Help me understand AWSA rankings as applied to me.

sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,054 Crazy Baller
edited August 2016 in Rules/Politics/Issues
I am not a member but just trying to understand. I am male, 53, and have not skied in any tournaments. If I were to join, and consider doing a tournament, I would be a M5, Level 3 (all others)? And I would run with other M5's with start run time depending on my ranking? For example, today, with no ranking at all, I would run absolutely first? But of course, if I thought this through, I would not run today as I would not have qualified. But something similar would be scheduled at some other local tournaments until I made myself a ranking?

See today's schedule here: NationalsM5Schedule2016

Comments

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    edited August 2016
    Local tournaments may or may not schedule you on a ranking basis, as many tournament officials must ski and officiate. The smaller the tournament, the more difficult it would be to schedule the running order according to ranking, while accommodating the officiating needs.

State tournament running order would be by ranking, as would regionals and nationals. With no ranking, you would be first in your age group.

If you are deciding to ski tournaments and worried about going first, don't be. Some will have novice rules that allow you 4 passes minimum until you have run a pass for an official score at the max speed for your age group. That takes some of the pressure off, even if you miss your first pass.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    sunvalleylawThan_Bogan
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 263 Solid Baller
    @sunvalleylaw go to a tournament at Gilbert Lake in Middleton. There are 2 more there this year. The first 2 weekends in September. Tournament is run in a never made format. Never made 15,never made 22, never made 28 etc. You will ski in a group that is at the same skill level as you. I will be there both weekends. Great group of people, lake ski's great, lot of pb's are skied on their lake.
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    MISkierThan_Bogansunvalleylaw
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,620 Mega Baller
    Jump into tournaments now so you can have the fun of watching your ranking climb over the years! That was a GREAT experience for me. Arguably more fun than becoming (relatively) good eventually.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    sunvalleylawunksskis