Boat buying decision....(driving me nuts).

LazLaz Posts: 286 Baller
Hi Ballers, apologies for the long post.

After 9 years of great service, I think my family has outgrown out our current boat. It's not an entirely rational decision, but I have it my head to get a new boat. We have three generations of skiers. Some ski long line at 26-28 mph, others are working on 35 off 34 mph. An important factor is tracking if I hope to get my wife to drive for me. We will trailer the boat and ski on public water with a drop in course.

Please help me decide:

2015 Nautique 200: a bit more expensive, but very used to it from our local club and tournaments.
1) is it worth the extra money?
2) If I get a closed bow, will it not work as well as a family boat?
3) is this the gold standard?

2015 Mastercraft Prostar: (current first choice)
1) Only skied behind it twice. Seemed great at 22' off. Should be good at long line and slower speeds.
2) Is it very loud? Didn't notice.
3) Are the trick wakes inadequate? My son is starting to trick.
4) Is the wake too wide? Is the boat too strong? (things I've heard but can't confirm).
5) How well does it track?

2016 or 2017 Malibu TXi
1) Any reason not to get this one? Seems good all around.

Centurion Carbon Pro
1) Skied behind it once. Seems nice. Only closed bow. How well does it track?
2) Trick wakes?

Anything else I should consider?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• WishWish Posts: 6,747 Mega Baller
    Let the loyalty wars begin....
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Bill22Shakeski
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    I'm surprised the 200 is more expensive than the prostar.

I've not driven either but I've "heard" the prostar is not as easy to drive.

The txi is probably the best public lake all around family boat.
    Chuck_Dickey
  • PorkfightPorkfight Posts: 180 Baller
    edited August 2016
    The TXi is pretty great if you need a boat that can occasionally be put into service as an open bow party barge but the interior isn't as modern as the others, if that's a concern. It's still very nice. Aside from the wetted surface (and, therefore, wake), the rest of the boat hasn't really changed since 2007. I spent three days behind a Carbon Pro last year and was pulled at 26 to learn the course. The wake was a tidal wave at -15, as it probably is in most boats. My tug is an '08 LXi and it doesn't feel as massive as the CP did at that pace. SN200 and Prostar were my first choice but everything I've read indicated that they have lower freeboard and aren't as good for recreational use as the Malibus. If you have flat water and money isn't a concern...used SN200 OB or Prostar. All of your options are great, though.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,470 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Hmm. Sounds like open bow option would be helpful. With that...

Each of those hulls been around a bit...why buy new? Save a pile and find a used Txi, 200 open bow or Prostar and you will be fine (would get the big motor in the Prostar and from an ideal standpoint in the 200).
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Than_Bogan
  • dtm8119dtm8119 Posts: 165 Baller
    Is an open bow a requirement for you? It seems that way reading your post...how many people are usually with you each time you get on the water?

Dan Cloutier
  • LazLaz Posts: 286 Baller
    @Wish Yes, hopefully no loyalty wars, but the responses so far are good.

@Porkfight, @6balls Money is a concern, and I don't think I'll buy new.

I'm looking at a 2015 Prostar with 110 hours. I think this tops the list. The second choice is a 2014 200 with 390 hours, well maintained but closed bow.

@dtm8119 I'm not sure an open bow is that important to me but my wife disagrees.
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,412 Mega Baller
    All good choices. Can't go wrong with the 200 for tracking. However, I own a 2015 Prostar and I think it drives great. Very good utility on the interior space and strong driver ergonomics. TXI is a solid slalom tug but for and finish aren't going to stay nice for as long as the other two.
    Jim Ross
  • DanoDano Posts: 74 Baller
    If your going to be on public water, an open bow could be a bit of a concern if the lake has sizeable waves when it blows up. That open bow will catch a lot of water should it take a wave over the top.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,484 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Sit back take a deep breath and then ask yourself why ? The 200 is more expensive.
    It tracks well, it pulls well , it has great wakes for all speeds + tricking, it is comfortable to drive all day, nowadays you get what you pay for, the other boats will do the job, your call

"How Nice Is It, When You Feel The Boat Release You ”

