Have you read the rules?

ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
edited July 2016 in Rules/Politics/Issues
How well do you know the rules? Be honest... No really. What have you really done to educate yourself?

This poll is anonymous, so please answer truthfully.

Have you read the rules? 54 votes

I'm a judge; and I just rely on clinics and word of mouth from other judges as to the rules changes.
3% 2 votes
I'm a judge; and I have never read the rule book in its entirety, but I skim the changes summary each year.
1% 1 vote
I'm a judge; and I have never read the rule book in its entirety, but I read the changes summary in its entirety each year.
7% 4 votes
I'm a judge; and I have read the rule book in its entirety in the last 5 years.
14% 8 votes
I'm a judge; and I have read the rule book in its entirety in the last 12 months.
22% 12 votes
I'm NOT a judge; however, I have read the rule book in its entirety in the last 5 years.
7% 4 votes
I'm NOT a judge; and I have NOT read the rule book, but I wanted to participate in this poll anyway, so thank goodness this answer was here for me to select.
42% 23 votes
-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.

Comments

• ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    I've probably read about 65% of the 100+ page monster that is our rules. As you can see from my posts, I know how to get to them on-line and can research unique scenarios when needed. I stay up on the changes and really dive in to understand how they might apply in various situations. Honestly though, I have never read the full thing cover to cover.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 841 Crazy Baller
    I read the rules every spring and then some. What else would you do?
  • BRYBRY Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    I'm a judge; and I have read the rule book in its entirety in the last 5 years.
    Reading it in its entirety isn't really necessary if you have once. But I have read it all plus the tech manual and others completely once. Just wanted to know what was in there. Unless there is a change some parts don't need to be re-read, like regional and national tourney qualifications. I'm not a jumper nor jump judge so I don't review the jump rules. I do read the changes when released and flip through the slalom portion at the beginning of each year. I also print it each year in booklet form and have it bound, only costs a couple bucks. Seems to come in handy a couple times a year at tourney's.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,620 Mega Baller
    I might be lying. I for sure read the entire rule book at one point, but it may not have actually been within the last 5 years.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,170 Mega Baller
    I have had an assistant judge rating for slalom for the past 8 years that I acquired from going to tournaments and meeting the necessary requirements. As of the current ski season I am also a level 8 slalom skier in the USA waterski rankings books. With only the assistant rating I don't believe that frequent readings of the rule book are going to add anything to my ability to count to six so long as I maintain an understanding of the quarter, half, continuation, and no continuation rules. If I were a regular or senior judge and frequently acted as chief judge or participated in L/R tournaments rather than C then I would likely make a point of going through the rule book with some level of frequency.
  • E_TE_T Posts: 542 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    Tacos should be in the poll everyone likes tacos
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
    HortonTexas6
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,547 Administrator
    I just call @skimom when i have a question. She loves it when i call her at her work to talk about 1/4 bouys

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,840 Mega Baller
    I am a 3 event assistant judge. I have to admit the minutia of the jumping rules made me nod off and I didn't finish them. I have been to clinics and try to skim the changes. I did do some online clinics as well.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    How does she feel about 3/4 buoys, @Horton ?