Radar Carbitex Vapor Boots unboxing & assembly

HortonHorton Posts: 23,363 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babe's /Connelly / DBSkis /Denali Goode / HO Syndicate / Mapple / Masterline / O'Brien /
MasterCraft / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Tagged:
ToddLlakeaustinskierALPJrart90notchcragginshredBulldog

Comments

• matt_bmatt_b Posts: 54 Baller
    I have watched my first unboxing after about 7 years! Good job. My question, Is the Sequence plate you used better then the 2 smaller, separate plates that actually come with the boots? And why?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,363 Administrator
    edited February 17
    @matt_b the single plate allows for better adjustability.

Babe's /Connelly / DBSkis /Denali Goode / HO Syndicate / Mapple / Masterline / O'Brien /
    MasterCraft / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    ROTFLOL! Dork! Socks, toe caps, etc. You know better. That Cali heat in Feb getting to your head, @Horton? I guess your videos are getting better. Actually, I liked this one's chill approach and honesty. Keep it up!

@matt_b - the front most and back most screw holes on the plate are slotted. There are two sets for the middle holes. You only use one set. Basically, set 1 is located for the heal of the front binding inserts on the ski and set 2 is at the toe of the back mounting inserts. But here's the genius - the back set of inserts are offset by 1/2 a screw hole compared to the front set. So, in order of moving the whole plate forward or back, you alternate from the first holes in set 1 to the first holes in set 2 then to the 2nd holes in set 1 then to the 2nd holes in set 2, and so on. Each movement is moving the whole plate up by 3/16th of an inch.

There are some theories about the stiffness difference between 1 plate vs. 2. Meh. Clearly there is a flex point between 2 plates. But there are more screws so each of the two plates are potentially stiffer than the 1 plate.

One great tip with the Sequence plate is to mount your front shell, then measure the distance from the seem at the heal to back end of the plate. Write this measurement on the plate where it can be seen with both shells mounted. Now, when you need to measure your front binding placement you can simply measure from the plate to the end of the ski and then add this written down measurement to that.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • matt_bmatt_b Posts: 54 Baller
    Thanks! I have a sequence plate, so I will give it a try. New ski and boots this year.
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 71 Baller
    My question is: Wouldn't the socks exaggerate the total volume in the liner so that when you ski with them without the socks, the liner would be too large?
    @Golfguy no. The socks actually help mostly with length so the liner is not too short when you are done.

I didn't make this point in the video but it's also important to slightly under tighten all the laces when you do the heat mold. That keeps the liners from becoming too thin during the molding process.

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,079 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Dude, you are looking so old.....
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    MS
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 411 Solid Baller
    Got my Carbitex boots...they look awesome. Size 11 fits perfect for size 10 feet.
    Waiting for my 2017 Radar Senate Lithium to join them.
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 376 Solid Baller
    These are probably my next purchase.
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 376 Solid Baller
    Question: I have a few plates laying around that I bought with my RS-1's, but they are probably 5 or more years old. Have the plates changed any? Do the boots come with the plate, or is the plate extra?
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 411 Solid Baller
    Not sure if changed from years ago but if you buy the new boots the plates are included so no worries.
    The plates ( hole pattern) has not changed.

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,639
    I have had great success heat molding the liners in 180 degree water. I submerge the liners in 180 degree water for 8-10 minutes, slip them into the shells, insert foot with a thin athletic sock on, tighten the boots up and stand in them for another 8-10 minutes. You can adjust the fit with the thickness of the sock you wear.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner of the FireFan Water Ski League
  • slowslow Posts: 257 Baller
    edited February 19
    I used my boat shower as hot as I could stand to mold my last liners. Then jumped in the cold north idaho water. Worked great.
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 349 Baller
    200 degree oven. Place liners on baking sheet for 10-15 min. Use socks to mold as others have stated.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 949 Crazy Baller
    @Horton So, do you still think the liners will eventually mold to your feet just as well from just skiing?
    Blood type IPA
    @Zman meh. I have I have always skipped the heat molding and the liners feel good to me. If you heat mold them they should just be a little better.

• wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    @perfski any customers put the newer liners in older RS1/Strada shells?

I have 2 sets of RS1 shells that are in near perfect shape but the liners are closing in on their functional lifespan.
    @wtrskior new liners will fit perfectly

wtrskior
    I tried out my new boots yesterday. As predicted the first pass or two were BAD! First pass was 2 balls. By the 6th pass things felt pretty darn good. The boots will work even better after I get a few more sets in them.

• I5boiI5boi Posts: 152 Baller
    @Horton and anyone else. How is the fit? I'm a 10.5 so I'm going to try an 11 at Wiley's this week. Shim in or shim out? I'm sure the shims will end up in the kitchen for guacamole.
    @I5boi I wear a size 10 1/2 shoe in a size 11 Radar.

• ozskiozski Posts: 1,364
    Are they significantly different from the previous model (red and black) with the BOA system? I had a look at a pair the other day and thought they were pretty similar to the red version which is an excellent product. I have a season on mine and it looks like new..
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: Nano One XT

edited February 21
    @wtrskior I have two sets of RS-1 shells, I have gone through several liners in each over the years. There was a year or two (2012?) when the liners where thinner that you may want to avoid if you like the fit of the original RS-1's.

FYI, I have a size 9.5 foot and use 9 shells which I love, the 10's are too big for me. I do have a slightly lower volume foot than average, heat molding with a sock will make the boots/liners bigger.
    @scotchipman I am an 8.5 wide and have size 9 RS1s. 8s are way too small, but the 9s fit great! i need a bit more volume in the big toe area so have heat molded with just a thin sock and a piece of paper taped over my big toe.

@wtrskior most people do seem to go up in size rather than down if they are between sizes, I just wanted to let others know that if you are a lower volume foot you can go down. I have size 9 Carbitex boots on the way, finally upgrading my original RS-1's.
    @scotchipman congrats! They look really really nice. Please share a post when you've had a chance to get them wet a few times to compare.

I tell everyone that my RS1 boots are the single best investment I've ever made in this sport. I can't kill them (probably because I take really good care of them!). Interested to hear your comparison!
    scotchipman
    Thanks @wtrskior, will let you know how I like them after being on the RS-1's for 7 years.
  • cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 625 Crazy Baller
    I will get a pair at some time this year! As Horton stated it can be pretty frustrating during the break in period. When I needed to replace my Vapor boots last summer, it was one at a time and I had to lace them looser and was really frustrated at first.

When I upgrade to these I will plan to ski my sets then just have these on another ski to and break them in on a 3rd set for a few days before putting them on my 2017 Vapor pro and going for it.

When you only have 2 or 3 ski days a week I can't spend the only passes I'm trying breaking in boots.
    Vapor pro 2017