Should a zero notice sanction be allowed provided all rules are being followed?

dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
edited February 13 in Rules/Politics/Issues
So is there any reason I shouldn't be able to log onto USAWS and get a zero notice sanction. (I am assuming for now that I am following all the current rules for a class C).

There should be no late fee

Should a zero notice sanction be allowed provided all rules are being followed? 35 votes

yes
91%
Hortonauskierskidawgski6jonesscotchipmandislandChef23Jack KinnePSMBoneHeadKelvinAlvin_NeffMattPToddLjdarwinskiinxsigkyajayskiunksskissunperch 32 votes
no
8%
Jody_Sealsantangeloskitractor 3 votes
Dave Island- Princeton Lakes

Comments

• Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,150 Mega Baller
    no
    Being the one no vote so far thought I would expand. The problem is that we are a volunteer organization even though USAWS has "paid" employees the sanctioning programs and rules involved with sanctioning are dictated and facilitated by the AWSA . Currently the sanctioning program is rather messed up as it will only co-operate with few operating system software, windows 10 and explorer no bueno! any apple no Bueno. then there is the AWSA 30 day bureaucracy that is currently in place.
    Get all that fixed then the zero notice may be put in place.
    And let me say good luck on that !!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    yes
    @Jody_Seal All the back end computations associated with the tournament can be done after the fact. We can ski now and paperwork can follow.

• ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    yes
    @Jody_Seal - your answer addresses the question "Can I". The poll is "Should I". Should to me is a question of "do you think this is something to pursue?"
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    yes
    @Jody_Seal those are all reasons why it can't be done today not reasons why it shouldn't be done if impediments are removed.
    Mark Shaffer
    MattP
    yes
    It can be done. Its artificial reasons why it cant. I believe this goes back to the days when they had to mail out sanction packets.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,150 Mega Baller
    no
    Hey I wish you all the success in changing the situation. and no the policy of a 30 day lead for sanction came just a few years ago.
    The sanctioning program is written and maintained by volunteer's like the scoring program.
    Like I said I voted no on the poll because I know what you all are going up against to change the policy.
    Again I wish you all luck and will stand behind you!
    Really!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,373 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited February 14
    yes
    @disland - good luck from someone who has traveled down that road of landmines (turn and burn)...
    Joe Darwin
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,532 Administrator
    yes
    I will sanction probably three events this summer. Because I didn't do it before January 1st I'm going to pay late fee. The reality of my business is I don't have the dates and sites set by January 1st. To me the late fee is just fundraising by the Association. Unless you believe they really think I should be penalized for not being in a regional guide.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• LLUSALLUSA Posts: 206 Solid Baller
    @Horton and who makes you pay a late fee, not AWSA??
    LLUSA, Sr Driver, AWSA Board of Directors, Towboat Committee,Lake Owner
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,879 Moderator
    yes
    @Horton that only applies to the west and Mid-West regions. The regions set the late fee amounts and dates. USAWS charges $100 if sanctioned less than 7 days out. Sanction Fees
    Horton
    yes
    That western region policy is nuts
    MattP
    yes
    regional guides are as relevant as phone books
    MattP
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,532 Administrator
    yes
    What @mattP and @disland said

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• santangelosantangelo Posts: 144 Solid Baller
    edited February 14
    no
    By zero day notice, I'm assuming submitting the sanction the same day as the tournament.

So if you submit a tournament sanction on Sunday, would you expect USAWS to sanction it? I expect they would have some due diligence to perform to validate the sanction such as validation of officials. If you had a tournament and charged skiers money for it, and USAWS did not sanction it because you have invalid officials, would that be fair to the skiers to not get a rankings list score for the tournament? I realize that there are some software systems in place to validate some of this, but eye balls should be involved to some degree.

Also, if you can't plan a tournament at least a few days in advance, how would they have any confidence you're planning a legit event? They are the ones providing the coverage for the event, so they need to be give some deference.

I think a more reasonable question would be what is acceptable in terms of advance notice. Ideally it would be much shorter, but I don't know what goes into that process.

The late fee's issue is a separate topic.
    dislandMattPjcamp