Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

-28 the right amount of Lean/Angle early

cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 685 Crazy Baller
I have made the -28 pass last year a handful of times but due to never really dialing it in and back issues from slack hits I spent last fall and this spring at -22.
This past Fri and Sunday I made it around 4 ball at -28 and feel like it will go down soon.

Initial issue fixed was giving up the lean/angle too soon, now I am staying on the lean a little too long carrying a lot of speed into 1ball

I usually do really well with a progressive gate dropping in gradually from the glide, however as it has been stated here before in similar threads at -28 there is a more intense lean early. Matt Rini calls it the 'Lean/Angle ratio -if your not familiar say at -22 or -32 for that matter if your lean angle is 4/10 intensity it needs to ramp up to 5 or 6/10 for the shorter line. Agree? Tried this?

The problem at -28 or any shorter line length is that its Faster..............duh. So obviously the tendency is to rush the turn, pull to long ect. I need to:
1) Find the right amount lean/angle intensity needed for -28 versus -22

2) Find the optimal place to give up that load for the early edge change needed at -28 but stay on the handle outbound.

I have watched every video out, video'd myself, gotten video coaching from Brooks Wilson and endless advice on the dock and boat but at real time it's not the same putting it all together -can you relate?
Vapor pro 2017

Comments

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,181 Mega Baller
    Try this. Do everything the same, just think about it earlier.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Greg Banish
  • bassfooterbassfooter Posts: 157 Baller
    Got any video at both -22 and -28? That would make it easier to help. Although there are many here far more qualified than I to offer coaching, what got me running -28s consistently was keeping my arms in off the second wake all the way out to the buoy line. I envision my trailing elbow being glued to my vest all the way out to the reach. This seems to help make that early edge change and it creates space before the next buoy.
    skiwoody
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    For me the biggest thing when going -28 and beyond or even starting out at the beginning of the season is my sight line. At -22 and longer, you can ski outbound until your eyes and head are near the buoy line and get away with it. Once you learn that you can let your ski cast out 5-7 feet beyond where your eyes are, the ski turns so much easier and all of a sudden the passes get so much easier too.
    Greg BanishToddL
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,040 Mega Baller
    Thanks @bassfooter you just gave me a simple thought. "Elbow Glue"
    Web
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,452 Mega Baller
    What exactly is casting out? @Waternut are anyone else.
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    The ski should cast out meaning you are letting the ski carry out to the buoy while your body lags on the inside of the buoy.
  • Greg BanishGreg Banish Posts: 99 Baller
    I'm not that far away from you. I feel like I more or less own -22 and usually have a decent shot at -28 (done it plenty of times). Honestly, I run -28 almost exactly the same as I run -22. The only difference I feel is the increased whip and lateral speed means I can change edges just a tick sooner coming across. Everything else kind of feels the the same as long as I don't mess up the fundamentals. The penalty for errors is certainly greater at -28, but if I keep my head up and just be smooth about completing the turn into the pull things fall into place. Easier said than done, but it's true.
    Skoot1123cragginshredbassfooter
  • ChadWChadW Posts: 98 Baller
    @cragginshred I would guess your lean is insufficient. I agree with Rini's philosophy. I started skiing in tournaments last year and an observation I made was the better skiers (38off and beyond) have significant leans at 28off. More lean will get you to the ball early, giving you more time to turn with a tight line.
  • MSMS Posts: 4,886 Mega Baller
    You need angle out of the ball upon hook up. If you over pull you will run deep past the ball and you are toast.
    Shut up and ski
    DmaxJC_skiLovell
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,452 Mega Baller
    I'm just a 28off skier but it seems like from 22 to 28 I automatically lean more in the turn which leads to more lean coming out of the turn into the pull. Is this an accurate description?
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 289 Baller
    Craig
    I'd say look at any pictures of freeze frames of video of your position directly behind the boat and compare it with the pros that are popular on Internet. Don't compare it to their -35 or shorter passes, but their starters, which are usually -28 or -32.

See that they are stacked, aligned, leaning back and on edge BIG time directly behind the boat. Now look at your own. Like mine, you're probably handle a bit away from hip, standing up too far and shoulders over the front foot. = flat ski, not enough speed to "cast out" the ski and a direct line to the ball which makes us panic a bit and edge again thus getting too much speed too late which results in slack and taking a hit on the backside of the ball.

Andy always said "speed is your friend". Read the GUT articles about how it's not about getting wide, but getting " up" on the boat, alongside if you will. The important thing is that you have to build and achieve that speed early(er) and keep your edge, stack and handle close to maintain the angle you set at finish of cut to 1 ball.

Once you get used to that intensity and lean timing, you may even find that -28 is a shorter albeit more intense pull that when maintained through white water gets you high on the boat and early at the ball. Resist the impulse to stand up cuz "I got this", and continue going wider and higher and backside that bad-buoy to stay ahead. Sounds easy eh!? It feels easy when you do it right my friend. For me? Maybe 50% of the time lol.

Good luck and check out pix of you and pros in the prop wash.
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Andy Mapple used to say ski with the same intensity opener through toughest pass.
    Jim Ross
    Texas6
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,172
    He told me the same thing after watching me layup on my 22' & 28' and then start skiing at 32'...And he really did ski that way
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***