Rules and Changes - Aug 31st Reminder

ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
edited June 2016 in Rules/Politics/Issues
Currently, there are some threads good discussions on understanding the new rule changes and ideas about rule changes. I wanted to remind everyone that the deadline to submit a formal rule change is on the horizon (Aug 31st) and not when the US summer is over. The time to discuss, refine, and vet for support is now. If you want to formally suggest rule changes, please see below.

(If you need to request a rule exception/deviation for your sanctioned event in the current year, click here.)

From the current rule book:
1.07 Interpretation of the Rules
Questions of interpretations of the rules should be referred to the Chairman of the Rules Committee when possible. In the interest of expediency, the Chairman may give his own interpretation, which shall be binding until the committee has been polled. This shall serve, however, only as a temporary interpretation until the Chairman refers the question to the entire committee for a vote in the normal fashion. Such a poll shall take place as promptly and in the most practical manner possible. Otherwise, the interpretation shall be made by a majority vote of the Appointed Judges, and the Chief Judge shall make a report to the Rules Committee concerning the question. Contact the Rules Committee representative from your Region if you need assistance.

1.08 Amendments to the Rules
The rules may be amended at any time by the Board of Directors, on its own initiative or at the recommendation of the Rules Committee. Until such time as a new edition of the rules is published, the current rules, as amended by the Board, remain in effect. An individual may submit to the Rules Committee, prior to August 31, proposed rule changes, including new tricks, to be evaluated for the next year's rules.

From the IWWF Rules:
1.05: Amendments to the Rules
Amendments made prior to the biennial revision of the rules must be approved by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of the members of the Tournament Council. The rules may be amended at any time by the Tournament Council. The amended rules shall become effective sixty (60) days after they are sent to each affiliated Federation except in the case of new tricks submitted prior to September 30, which may be added by simple majority, and become effective immediately on November 1. All new tricks submitted must include a video showing the trick. Until such time as a new biennial edition of the rules is published, the current rules, as amended by the Tournament Council, remain in effect. A unanimous decision of the members of the Tournament Council is immediately applicable.
Under the authority of the Tournament Council Chairman, proposed rules may be tested. The Chairman shall determine the appropriate homologation level under the test conditions. A complete report of the results of the test will be made by the Homologator and Chief Judge and sent to the Chairman for distribution to the Tournament Council.
-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
HortonMattLDrago

Comments

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,900 Crazy Baller
    Off topic just a little. At what point in history did AWSA wimp out and allow IWSF (at the time) start wagging the dog.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Drago
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    @LeonL I think it is the general top-down flow of things... World trumps National. If a World rule is adopted, then each National organization has to decide how to align to it for their elite levels.

What I have seen is this:
    Record AWSA and Nationals desire to align to IWWF/World qualifications.
    Regionals AWSA want to align to Nationals' competition format and rules, including boat assignments, etc.
    State AWSA tournaments, also then, want to align to Regionals' competition formate and rules, etc.

So then with all of these AWSA E/L/R, Nationals, Regionals, and State competitions aligning up, the class C sanctions start to adopt those formats and methods so as to serve as training grounds for the others. Next thing you know, we have end course, gate, and wireless boat video at a Class C event. Pretty cool if the site's LOC is dialed in, skilled, and capably staffed. It can be a mess if they aren't.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    walleye
    FYI - the official form to submit AWSA Rules Changes/Amendments is located here:
    Rules Change Form

An individual may submit to the Rules Committee, prior to August 31, proposed rule changes, including new tricks, to be evaluated for the next year's rules.
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,287 Historical Baller
    Interesting stuff. I may be submitting an application for a Rules Exception about gate
    scoring for certain Class C events to experiment with. Will see how it goes.

In the Way Back, there were significant differences in World and AWSA Rules. One of the
    most notable ones: the jumping records, where the AWSA record was longer than the
    World record in the 1960's. The AWSA jump record for Men starts from the Way Back,
    in 1947, while the World Record was only started in 1966.

Initially, the World Rules were mainly written to govern the World Tournament. They
    have been moving closer to AWSA Rules and vice versa. I am "responsible" for some of
    the Rules, such as specifying the ramp by H/L slope, the 55m pregates, and to an extent,
    the centerline video requirement.

Currently, there is a big expen$e and work needed vs. scoring entry gates. I'd sure like
    to see that vastly simplified. A lot of time, money, and effort to deal with something that
    happens in hundredths of a second.

And, by the way, I think there should be a 3/4 buoy score. If you can have 1/4 and 1/2,
    why not 3/4 ??
    Dragogsm_peter
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 452 Solid Baller
    Just remove the right hand entrance gate!
    jdarwinLovellTexas6
    edited July 2016
    @skierjp - I disagree. Keep it in the water. But, it the left hand entrance gate buoy should be ignored for scoring/judging.

It is needed for the skier to sight and time their entrance gates. However, a too late entrance gate shouldn't matter to a score. Likewise, a too early exit gate shouldn't matter, either.
    walleye
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    There has to be something that you must start after as you are entering the course. Otherwise just pull out to the right, start around 1, and you've created the 5 buoy slalom course.
    ToddLwalleye
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    We have gates. Go through them...
    walleyeNando
    @MrJones - I corrected my response above.

Right-hand entrance gate buoy - must have and judge/score. Left-hand entrance gate buoy - need present for skier timing/boat path, but not necessarily needed to be judged/score in my opinion.
    walleye
    Interesting stuff. Here is a Chet Raley idea that I may submit for a Rules Exception about gate scoring for certain Class C events. Where the skier must be on the 2-4-6 side of the boat wakes after the 55m pregates, but can cross the wakes toward # 1 any time after that. For skiers at 23m longline and maybe 15 off, they might pull extra early through the gates. For medium and deep shortline, you can't just hang out on the 1-3-5 side. In the Back When, with the long endgates, the top skiers getting into 30 off were hampered, and had to do a double-turn for # 1: cut through the gate, bounce, go straight, then hook around the ball.
    edited July 2016
    @Edbrazil - just for clarity, there are two processes with two different forms.

1) Rule Amendment - to request a permanent change to the rules
    2) Rules Exception - to request a temporary alteration of the rules for a specific event

Definitely would be going with Option #2 initially. To test and refine such a proposed rule.
    And applying to only Class C at the start. Eventual goal would be to get rid of the
    need for gate video, simplify judging, and reduce cost and complexity.
  • tbrenchleytbrenchley Posts: 120 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    The only thing that I would really like to see changed is the ridiculous rule that makes me determine if the middle of the ski is directly over the middle of the gate buoy. Why do we have to draw the line in the most difficult place possible? We can't just run over a turn ball in the course but for some reason we can clobber the right gate ball and hope the judge can see the centerline of my ski is not off an inch? That's just my two cents as a judge and skier. I used to push it until my gates were pulled on a pass that I couldn't have been more than an inch early but now I leave no doubt and never flirt with that gate ball anymore. Maybe it's just me?
    Drago
    Just a ping to put this back into view. If you have rule change/amendments, start drafting them.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 841 Crazy Baller
    @tbrenchley That's what I've been saying for years!
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 944 Crazy Baller
    Bump - reminder, the deadline is coming up this Wednesday.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    Rules Change/Amendment Form Print out, fill out, scan, and then email to these people: Rules Committee
    Last day to submit changes for 2017 ski year!
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,035 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Done!

Eric
    ToddL