Thomas Wayne - Arm-Guards

skisprayskispray Posts: 118 Baller
Does anyone know if Thomas Wayne is still making Arm-Guards? He actually has a website that I found where you can email him your order but I got an 'email undeliverable' message when I tried that. I'm not sure if he's still in the business.
Tagged:

Comments

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,054 Mega Baller
    edited August 2016
    I tried to buy one a couple of years ago. He answered me once, I submitted the order and never heard from him again. I tried many times over nearly a year to contact him, including through people on this site that know him. No response. I did not receive my order. I filed a dispute with PayPal, but I had waited too long.

So, I am out the cash and never got my order.

I ended up making my own. I did also buy one from a BOS member who was selling his.

I think the Arm-Guard ship has sailed.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,096 Crazy Baller
    I saw the panda before I saw the comment and thought I had scored one for the corny joke.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • DragoDrago Posts: 990 Crazy Baller
    Should get one for each
    Sr sl driver & judge
  • skisprayskispray Posts: 118 Baller
    So are people just making their own or using the Fluid Motion version these days? Any other alternatives?
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,048 Mega Baller
    Make your own.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Andreskialex
  • GlockGlock Posts: 192 Baller
    What material do you use to make them?
  • wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 132 Baller
    I ordered HDPE material off ebay and made my own.
    Matt
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 479 Crazy Baller
    Gorilla Tape
    MSThan_Boganaupatking
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,801 Mega Baller
    In-Tow handles have a simple bar to prevent head-through. (Probably not very effective against arm-through, but smashing up your arm is a different thing entirely from breaking your neck.)
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,191 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan - so true. Head through - pretty much one outcome. Arm through - several ranging from "whew, that was close, look at that bruise" to "where tf is my arm?" I had a mid-range, arm-through accident. Dislocated elbow, missed rest of the season. It's worth throwing some tape on there or guard of your choice to at least decrease the likelihood or arm through. And, no, your arm is not going to get stuck in there and not come out because of your guard. Trust me, it gonna come out.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    AkBob
    There was another thread on BOS about some material from Grainger. I ordered some of that. It was cheap and I made a couple guards.

I even bought the same type of zip ties (TyRap, I think) that were used on the Arm-Guards.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,099 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    This is prob why he stopped making them. To easy to make them at home. Sucks that he shafted folks out of money though.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 351 Solid Baller
    Do you guys mind posting some pictures of your homemade handle contraptions?
  • WaterSkier12WaterSkier12 Posts: 170 Baller
    Yep TW was a trip! As we say in the south, bless his heart.......
    Second InTow, Brenda is as good as gold!
    jimbrake
  • MSMS Posts: 4,554 Mega Baller
    @keithh2oskier Type handle guard into the search box and hit second thread.
    Shut up and ski
    @OB1 True. Sort of. Some dangerous scenarios actually occur from dropping the handle with a completely slack line, which gives you the (rare) possibility of skiing some part of you through it while it's sitting there. Facing slack line, I strongly encourage folks to keep a light grip on it, so you know where it is, and THEN drop (or even throw) it as the rope comes tight.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,011 Mega Baller
    edited August 2016
    @OB1 That certainly sounds logical, but a difficult tantra to practice for manly men in the heat of the pass. It may be good to have protection for weaker moments.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    ALPJrAndreBill22jipster43
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,833 Administrator
    edited August 2016
    Don't go for it? I don't get that but if @OB1 wants to ski cautiously that is one less skier I have to work to beat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

eleeskiMillerTime38schafer
    If I had one iota of musical talent, I'd start a band called Damn Engineers.
    WisheleeskiTexas6[Deleted User]
  • WishWish Posts: 7,099 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I'm with @OB1 ...live to ski another day. If you're not in tune with your ability and cannot feel or understand when shortening the rope after a so so pass at best is prob not the best idea, then u need every bit of protection you can buy. 38 is something I ski only when 35 is easy that set. Has it held me back..maybe. Have I skied at a fairly high level with minimal injury...yeeup. Best safety equipment is the one between your ears. Horton can have his higher ranking...well at least until my next two tournaments....and Austin.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,096 Crazy Baller
    Go to Walmart and get a kitchen sink mat. Cut to suit and attach with 1/8 diameter bungee material looped through hole in mat.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    ski6jonesTexas6
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 725 Crazy Baller
    The bungie for attachment works great. I bought a sheet of clear lexan and attached with some radar binding bungie. Works great.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    Texas6
    @keithh2oskier, here is a shot of mine.

• SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,182 Mega Baller
    @OB1 I hear what you're saying, and you're right. Don't hold on to bad situations. But the problem isn't just holding onto bad situations. The most common scenario involves having nothing to hold onto at all.

It happens when you high-side into the ball or just after the ball, and you may not even be holding the handle when you dive through it. It's a really unusual fall that thankfully, we don't get much practice with. But this lack of familiarity could potentially undermine your intention to toss the handle just right.

We can even screw up tossing the handle. I saw a guy do a crap job of tossing the handle simply out of disgust, only to have it wack him hard in the back of his head on its way by as he coasted down. He got lucky.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • skisprayskispray Posts: 118 Baller
    edited August 2016
    @OB1 @Wish I agree with you that skiing for the highest buoy count no matter what, especially in practice, is both unproductive and unsafe. In fact I say as much to my ski partners all the time. But I still feel like an arm guard is an important piece of safety equipment that reduces my chance of being injured in a freak accident. To imply that having an arm guard is going to make someone ski wrecklessly, or to imply that you can ski smart enough to avoid all injury (while attempting short line no less), seems off the mark and/or overly confident.
    [Deleted User]bishop8950Bruce_Butterfieldkpickett
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,539 Crazy Baller
    The InTow handle bar works well for me