Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Ski Nautique

Comments

• skierjpskierjp Posts: 609 Crazy Baller
    @Golfguy, then explain Centurion? Small, bare bones, no frills, low price. They can't even sell 35 to 40 boats a year and their promo boats aren't even selling. The boat has a good slalom wake, tracking is a issue compared to the other boats but still not a bad boat.
    Trust me, the boat manufacturers know how wide the boat lanes are
    Justin
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 133 Baller
    I agree that the current CP is a good boat, I don't know how many are sold each year, promo and otherwise. That would be interesting information. The Carbon Pro is lighter, narrower, great wake and less expensive. I have a CP promo boat on my lift and love it. Based on the forum here, I do get the sense that many people wish the 3 event/slalom boats would slow down in the size and price increase category. Maybe Im incorrect in my observations. Thanks for the feed back.
  • B_SB_S Posts: 205 Solid Baller
    I agree with @brettmainer . I bought my 1st boat when I was 24 and had gotten a job where I could afford one. It was a brand spanking new '92 Nautique, and it was the most awesome thing ever, then. I had that boat until last year, when I finally upgraded to a brand spanking new '16 200 OB with the 5.3 DI. It is exponentially more awesome, and my family and I absolutely love everything about it (well except for my son, who wakeboards and would prefer a tower and bigger wake)!
  • B_SB_S Posts: 205 Solid Baller
    So yes, I pretty much trust that CC knows what they are doing.
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 797 Mega Baller
    I don't want a smaller cheaper bare-bones boat. We also got at 16 5.3 200 and it's the best boat ever, basically. I spend a lot of time in and around all the big 3 boats and I have owned 5. Right now we have a 2000 TSC1 and the 200. We love both boats but the 200 takes it to another level on all ways. What a boat. Incredible machine.
    [Deleted User]
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 877 Crazy Baller
    Too bad most Nautiques are ridiculously more expensive new or used. Nice boats, of course! Worth going broke when you can by another boat with ZO for a lot cheaper....doubt it. Looking forward to the 2018, hopefully they don't screw up a good thing.
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 133 Baller
    To be clear, I'm not singling out Correct Craft here. All of the companies are involved. For example, the bare bones CP that I have retails for $81K. Those are some mighty big bones. It is interesting to hear from all of your perspectives.
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 457 Solid Baller
    @Golfguy the boat MFGS are not in the business to sell 100 promos to tournament skiers. The average person who is out on the lake wants the nice creature comforts. That includes room for all skis and equipment and friends. By a smaller narrower boat you take away many selling atrabutes.
    The CP shows that the theory of small cheaper does not work on the mass market. it might be a great price point to an entry level buyer or for the person who wants just a tractor for skiing.
    Skiing is a family sport for most of us. Why do you think waleboardimg has taken off.
    Put 10 friends in a boat and go have fun. You can't do that in a CP and the 196. It's just not built that way.
    oldjeep
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 377 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2017
    I find the mass market statement interesting. Maybe it is different here, but I don't know of a single person here who owns a 200 and doesn't ski the course (and only the course). I know many people who have older inboards that free ski and just wanted a decent pull. That is what I think of when I think of mass market ski boats.

Drive around lake Minnetonka. You'll see probably a dozen direct drive inboards, not one of them is newer than 2010.

Does anyone have any data who is actually buying these boats? I'd love to get some input from the promo owners about the people who are buying their boats.

What I am getting at here is that if you are not a hard core slalom skier running the course the likelihood of you wanting a 200 is pretty low. These boats are not designed for the mass market anyway; they are designed for a 3 event skier who has a family.
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 501 Solid Baller
    Waleboarding - Is that when you take a fat chick and (STOP!!!, keep this site PG/PG-13).
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 508 Crazy Baller
    I can say most people looking to buy my promo boats are skiers like ourselves. Many are course skiers but probably not tournament participants. they are looking to upgrade to newer boats with better wakes, Zero Off, Fuel Injection, etc. The sweet spot seems to be $35k.
    tdusin
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 896 Mega Baller
    There are loads of Direct Drives by us (WI public water) but I have never seen a 200 in the wild. Occasionally see 197s. Never seen a ProStar. See a fair number of TXis and LOTS of Malibus from the mid 00's, typically Sunsetter LXis, Response LXs, or LXis. Most of the Nautique and MC DDs I see are from the 1990s.
  • KrleeKrlee Posts: 533 Solid Baller
    I have been on the promo program since 2012 and only one of my boats has gone to a course skier or private lake skier. Maybe we just have a different buyer out here on the west coast. Also none of the buyers have wanted a bare Bones boat. I will order what people want to help sell the boat, just like the dealer or manufacturer.
  • skiboat38skiboat38 Posts: 120 Baller
    I have had 28 Nautique promo boats and many have gone to people who don't ski the course however out of eight 200's only 2 have gone to non-tournament skiers
  • GarGar Posts: 260 Baller
    That's quiet a streak of Nautiques!
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 573 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    To those of you who say a 196 can't be a family boat, I beg to differ. The open bow version was made from 97 to 02 and it is an excellent little boat for my family of 5. The problem is that I paid $13k for it and if I want to move up a step, the next step I can possibly move up to is an open bow 200, and since I'm at elevation, I have to have the 6.0, so I can't take baby steps, I have to make the leap right from a $13k boat straight up to at least $45k boat. That's a big freaking jump!!!

