Judging Question

skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
Scenario: skier runs 32, 35, opts up to 39, runs it - lots of slack at 6: gets back inside boat path, takes big hit- explodes out the front??? What say the masses? 6 no continuation? @klindy ?
Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    Did he went through the exit gates before exploding?
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    I believe it is 6NC. There are different rules for the end gates.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,046 Mega Baller
    6 no continuation
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    The computer was not letting the scorer enter 6 nc- any ideas? It's a big difference in score since it's an opt up
  • spicolispicoli Posts: 109 Baller
    Academy sports has some precut that's about as good as any , sure northern does to.if u buy at home depot or something and you want the nice black u just have to get it on 12 ft roll so you will have some extra
    RichardDoaneHortonjackski
  • ralral Posts: 1,670 Mega Baller
    edited July 2016
    If he did not go thru the gates, 6@ 38.

He missed 39, as he did not exit thru the gates. He did not complete the opt-up pass (IWSF 14.01, do not know which AWSA rule it is, but doubt it would be much different...).
    Rodrigo Andai
    Horton
    Rule changed for exit gates, have to make back to center, ski away and tight line not necessary
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,819 Mega Baller
    @ral I believe your analysis and conclusion are correct. The exit gate is part of a "pass" and the pass has to be completed to get credit for the skipped pass/rope length. #iskiconnelly
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    RichardDoaneral
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    I agree if the skier didn't get out the exit gates they don't get credit for the full pass which would mean no credit for the opt up.
    Mark Shaffer
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    What would happen if the skier made it through the gates with the handle and subsequently was caught in the curl of the wake and fell between the gates and the setdown area?
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,900 Crazy Baller
    @skidawg, we never did find out if the skier went through the exit gates. You initially mentioned "inside the boat path", which means nothing really. Where exactly did said "explosion" occur? If the skier went through the exit gate, then fell, it's 6-nc and the score should reflect -39. However if the skier went, say to the right of the gate, it's still 6-nc but the score should probably be -38.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    @LeonL's two scenarios are a clear way to get at the correct answer.

1) Missing the exit gates too early would result in a 6 ball score but not a complete pass and no continuation. Since there was no completed pass, the score would go in as the next sequential speed/line (-38 in the above example).

2) However, if the handle/skiing position was lost after successfully skiing out the exits gates, then the pass was completed. There is still no continuation, but in this case the score should reflect a completed pass at the opt up speed/line (-39).

The real question here is this: Does the scoring program have a solution to record what happened correctly? I am pretty sure that the scoring could enter #1 in as 6NC and the buoy count would reflect a -38 result. In order to reflect the -39 result, the scorer would enter in a normal 6 at the opt up speed. Then, indicate that the skier did not successfully attempt the entrance gates at -41. Thus, the score would reflect the buoy count of the -39 result.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    MattPsantangelo
    @skidawg the real question is did anyone capture your explosion on video?
    MS
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,819 Mega Baller
    @MISkier Same result #iskiconnelly
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,900 Crazy Baller
    As @ToddL said, if the scoring program doesn't have the appropriate solution to properly reflect what the score should be, some common sense logic can be applied to render a correct score.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    edited July 2016
    It was in the E - unfortunately no video, boat judge did say the ejection happened thru the gates, on a high note, my arms are now an inch longer
    ski6jones
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,879 Moderator
    @skidawg from your description that might change things if you made it through the gates with the handle.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,532 Administrator
    I would suggest the skier simply go home and cry in his IPA

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

MattPricoJohn Brooks
    No need to cry @Horton - just want the 6@39 in the books, i have other scores better than that for the weekend. It seems like a gray area that needs addressing.
  • TriplettTriplett Posts: 205 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    This is a tricky one. In my view, you have to ski away for the score to be at 39. This would mean you were entering the course on the next pass at 41, meaning the lowest score you could get is 0@41, I think that equates to 114 @ 36 and 108 @ 34.

If you fall after the gates, I still think that counts as a 6 NC, which to me would mean no run of of the opt, you get a score of 6 @ 38.

Brent Triplett - Michigan
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Having been there, you would really have to go with boat judge's call on it in regard to through the gates or not. The way the judging is set up no one has a perfect lateral view of the gates to call it. From the amount of speed present when you throw your ski around 6 at 39 my thought is that you would be through the gate by the time it comes tight.

Alternate though. Did they look at the gate cameras and see if they could tell that way?
  • jlittlejlittle Posts: 248 Baller
    edited July 2016
    I believe the scoring program can handle this. Missing the gate to the 6 ball side is 5 1/2. Pretty standard. Enter the score & time. Click Skier Done.

Getting back to the line of the gate buoys & loosing the handle, falling or missing the gates to the right hand side would be 6 NC. The scorer would need to know the skier missed the exit gates. Enter the score, uncheck the exit gate box & enter the time. Click Skier Done. The program should take care of the scoring portion at that point.

Getting out the exit gates is also 6 NC. At this point you enter the 6 & the time (exit gate boxes stay checked) then click Skier Done. A window will pop up asking for an explanation. You type in Skier lost handle & click OK. Or skier decided he was scared to try the next pass. Or skier went to the hospital to fix separated shoulders. Or what ever. The program should take care of the score.

My memory is not that great but I think this is how the computer portion is handled.
    MISkiersantangelo
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    edited July 2016
    I was the boat judge and Ward was clearly back inside the boat path with a ton of slack when the rope got tight and he took the hit he was still ahead of the exit gates! After the explosion and he went through the exit gates he still had the handle but all you could see was his ass and the Velcro on the bottom of his binding plate! Score of 6 NC no credit for the opt up! Great skiing this weekend dawg and the Tiger as well! Also a shout out to Wards son Logan who is taking a break from skiing so he could do a little dominating at the Road Bike Nationals!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    ski6jones
  • ralral Posts: 1,670 Mega Baller
    @Triplett, if you fall after the gate, fail your following waterstart or miss the entry gate on the next pass, you get the exact same score. 0@41 is the same score than 6@39.
    Rodrigo Andai
    santangelo
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 533 Crazy Baller
    What if he held onto the rope and tumbled up?
    skidawg
    @DaveD, I think the skier would be able to continue, per the rule below (especially the last sentence):

8.06 A Fall
    A fall in any event is when any one of the following occurs:
    A. The skier loses possession of the tow line (except as noted in Rules 9.11,
    10.11 and 11.11); or
    B. The skier does not have at least one ski on one foot; or
    C. The weight of the skier is not primarily supported by his ski or skis, and in
    addition the skier is unable ultimately to regain skiing position.

If the skier does not lose possession of the tow line, has at least one ski on at all times, and ultimately regains skiing position, there has been no fall.
    edited July 2016
    @daved I actually saw that in a tournament some 30 years ago - a (rather crazy) skier hit 5 ball, yard saled, lost his ski, but held onto the rope and tumbled up and barefooted to the end of the lake. Funny as hell at the time and pretty impressive, but alas his weight was not supported by the ski, so no score.

I'm willing to make sizeable wager that there is no way Skidawg could manage that feat.
    @DaveD, your question reminded me of this video.

RichardDoane
    @Bruce_Butterfield wouldn't even consider it