Malibu Open Waterski Championship Returns for 2016!

HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator
Loudon, Tenn. | June 23, 2016 - The Malibu Open Waterski Championship will return to Milwaukee’s lakefront Veteran’s Park Lagoon August 19 and 20, where the world’s top professional and junior athletes will compete in traditional slalom and long-distance jumping divisions. This exciting two-day event is free and open to the public, attracting athletes and spectators from across the globe.

The Malibu Open Championship is set against the backdrop of beautiful Milwaukee’s skyline for the seventh consecutive year. It is the perfect venue for spectators, families and friends to witness and interact with the world’s best ski athletes. The athletes in attendance will compete for cash prizes and elite world rankings in slalom and/or jump divisions.

Athletes in the slalom division travel through a six-buoy course at a constant speed of 36 miles per hour with an initial rope length of 43 feet. After completing each pass the rope length is shortened, increasing intensity and difficulty. The athlete who rounds the most buoys with the shortest rope length, wins.

Skiers dart towards a 6-foot high ramp in the long-distance jumping division, reaching speeds of 70 miles per hour as they take flight for distances over 200 feet. Each athlete gets three opportunities to jump the ramp, and ultimately, whoever travels the farthest, wins.

The Malibu Open event is produced by the Pro Ski Tour, sponsored by Malibu Boats and free for all to come & enjoy. Concessions and parking will be organized by the Milwaukee County Parks Department.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Comments

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 944 Crazy Baller
    Webcast - Here is the LINK for Friday and Saturday
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • bojansbojans Posts: 159 Baller
    Is anyone a little concerned about being in Milwaukee given the recent events?
  • tru-jacktru-jack Posts: 138 Baller
    I'm packing up the family and trekking down from Ontario Canada, great event, and really hoping the recent events do not effect the open. Leaving tomorrow am. Can't wait.
    I'm here now and the area from downtown to the ski site is not affected at all. Come on out to enjoy another fantastic event.
    sunnydaysmn
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,164 Mega Baller
    I've talked to a couple friends in Milwaukee and they've said the recent events are isolated to a different part of the city.
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 351 Solid Baller
    I hope the weather cooperates. Last year it misted all saturday. As of now there showing rain all day saturday with a chance of severe storms. Any chance they would move finals to sunday if it was a washout?
    2000 Malibu Response LX 67 Radar senate double vector highwraps
  • mlangemlange Posts: 144 Baller
    That's correct. The events that occurred are a long ways from downtown and the lakefront. There's no reason that what occurred should factor into any decision to attend or not.

Mike
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 655 Crazy Baller
    Yeah, last year was misting and cold all day. Really hoping to have some better weather this year.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 572 Crazy Baller
    Saturday's not looking so hot. Friday looks really hot. It's muggy today. Just got off the lake an hour ago and didn't stop sweating for 20 minutes.

@bojans don't sweat the news. As others have said, that's far away from the lakefront. It's like Chicago. The riff raff pretty much stays in tiny pockets of the city. You can go two blocks from the hood and be in areas of beautiful 4k sq ft suburban homes in parts of Milwaukee.
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,148 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2016
    wow look at the running order. It looks like everyone but Freddie and CP are on the list.

http://goo.gl/SsbOS4

Anyone know for sure if Nate is skiing? He is on the list.

Edit: also KC not on the list.
    KC, Brooks, Trent, CP not coming. Not sure about Nate. Would surprise me if he makes it. Good to see TGas back this year.
    Nate is on site, but had a black removable cast on his foot. Doubt he will ski.
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    Is there a schedule posted somewhere?
    @Orlando76 follow the link in my post above and go to menu/ event.
  • CParrish43CParrish43 Posts: 38 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Rain rain go away..
    I'm predicting a round one 8 skier tie for fourth place at 2/-41.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Is this legit speed, or pro tourney/show speed?
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,164 Mega Baller
    What happened to Will? I missed his run and he wasn't in the top 12 at the end.
  • gjohnsongjohnson Posts: 273 Baller
    4 @ 10.75.
    Greg Johnson ~ Team Beer
    RazorRoss3
  • gjohnsongjohnson Posts: 273 Baller
    Live scoring waterskiresults.com/
    Greg Johnson ~ Team Beer
  • WishWish Posts: 6,742 Mega Baller
    Scores posted anywhere. Can only catch a few skiers on web cast here and there..
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

RazorRoss3
    edited August 2016
    @RazorRoss3 I saw the same thing when they showed the top 12. They must not have updated the list adding Will. I was watching and they said he ran -39.5. I was wondering why he didn't come back at -41.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    I heard the announcer say they were taking the top 16 and that anything more than 3@39 was in for sure. That is what Will got and it looked like he stood up after he got it. Just enough. Must not have wanted any seeding consideration.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Wish
    First round this year was sortof a dud compared to last year where we had a couple guys deep into or through 41. Didn't see Nate but wasn't looking for him either. Was a bit surprised to see CP drove himself up from FL for it. Wish he was skiing in it.

Day started pretty crappy, ended pretty steamy.
    AkBob
    I see 3 skiers with 3@39...are they in or out?
    @Wish not sure who is in but they said no run off. If there was a tie they would use ranking list to break a tie.
    edited August 2016
    @Wish, top 16 make cut. Tie broken by ranking, meaning Parsons "should" be out. Not always crystal clear...
    Hah!! Cale Burdick is in!! ....go team Denali. Sorry had to say it. ;)
    DmaxJC_skiBruce_ButterfieldCaleBurdick