Pat M
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 536 Crazy Baller
    What do you have now?
  • jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 213 Baller
    One of my ski partners got a 16 prostar back in May, great boat just we all hate driving it, but then again I am a lifer nautique guy
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,860 Mega Baller
    Our club boat is a 15 TXi. Great boat. Drives very well. That said, I'd take any of the choices listed.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • fox197fox197 Posts: 95 Baller
    All boats will be great. Lots of brand loyalty. Fwiw does the prostar have the bow cover with it or is it only the open bow with no cover
  • WishWish Posts: 6,747 Mega Baller
    @Gloersen gets the Baller Genius Of The Month post...
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    6ballsRmengdahljerrymbraindamage
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,820 Crazy Baller
    @jetpilotg4 I drive MC all year and SN only when I bum sets with my neighbor once or twice a year. It's an adjustment and I used to work at a Marina. Just glad I never have to drive wake boats
    jetpilotg4
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 536 Crazy Baller
    @Gloersen @Wish but that's always temporary. My wife was/is the greatest female driver. After my son was born, she won't drive for me, will barely even get in the boat. Very upsetting for me.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,579 Mega Baller
    Closed bow - not the most useful family boat if you intend to have more than 2 people and their stuff in the boat when towing, which pretty much eliminates the Nautique and the Centurion

Malibu tends to have a wedge on it which makes it a more useful all around boat if your kids want to wakeboard at some point.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • Howa1500Howa1500 Posts: 137 Baller
    Open bows have a better resale
    wtrskiorShakeskiMS
  • LazLaz Posts: 286 Baller
    @Gloersen I couldn't agree more. At this point she is just tolerating my planned purchase.

@jetpilotg4 What do you hate about driving it?

@fox197 Yes, it has the removable bow cover

@Orlando76 We have a 2007 Moomba Outback. There is actually nothing wrong with the boat. However, as my son and I start to ski shorter line lengths and get a bit more competitive (me), a lot more competitive (son, he's at the nationals today), the differences become more obvious. Besides, no zero-off and the much harsher wake, drive ability is key as I will not have experienced drivers most of the time.

@MISkier My PB is actually behind a TXi.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    Buy a promo boat. Now is the time to get a motivated promo owner to hook you up. Support the promo program and you will get basically a new boat perfectly maintained but having all the bugs worked out and anything that wasnt perfect has been fixed by the dealer already.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    swc5150
  • slowslow Posts: 257 Baller
    Open bow Naiutuque 200. Easiest to drive
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,579 Mega Baller
    If you are thinking of buying a TXI, I'd wait at least a few months. Supposed to be a redesign for 2017, typically that increases the supply of the previous year boats and reduces the prices for the older model.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 417 Crazy Baller
    Listen to your wife. Get an open bow. Not a question.
    braindamage
  • Niles TaylorNiles Taylor Posts: 55 Baller
    Mastercraft Prostar. Too loud...No. Tracking and comfortable driving...Good. Boat too strong? Wha...never. Ski and drive friends 2016 6.2L and it's pretty nice to drive and ski. Tracking is excellent. Short setup....never a problem. 22' off...typical bump not bad.
    ShakeskiBroussard
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,470 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    A 6.2 Prostar is wicked, but now that you've made a few more comments in this thread regarding wife and drive-ability I would go open bow 200...preferably 6.0 motor.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Broussard
  • supergadgetsupergadget Posts: 50 Baller
    I'm amazed at how different all the boats can be.
    I have had experience with '15, '16 Txi . Great wake , but to drive straight you need a spotter.

The 200 wake is soo good from 23mph to 36 that it's hard to believe it could work .Also zero spray! Also the boat drives so well with only a driver , or a full boat. It's clearly a better tracking boat.

Than slow a bit more with the wake shaper gear shift, and it's incredible again for trick sports.

The 200 hull again is hands down more roomy than a 196, or Txi.
    @6balls is right. Pair 200 with the 6.0 and driving is so smooth and easy for spouse(or for everyone).
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,625 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    +on a 200ob. A little more work keeping the nose out of the lake than a TXi, but the most overall user-friendly and comfortable boat of the choices I think. I've been disagreed with on this, but my wife's and sister's boobs don't lie...the public water ride of the MC is hard on a lady's chest. When just joking about buying a new boat, my wife said I better hire a driver too, if I bought a Prostar.
    Scott Calderwood
    tdusinrockdog
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 295 Solid Baller
    Your wife lets you look at her sisters boobs?
    6ballsdislandswc5150
  • supergadgetsupergadget Posts: 50 Baller
    @swc5150 . First part-that's true!. 200 cruises smooth
    Second part-I can totally relate! Could lose a driver!. My wife went a step further, from driver: to boat crew: to now she just skis!