Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding Zero-Off to Maliby TXi

redskiredski Posts: 2 New Baller
I am about to buy a used Malibu TXi for slaloming in the Houston area. Based on the current listings, it will probably be a 2012, 2013, or 2014 model. Several of them do not have Zero-Off with GPS, so I would need to have it installed. Does anyone have any experience/advice adding Zero-off to an existing boat? Who did you get to install it and were you happy with the results? I understand that StarGazer could be added, but I prefer Zero-Off.

Comments

• wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    Think it should be straight forward. Go to the zero off website, they sell kits
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,255 Crazy Baller
    For those years listed I think it's a pretty simple deal. If you have any DIY mechanical or electrical expertise you can do it yourself.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,253 Mega Baller
    For any of those years of TXi, it should be nearly plug and play for ZO. They already have the eControls ECM. Just route some cables and install the display in the dash.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,456 Mega Baller
    I'm really surprised that a TXI would come w/out Zero off. I've been looking the last year are so and haven't seen one w/out it.
  • GlockGlock Posts: 192 Baller
    I'm with you @gregy, I just bought a 2012 txi, and I've never seen one without zero off.
    Jody_Seal
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,456 Mega Baller
    I'm in the Austin area. I did a lot of research on ZO conversions fell free to contact me.
  • redskiredski Posts: 2 New Baller
    Thanks for the help. There are several TXI listed on OnlyInboards that don't have ZO, so look carefully when shopping.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,255 Crazy Baller
    @redski , you did mention "stargazer could be added". Don't even think about that!!!
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    DanEMISkier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,683 Administrator
    edited January 2017
    @redski there's no such thing as zero off without GPS. I believe that all Malibu slalom boats since 2008 or 2009 have come standard with zero off. The lawsuit between zero off and perfect past stipulated that perfect pass could not be installed as original manufacturer equipment since then.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,120 Mega Baller
    edited January 2017
    @Horton Malibu had Malibu cruise control as an option. And Malibu cruise control could be paddlewheel or GPS based. If you have the GPS module there is a setting that allows you to switch between the two.

This is the 2013 availability. Looks like Precision Pro is the base system. That system used to be paddle wheel based, not 100% sure if it is in 2013 or not.

Same thing in 2016

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,895
    Not true, Horton. Zero Off was option. Typically you'd usually see it ordered without at a dealer who was just placing a stocking order. That lowered their floor plan cost and was no big deal because if the buyer wanted ZO they could add it in a few hours.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

tdusin
    I have been wrong before. I just can't imagine ordering a $60,000 or $70,000 boat without ZO. It doesn't compute in my world.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,120 Mega Baller
    @Horton - there are an awful lot of ski boats that never see a course.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    tdusin
    edited January 2017
    @oldjeep I guess I had stuck in my head that boats like a TXi only ever make it out into the market as promo boats. I was or still am under the impression that tournament boats are very rarely sold directly to the consumer through a dealer.

• jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 474 Solid Baller
    I just bought a new 16 left over 200 from the dealer, not a promo. Talking to him it sounds like he actually sells a fair number of non-promo DDs.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 896 Mega Baller
    @Horton on my northern WI lake, DDs outnumber VDs 2:1. I know of one that was a promo boat.
    Ok i learned something today

• swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,018 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    x2 on the northern WI DD's. Not a single promo on our chain of lakes, but it's full of DD's.
    Scott Calderwood
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 580 Crazy Baller
    edited January 2017
    I have a neighbor with a 2013 TXI, special color scheme and a lot of options. No Zero Off. I thought well that's just stupid. Some people with money buy ski boats just to say they have a ski boat. And no he does not ski. Great tubing boat though!
  • MSMS Posts: 4,901 Mega Baller
    In early 2015 we looked at new 14 TXI from a Buford Ga dealer. They wanted 46k for it and we were close to pulling the trigger but then we found out no ZO. Adding the ZO would have blown our budget.
    Shut up and ski
  • DougDoug Posts: 42 Baller
    Check to see if it has a E-control ECM on the engine if so you may only need to load a new calibration in it so it recognizes ZO the rest is easy as Malibu builds a breakout tee so its all plug and play your kit will come with the ECI puck drill one you have any questions you can call me I have done 6 Malibu's 909 223 4427