Would this impact your plans for Nationals????

HortonHorton Posts: 23,532 Administrator
edited December 2016 in Rules/Politics/Issues
What if there were other tournaments nearby during the Nationals week? Instead of only one Nationals ride you could get 3 or more additional rounds.

@Russell I am thinking slalom but we could do the same thing for trick.

Would this impact your plans for Nationals???? 95 votes

I will likely not be qualified so I don't care - not going
16%
DaveDskibugToddAjhughesGarnskiinxsigkyaakale15ALPJrBill22jerrymgt2003IronR1riplashbigskieridahoObrienslalom 16 votes
i will likely be qualified but not going no matter what
5%
gjohnsonRazorskier1seks69adkh2oskierbbrannan 5 votes
I am going anyway - Don't care about extra rounds
11%
eleeskijimbrakeeyepeelerJody_SealunksskisjcampJeffSurdejBoobrettmainerskitractorjwbloyer 11 votes
I am going anyway - extra rounds would be great
26%
skidawgskiepChef23PSMKelvinAlvin_Neff[Deleted User]dave2ball[Deleted User]lpskierrichfosterusaski1sunperchklindyAkBobstacyBRYmmosley899MillerTime38TravisNW 25 votes
I am on the fence / additional tournament rounds during Nationals week increases the chance I will go
40%
Hortonski6jonesscotchipmandislandGMCRichardDoaneelrThan_Boganh2oskijmvana1jdarwin6ballsskier2788Pat Mbishop8950chris_logantrishel41DavidPgregyBbrandau 38 votes

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,879 Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Love the idea @horton but you will not get a USAWS sanction during Nationals time. If I'm not mistaken it's a rule.
    Horton
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Class F for cash-no sanction?
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    RazorRoss3MillerTime38
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,532 Administrator
    edited December 2016
    I am on the fence / additional tournament rounds during Nationals week increases the chance I will go
    You guys leave the sanctioning/rules issues to me. That is a completely different subject. Let's assume the extra rounds are at least Class C if not class L.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

klindy
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    I won't qualify, but you are on the right track with this. It would definitely appeal to me much more than just a one and done. And, if it can be done without substantially altering/extending Nationals or placing undue pressure on the organizers, it would be a very tempting incentive.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,912 Mega Baller
    it's short sighted that you can not sanction any events during the "nationals" week IMO
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    MattPwolfgangToddA
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,311 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2016
    I will likely not be qualified so I don't care - not going
    Maybe @Mateo Vargas could bring back Uncle Al's Novice Nationals at Berkeley
  • DavidPDavidP Posts: 137 Baller
    Extra rounds would better justify the expense and time off from work. If its just me skiing one round to place 25th or so, more than likely I don't go to Nationals or Regionals. My wife and kids would probably ski the class C if available.
    David Panneton - LakePort Water Ski Club, formerly known as Muddy Waters
    HortonRazorRoss3
    @Davidp that is exactly my pitch

• BCMBCM Posts: 149 Baller
    Something to spread the cost of travel would be great (extra rounds, a lake to demo new skis, coaching clinic, etc...). However, it would take an awful lot to justify traveling 1000+ miles for regionals and then likely 2000+ miles for nationals this year.

I would vote extra jump rounds over slalom, but my wife consistently tells me something between my ears isn't right...
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 874 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    If Nationals is happening somewhere near a BOSCP event I might have to go to Nationals while I am in town :-)
    Than_BoganMattPjdarwin
    I hate to go off topic on my own thread but what about this idea?

What if the same day as your Nationals ride you ski a second round that is handicapped based on your Nationals ride? You have to pay for it before your Nationals ride. If you stink it up really bad at Nationals you still have a great chance of winning the Handicap.

A handicap round could be run every evening and regardless of age group. So everyone who skis on Monday could enter the Monday handicap round. You could not go straight handicap.... the guy who misses his opener does not get a 100 ball advantage. Maybe a -6 compared to USAWS average would be the max handicap. Those details are ease to define.

• Pat MPat M Posts: 477 Solid Baller
    @Horton I think it would have to be a class C because of the judges needed to run an L or R would probably already be occupied with the Nationals.
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 608 Crazy Baller
    I am going anyway - Don't care about extra rounds
    @horton would that be at the same Nationals site, or at a different location?
    edited December 2016
    @jcamp If Nationals was at a 4 lake site and there was enough daylight and it did not impact practice the same site would be best.

For now I am just thinking out loud. In my mind there is a problem and I am working through possible solutions. I still much prefer the idea of more tournament rides* for my plane ticket and hotel room cost. Somehow it has to be win win for most parties involved.

Side note: I sometimes read skiers talk about how practice rides during an event are still part of the reason to be there. I do not get that. I take a practice ride or 2 on site only to feel the water to get ready for my official ride.

• dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    I like the idea, however I would want to be sure they had a cap on entries so;

1. be sure to be done before it gets dark (unless you made it a night event, interesting option)
    2. I wouldn't want to be waiting around for hours for my set.

I actually like the night idea. Might be something fun that most people never get a chance to really do. And the heat at Nationals is always an issue so this would be a way to stay cool.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    @disland yes yes yes entry numbers have to be capped for time and for officials availability. Don't worry about details throw out ideas.

The more I think about it the more I like the night idea. That would be something really cool and not just another class C slalom round.

But I want a re-ride for golf cart lights
    ski6jones
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 833 Mega Baller
    @disland shirts!

Patience is the key to Joy.
    dislandskidawgski6joneslpskier
    @dchristman cute but please no

• mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 392 Water Ski Industry Professional
    If you have the lake to run it on site, just run the second ride staggered one hour later after your Nationals ride. Same running order. Class C.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    @Horton Great idea. I'd be shocked (and very disappointed) if the idea was rejected for a sanction.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    @klindy Its a free country. @horton can have a tournament anywhere and time he wants except China, Russia or North Korea
    So far a lot of official people like the idea. Unfortunately I've yet to deal with any of the people that actually can make it happen. The wheels are turning.

@disland I realize it's a free country and Horton can have a tournament where he wants. However if he wants a sanction from AWSA he'll need EVP approval. Again I'd be shocked and disappointed if it wasn't granted.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I would not be shocked if it wasnt granted
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • BRYBRY Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    From the 2017 Nationals - WBP's Discussion with AWSA/p1 thread:

6. Need the ability to host additional tournaments throughout Nationals. These events would be sanctioned as the following ski year only if that event was complete at Nationals.

Straw pole (non‐binding; for informational use only)
    Strongly opposed ‐ 0
    Yes ‐ 17
    Undecided ‐ 0

Seems idea already presented to AWSA BOD and though informal, non-binding, seems strong support as no undecided/opposing votes.

I think having a tournament in concert with Nat's does not violate the intention of the rule not allowing other sanctions at same time. Such a tournament does not detract from Nationals or Nationals participation, it most likely enhances both. I understand the intent of the rule is to prevent tournaments elsewhere, hundreds or thousands of miles away, from detracting from Nationals. Say a tournament in Bakersfield when Nationals are in Texas would be a no.
    @skidawg Maybe so but if that were the case, I would like to know how any of the directors voted.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    skidawg
    If there was a BallOfSpray event parallel to Nationals, would you be as interested if it were class F or does it need to be Class C or higher?

• sunperchsunperch Posts: 196 Solid Baller
    Would I really would like would be an easier way to get more practice rounds at Nationals. Idaho was the bomb as we were able to walk up and get a practice rides within minutes most of the time, and at most an hour wait.