Build it and they will come? BOS-WSA

ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
edited February 4 in Rules/Politics/Issues
Many want a new "water ski association" as noted in several comments. But it would be quite a task for any one person to build it. But there's collective experience, knowledge, insight in this community.

So, how about a collaborative conversation to write out how the new BOS Water Ski Association would work? @jdarwin @Jody_Seal

I know you are already starting to think about what you'd want to be done differently: boat and speed control qualifications, site/skier insurance, officials, scoring, simple but fair, minimize overhead, costs, etc.

But before we draft up a new rule book and by-laws, the new association needs a mission statement and some primary goals. Without those, the new organization will not know its purpose. The rules and decisions of how to organize the association will be without alignment.
What should those be?

The mission of the BOS-WSA is to...
The primary goals of BOS-WSA are:
-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.

Comments

• EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,288 Historical Baller
    Back circa 1966, there was some movement toward revolution, somewhat led by the
    Eastern Region VP. Lots of talk; never happened.
  • WishWish Posts: 6,747 Mega Baller
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 203 Baller
    Many AWSA members have no conception of what AWSA has done for us its members. It is a lot more than meets the eye. I believe AWSA is underappreciated. If you are dissatisfied with AWSA, make an effort to change it. Go to your regional meetings. Campaign for and vote for the people you want to represent you. It is much easier to change the current AWSA than it is to form a new organization. Then, there will be people who don't like the new organization. You have to be willing to invest time and effort. If you are not, don't whine.

As a simple example, go to USAWS' web site. Click on Three Event. Then click on each of the menu items that come up. It will take you hours to read about all the things AWSA has accomplished.
    jetpilotg4jcampmnewthwtrskior
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    Show up to meetings to get what you say stuck into "the board doesn't care" file? I've been on both sides, the board of directors and the stockholder asking a reasonable question. So,I travel every week for work, but I need to travel to? Where? For a Southern regional meeting? You understand there are 14+ hours drive between places in our region, right.
    So, I'm with @Wish "show up to a meeting". Thanks
    I'm also, all for NOT killing the AWSA. Does it need to be more of an open forum?maybe so. Kinda why I like BOS requiring AWSA number. If you want your opinion counted, put your money where your mouth is. I pay a membership and for tournaments, you can manage email and votes.
    edited February 5
    "Make an effort" is also becoming a tired argument. How about we make it real easy to vote. Allow votes on representative appointments to hit this website for that vote. As this may never be a reality, I suspect if it was, those holding AWSA position would be very nervous about their positions.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,547 Administrator
    edited February 5
    @dbutcher

As a simple example, go to USAWS' web site. Click on Three Event. Then click on each of the menu items that come up. It will take you hours to read about all the things AWSA has accomplished.

I see a lot of documents and web pages. Perhaps some tasks have been completed but show me an ACCOMPLISHMENT of great value in the menu.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

aupatkingskidawg
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,547 Administrator
    edited February 5
    In a perfect world the sport would be run by people with skin in the game. The one thing about INT that makes a lot of sense is every time they gain or lose a member Rick Stocks makes or loses a dollar. Yea, I know he says he never made money on INT - whatever.

ONE of the problems with USAWS / AWSA is that it is run by a few employees and a bunch of members who are not financially impacted by the success of the sport. I will NEVER tell you that these people are evil or lazy or dishonest but who among them is unsure how they will pay the mortgage because membership fell another 10%. Maybe a few employees at HQ could or have lost jobs but where those people in a position to make real change?

I actually floated the idea of an industry take over to a few industry folks and pro skiers. They all said that it was impractical and I agree but I do think it is a good thought experiment. What if the association were really run like a business. What if the bureaucracy and committees were replaced with a lean and qualified team that could make decisions always based on what is best for the majority of the membership. (@Jody_Seal I am talking about the AWSA membership)

In defense of the elected representatives, let me say this – A wise skier once challenged me when I complained about AWSA. He said “Do you know your EVP and Directors?” I said “Yes”. He then asked “Are they idiots?” I said “No, I actually have a lot or respect of the representatives from the West”. He said “Everyone feels that their representatives are good and the others are the problem.” The point is that the root problem is not as simple as we wish it could be.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

RAWSkiMick04Texas6
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    edited February 5
    My representatives are amazing and excellent people, too. So are the people I know personally who serve on committees, etc.

Amazing, smart, dedicated people can just be incapable of changing the path of a runaway train that is already underway with a lot of stored momentum (history). Sometimes the solution to a runaway train is to jump off, stop it (let it crash maybe), and get on a new train that has an engineer and is headed in a direction in which there is enough interest for people to buy enough tickets to pay for the cost of operating the train.

The issue is that no one is ready to take on the task of replacing USAWS. That was not INT's charter. They offered something different, but not a replacement, as in addition to it. INT was to fill a gap, but leave the rest alone. What if the challenge was to replace all of it with something different? That's a whole new level of "do something different."
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 609 Crazy Baller
    Why go to meetings? Well, to show that you give a shi!t and are willing to see things through. Anyone who has been a boss, or has ever had a boss, knows that you can talk about doing this or doing that over the phone or via email. But when the boss shows up on site and starts asking questions, stuff gets done.

edited February 5
    @jcamp pretty sure you missed the point. Why go to a meeting if the meeting/vote can come to you. Again, I do not have to attend any meetings with my professional association to have a voice. And part of what makes me complain less about my professional association is having a voice. If my vote does not alter an outcome, at least I did my part. If it does, I own some of that outcome. Those that can go do, those that cannot at least get a voice. It's spreading the "give a shit" to all members vs a few.
    jcampaupatking
  • skibackwardsskibackwards Posts: 34 Baller
    Since this topic is morphing----
    I would like to see the agendas of Regional meetings and BOD packet for the January meeting posted on the AWSA site before the meeting. Then, as soon as possible, the minutes of the resulting decisions posted online.
    HortonJody_SealMattP
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 609 Crazy Baller
    @skibackwards I don't know about other regions, but my region reps do that.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    I think its not AWSA that's the problem its IWWF. As long as class L is required for major events we cant change anything. And we all know its impossible to make any rule changes to IWWF.

First change is we should stop requiring international ranking list for Masters, Jr Masters, and Sr Worlds and anything else except Pro events.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    Hmmm.. Ok, since there are those in the know posting here, what if joe skier like me wants to, for lack of a better example, include wake skate in all class C tournaments to attract youth. So what would be the procedure for getting this "great" idea going? Whether it is a bone headed idea isnt the point. Just want to know exactly how it would go from my idea to a rule in the books. This would be helpful to the argument either way. May even highlight, as suggested, things get lost in the shuffle or personal agendas stoping a ball like that from moving on. Let's see the bureaucracy laid out. And yes yes I know you can site the rule book and say read these pages but please don't. A nice outline or something would be more helpful.