Oh how I've wished that Nautique would have kept the SNOB alive from 03 to 09. That's what I'm hoping to see from this new Supreme. The closer it is to a 196 with an open bow like I have now, the more likely it will be to pull me away from the 200, which, for now, is still not in my price range.
    ToddARalph Lee
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 474 Solid Baller
    @escmanaze, the 03-09 CC open bow boat you are looking for is the 206. Its a great boat; I used to own one.
    scotchipman
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,255 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2017
    @escmanaze I'm afraid that you're unlikely to find a 6.0 200 for 45K. I know it's crazy. I hope you can but it will be a long search.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,017 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @UWSkier
    Same in our neck of the WI woods...lots of mid-90's MC's, but I do see a bunch of 197's too. Since my brother bought his new 200 in 2012, I've still yet to see another in the wild. There's also only 1 other new Prostar on the lake I grew up on, unless @epnault brings his up. That would make 3 not used in tournaments. Of course, I've also yet to a CC G series in the wild, and only one MC XT, and that was last week.

I understand GS boats are selling in a big way, so I guess a mini GS-ish 200 makes sense to the CC marketing team?
    Scott Calderwood
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 877 Crazy Baller
    Our friends that are open lake skiers bought a 6.0 2010 or 2011 SN 200 last year with low hours for $47K..... insane.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,624 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    People who will spend on a boat the kind of money that could buy a condo or small house are not likely to be tournament skiers. Tournament skiers spend too much time and money skiing to have that kind of money floating around. Interesting dilemma, tournament skiers aren't the market for their boats?

Inexpensive bare bones tournament tugs would greatly benefit the tournament world. Used boats fill that niche - but badly because ZO really is different (and better) and the wakes are different (not better for tricks on the new boats).

The talk of a hull change is making me nervous about buying a 200. I don't want a new expensive obsolete boat.

I don't have a solution. Unless the American Skier ZO conversion project works or I win the lottery and start a boat company.

Eric
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,150 Crazy Baller
    @eleeski you must know a completely different type of tournament skier than I do. When a lot of tournament skiers I know go to buy a new boat, they will typically buy promo. A promo 200 last I heard was about $60-$65K with a 5.3. That said, I know of rental houses that aren't bad homes that cost way less than that. When people get excited when they can find a boat for under $40,000 there is a problem
  • epnaultepnault Posts: 187 Baller
    @swc5150

Is that Crosson's orange and silver 2014?
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,017 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @epnault
    I'm not sure who owns it? I've yet to see anyone ski behind it though:(
    Scott Calderwood
    elr
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 573 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @jjackkrash Yes I understand the 206 is open bow, but the wake there, especially for long line slow speed guys like me, is not nearly as friendly as the 196 hull. Also, my current SNOB has about 8-12" to spare in the garage right now. A 200 would be a really tight squeeze - a 206 might just be the straw that breaks the camels back.

@LeonL Yes you are correct, I am being really optimistic, kinda hoping to find a unicorn, with my $45k estimates and still the jump is more than a 3X jump. Holy Crap.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,624 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @Ilivetoski The newest boat any of the skiers I ski with is 2014 (yes, an old promo boat). Already out of date for an R tournament. While most have ZO, none are a current hull except the SDSU 200. And I ski with lots of National and World skiers.

These people are reasonably well off - most own their own homes and have cars that are much newer than their boats. OK, in San Diego almost all houses are 500k so a bit more than a boat. But these are the serious skiing people (and market) who should be buying new boats. Something is wrong.

I'd gripe that we need to train behind what we get in tournaments but it's so hard to get a promo boat at a tournament that our first look at the current boat is at Regionals. Significant hull changes make it really difficult.

I like the 200. But I don't want to freeze things - I'm hoping that they bring back my old Prostar 197 MC and that would require a change. Will the 79 American Skier get approved?

Eric
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,015 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @escmanaze, one of the owners at Still Water Lake Estates just bout a 2015 200 with a 6.0, told me he only paid $45.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    escmanaze[Deleted User]
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,255 Crazy Baller
    @scotchipman now that's what I call a deal in this current market. I haven't seen a similar boat priced near that.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,015 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited June 2017
    @LeonL I agree.

Does anyone know anything about this 2015 6.0 200 (Click HERE) in CO? Looks just like the one the owner at Still Water said he paid $45k for.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    Mateo_Vargas