2017 HO VTX

DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 263 Solid Baller
Who's on one besides me. What are your thoughts? Settings?
67" 29 3/8 6.891 2.497 .740. 9*
According to my calipers. Bought a new pair that is 2/100ths longer on every fin measurement.
Ski is amazing at times. Seems sensitive to binding placement. Balanced on both sides if I pull my head out of my ___
Not really what I would call a forgiving ski the way I have it set up. I move around to much.
I wanted to try some different settings but the fin hit the clamp bolts so I am as shallow and as short as I can go for now. Waiting on a response from HO as to whether I should take a dremel to my fin. Little disappointed in the lack of communication. Sent an e-mail over a week ago and today I get a reply"sorry I'm out of the office contact so and so".???
Time for a reply but can't take two seconds to answer my question.
@savaiusini (not who I emailed) is this a problem on all VTX or did I get the wrong fin??
davestaxidermystudio.com
Ralph Lee

Comments

• ozskiozski Posts: 1,377
    Dave that feedback seems to counter their marketing. I was under the impression the VTX was a "stable and forgiving" ski. I will be interested to see how you go getting this ski dialed in and the feedback from others.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• savaiusinisavaiusini Posts: 227 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @DaveLemons Wingerter has been out on vacation for a week and just got back today. I'll chat with him tomorrow and get back with you here.
    Sam Avaiusini - Operations Manager, HO Sports Company, Snoqualmie, WA
    aupatkingart90notch
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 263 Solid Baller
    @ozski I truly believe the ski is what they claim. I'm really limited due to the issue with the fin.
    davestaxidermystudio.com
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 231 Baller
    @DaveLemons where did you the vtx?
    edited August 2016
    Here is the real scoop... For those who have not seen the VTX, it resembles no other ski you've ever seen. The team created an entirely new shape and removed all excess material. Due to the reduced thickness profile of the VTX tail, the rear cutout on the traditional Syndicate fin needs to be deeper in order to match the extremely long and shallow settings Will Asher has been running (6.990 2.460 0.740).

We are updating our fin cutouts to allow skiers to reach where Will prefers skiing his fin (longer and shallower). This will be done for mass production but was not possible in time for nationals. The fin numbers Wingerter gave you are HO's recommended settings and are what Jon Travers and Bob LaPoint are using. They are pretty traditional HO recommended settings: 6.890 2.495 0.740

If you want to reach Asher's shallower numbers, simply file the rear cutout on the top of your fin blade slightly. In fact, you would have to do this regardless of the tail being thin. We will be happy to send anyone who purchased a VTX at Nationals an updated blade when they are in production. Again, the fin on the skis currently do allow for our recommended settings.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. We are really excited about what this ski is doing!
    IronR1wtrskioraupatking
    @bkreis I bought it at nationals
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    @savaiusini thanks for clearing this up.
    I must apologize to Wingerter for posting this in a public forum. The guy should be allowed to take a vacation and not have to check his email everyday. I have very limited time left in my season and got frustrated for no real reason.
    Sorry Dave..
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    aupatking
    @DaveLemons all good, my friend!
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 231 Baller
    @savaiusini , really looking forward to riding this ski. I ride a T1 run a shallow fin as well 2.460..if Will and others including myself prefer shallow fins, don't you think HO should make it to accommodate??? I wouldn't want to file a fin to see if I like the ski! In the event I were to not like it, I'd feel bad returning it like that! don't you think???
    @bkreis they are addressing the issue at the factory. Not really a big deal to fix with a file. They know it's a issue and I doubt they would have a problem with you returning the ski with a filed fin.

Fixed my fin and adjusted my fin.
    6.880 2.495 .740 29 3/8 9*
    Skied in a 13 mph. Head tail so I couldn't get a great deal for the changes but I think for me this is really close to money.
    Really freed up the ski and resolved a lot of the issues I had. Way more forgiving in rough water.
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    Finally one set without the breeze (15-20mph.) as they call it in Idaho.
    Ski is absolutely incredible
    You owe it to yourself to try one
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    aupatkingToddA
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 971 Crazy Baller
    @DaveLemons did u ski the VTR? How do they compare
    @Ilivetoski I did not ski the VTR. My last ski was the A3. VTR gets me earlier to the ball than any other ski I have been on. Really balanced turns on both sides.
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    aupatkingRPT
  • blakeyatesblakeyates Posts: 29 Baller
    Will the OB4 front plate mount on the spine of the VTX? My concern is the extreme front of the plate where it either connects to the ski with double-sided tape or an after-market insert (which I've never added).
    Blake Yates
    Nautique Promo Rep, GA
    Jrbeeks
    davestaxidermystudio.com

davestaxidermystudio.com
    Changed settings to long and shallow before the last tournament. Skied 8 passes on new settings before tournament. First round ran 3.5@35 and second round ran 4.5@35 ..should have ran the last one. My average is usually around 2.5@38 but this is a off year due to boat driver having shoulder surgery. I've only ran a couple of 35's all year.
    Ski really coming to life now.
    Huge thanks to @Superchicken and @MAD11 For helping me get this ski working. Always willing to answer any questions and offer advice.
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    bkreissavaiusini
  • LakeOneSkierLakeOneSkier Posts: 218 Baller
    edited September 23
    I’ve got a VTX with the bad fin and I’m not clear on what part of the fin to file down. I’ve shaved a bit off the very back horizontal part but it made no difference. Do I shave it where the set screws hit?

@DaveLemons , @savaiusini
    Baller Index: -31.67

I filed down the circled area.
    @LakeOneSkier You need to file down the area where the numbers and lines are. I’m assuming it won’t go deep enough so you file both slots where the fin clamp bolts hit maybe even the middle hole if memory serves correct
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    Thanks @DaveLemons