Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is Behind Your Reflex

BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 521 Crazy Baller
I know many run the R-style rear (as well as rear toe straps) for reasons discussed elsewhere. I am curious about what other rear boot set ups people are using and how they have worked out. (I found a 2015 Reflex/Vapor post, but no updates.).

I am using double reflex after using the r-style in the past and so far, so good. I have heel pads in both of my boots and it keeps my rear heel from feeling anchored. Just curious about what others are running.
Tagged:

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,459 Mega Baller
    My son uses a RTP and I skied on a Reflex front with a RTP for a fall. I know some folks that ski Reflex front with Wiley rear. The nice thing about a Wiley rear is that you can easily get it close to the front which I think is tough with double hard shells.
    Mark Shaffer
  • david_skidavid_ski Posts: 95 Baller
    R-style. I had double Fluid Motions prior to the change to Reflex withR-style.
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 384 Crazy Baller
    I am sporting an early/mid 2000's vintage HO Animal. I do not tighten the laces to make it easier to come out (god-forbid).

Note with my original Animals I have never come out of my boots. When I got my reflex Supershell I was concerned that the front might pop off without coming out of the rear so that is why I don't cinch the laces. I also had a hard time adjusting to the boot when I first started and was cinching the rear laces. I tried loosening them and started skiing better so I just never went back.

I would like to give a RTP a shot.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,399 Crazy Baller
    What is behind my Reflex? A scarred up shin. 16 stitches over the last 2 years. Now I ski with a soccer shin guard under a neo sleeve.

But seriously, I have a D3 Leverage rubber binding for my rear boot. I use a custom molded orthodic as a foot bed, and it gives me really good connection to the ski. Tried skiing with a RTP years ago, but couldn't make it work.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,174 Administrator
    R Style

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,459 Mega Baller
    @Marco my son has been skiing on Reflex for slalom and trick for 8 years and I have never had to take him for stitches. I know that some people have had issues but maybe we have just been lucky.
    Mark Shaffer
  • WishWish Posts: 7,222 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Home built. Working well.

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • OKSkierOKSkier Posts: 113 Baller
    Vapor strada and a soccer shin guard like @Marco
  • parkerc2112parkerc2112 Posts: 106 Baller
    Wylie rtp
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,436 Mega Baller
    R-style with 3/16" spacer under heel.
  • phauswirthphauswirth Posts: 8 Baller
    Radar HRT
    ballsohard
  • BCMBCM Posts: 157 Baller
    Currently a Wiley rear behind my supershell. At some point this fall I am considering giving the RTP a shot. I came from 10 seasons on PowerShells and am enjoying the setup. I can get my back boot real close.
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 484 Solid Baller
    R-style. Works really well. @Marco same problem, haven't had stitches but multiple dings in the shin has forced me to adopt the shin guard for this coming season.
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 521 Crazy Baller
    For those using Vapor boots, Wiley, etc., any issues with clean releases?
  • skifanskifan Posts: 63 Baller
    I have an FM Evo rear that I modified the toe so the Reflex release would work. Works well for me. I little more support that than the R-style and you can adjust the ankle flex with the top strap. Never any type of release issue and no scared shin.
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 503 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Marco @rockdog I have a system that cures that problem! @Wish I used that setup long ago... I now use a half boot rear...'M' style...lol

Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    mylemskyWish[Deleted User]
  • richfosterrichfoster Posts: 35 Baller
    Radar HRT
    ballsohard
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,827
    R-Style behind the Supershell...Skied on Powershells since 94...This is the best system I have ever used.

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • NandoNando Posts: 411 Crazy Baller
    R-style, but I'm waiting for a Maha heel holder to duplicate Wish's setup.
    Wish
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,537
    Behind my Vapor boot I have an open toe Radar Vector without the top lace, I've been doing some rear boot testing the last couple of weeks and just gone back to this boot because it works so well. I have ground the feather frame away and hard mounted it to a D3 rear plate. No issues with releasing either because I don't run any real tension on the upper lace.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,459 Crazy Baller
    Supper Shell & R-Style rear. Kicked myself once in a release fall, haven't since and I've released quite a few times.
  • DanEDanE Posts: 814 Crazy Baller
    @mmosley899 Why would your system cure the shin issue? Banged up shin comes from the front boot hitting the shin of the back leg in certain release situations not from the Reflex release mechanism.
    MarcoPSM
  • BCMBCM Posts: 157 Baller
    @blueski - I haven't had any issues. I have only released a couple times, but when I did both feet came out clean
    BlueSki
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 503 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @DanE according to my skiing friends that use Reflex it is from the release mechanism hitting their shin, not the boot. I have been using a releasable hard shell for over twenty years and never had an injury from the boot hitting my shin.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,155 Open or 55K Rated Skier

A second reflex
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    bishop8950
    @skidawg How the heck do you count on them releasing at the same time when needed? Seams like one could release and then a millisecond later (perhaps to late) the other.
    OldboyII
    @mmosley899 The rare occasions I ´ve hit my shin it´s been the boot, know several people who had the same experience. Not sure how the release mech is ever going to make it´s way into the shin.
    @OB1 Supershell or regular black? From what I have seen the supershell looks very stiff, I use the regular black with cuff cut down and the sole flattened.
    Practice pb?
    ozski
    edited September 2016
    @OB1 Front boot is set for the back leg to be out in the first place before it releases. That "only front foot still on the ski" release load is known and set in the adjustment of the binding and tested like snow ski binding on one ski. With 2 in Reflex on the same ski, the veriable of what does it take to pop the back with the front locked in or the front with the back locked in and both at the same time could be hard to test and figure out on dry land or other wise. But, I believe TW is on that set up sooo....

As for the twisting...yes MOB is on target with that element.