Queen's Cup Results?

MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
Am I just missing results or the after action report somewhere?
MickeyThompson

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator
    It is in my email. Guess that does not help.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• jcampjcamp Posts: 607 Crazy Baller
    waterskiresults.com
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 607 Crazy Baller
    Or even usawaterski.org
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    edited August 2016
    And it's all over Facebook too.

Josefin Hirst of Florida won the inaugural Sportsinsurance.com Queen's Cup women's slalom tournament at Little Mountain Lakes in Maiden, N.C., on Sunday, defeating surprise finalist Joy Kelley in the head-to-head final.

Kelley outlasted No. 1 seed Chelsea Mills in the semifinals, but had a fluke early fall on her opening pass in the final, leaving Hirst with an easy path to the title. It was the fourth round of the day for both after two rounds of qualifying Saturday.

Kelley, a Women 5 skier from Tennessee, entered the Sweet 16 as the No. 4 seed. Hirst, a Women 2 skier, was the No. 2 seed.

Jennifer LaPoint finished third, Mills was fourth and Lori Krueger fifth.

The Queen's Cup, promoted by area Nautique dealer Race City Marine of Mooresville, N.C., drew 24 entrants from across the nation and Canada, and saw three records fall during Saturday's qualifying. Legendary Leeza Harrison, skiing in her second tournament since moving into Women 7, broke the division record in the first round with four at 35 off. She ran 3.5 at 35 in the second round, which also would have broken the record.

Canadians Maureen Mosteller and Rhonda Powell played tug-of-war with their nation's Women 5 record. Powell ran 2.5 at 35 and Mosteller got 3 at 35. Both scores topped the division record in Canada.

The Queen's Cup had a $12,000 purse in cash and prizes, and attracted some 40 sponsors. -- Marjo Rankin

Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    Wish
    And a nice post from Joy Kelley (2nd place) -

How many sports can offer what water skiing does throughout the aging process? How many sports can bring women together from age 30's-70+ in a competitive situation and still achieve commonality, mutual respect, encouragement to others, and a fierce competition, while learning from each other, making new friends, and opening minds to new possibilities for our sport. How do you properly thank Jeff Gilbert and Chelsea Mills for their vision and relentless hard work to create and orchestrate the Queens Cup event, as well as, all the officials, volunteers, and sponsors who worked enthusiastically and gave so generously. (I will recognize all the sponsors in another message, but see many of their names in this picture) You touched lives and influenced our sport immensely
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    Bruce_ButterfieldWish
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Sounds more exciting than the big dawg!!!
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,046 Mega Baller
    @skidawg, it should be. They look a hecka of a lot better in swimsuits than the bigdawgs! And they can SKI.
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    skidawgMattPschaferWish
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Agreed Bruce, Agreed!
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    edited August 2016
    @skidawg @Bruce_Butterfield I had the honor of being CJ at both the Big Dawg and the Queens Cup at Little Mountain this yea. It's a really tough and likely unfair comparison. They both have their exciting moments for sure!

Probably the biggest difference was that, likely due to how long it's been around now, there is a little more strategy on display in the Big Dawg. Knowing what the demands are to ski four rounds (assuming you advance to the finals) in a relatively short time span takes some experience to manage. Even Jennifer commented that she has a new respect for the Big Dawg skiers for that reason.

That said, the Queens Cup had some incredible competitve moments. There was some trash talk throughout the head to head but you also heard apologies for "accidentally" spraying the skier waiting for her next pass. Both events and all skiers really support and encourage each other to do their best. That was always on display at the Queens Cup.

One of the challenges with the ladies is that several ski at a slower speed. Simply using the score and line length and ignoring the speed seemed to work very well. Women's 6 and 7 skiers were competive all the way thru the head to head. It wasn't just a "set it at 34.2 and forget it" tournament.

We saw PB's equaled and tied multiple times. We saw 4 national records broken by three skiers (at one point we literally ran out of ropes since we had 3 records broken in 4 consecutive skiers)!! Equally important we had 4 ladies who have never ski'd a tournament before!! They ski'd very well and will certainly be back. To put that in prospective, one lady came all the way from Washington state to ski her first tournament - awesome!

We saw legends in the sport competing against newcomers and both were having a good time! I think ALL the ladies were onsite both days and were there afterwards for the awards. Everyone who was fortunate enough to be there had a chance to see something truly special.

Kudo's to the skiers - it was awesome to see each and everyone preform and compete with the spirit and sportsmanship rarely seen. Thank you to all the sponsors who generous supported the event and helped make it a success. A special thanks to the officials and drivers and other volunteers who worked hard to make sure everyone had the best experience possible.

This ranks very high on my list of great memories (and there are a lot!). I can't wait for next year. The planning started already last night.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    Bruce_ButterfieldWish
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,046 Mega Baller
    @klindy, its a good thing you don't have a real job!
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    skidawg
    edited August 2016
    I do have a real job. The irony of being CJ at a class L tournament is that the rules don't let you do much more than dock starter anyway!! The really good jobs go to folks like @lpskier and @Sethski
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    lpskier
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,435 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Wow! That sounds like a great event. I wish I could have been there. I'm tired of watching skidawg and super Greg. Congrats Ladies. Please add more events next year.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    skidawg
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I hope this can keep up some steam and continue on. It sounds like a great event.

Would participation be even better if the timing was different? I am guessing that a lot of the eligible ladies have kids who are just getting back into school. It's also just after nationals which might run into an expense/time issue for some. Just something to consider.