2018 Ski Nautique

Comments

• dave2balldave2ball Posts: 419 Baller
    edited June 2017
    The MFG's are not just making these boats for the 1% who ski 3 event. They are making the boats for the average joe who wants a 3 event boat to ski in the open water. In order to grab that sector of the public they must add the O/B, better aminities and that drives up the price. The new generation motors are not helping with the prices either.
    More horse power more money.
    swc5150Bill22
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,040 Administrator
    @jcamp the story I've been given about Nautique is they have exactly the same profit % in every boat that leaves the factory. So a ski boat is definitely less gross profit.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

jcamp
  • DanEDanE Posts: 807 Crazy Baller
    @Horton Gross profit is irrelevant if what you say is true that every boat have the same profit.
    Sure a wake barge has a larger revenue than a ski boat but it also have larger production costs.
    In short, drop the ski boat line entierly and you will just lose the profit from that branch and not gain anything in the wake barge department.
    OSUwaterskier
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 754 Crazy Baller
    The myth of the bargain(ish) ski boat is true. It's called a mid-2000s (pick your big 3 vendor).

For the average skier a Response LXi with PerfectPass and Zbox is 95% of the boat as a TXi at 35% of the price. Even if you must have ZO, the 2008s are pretty dang nice...
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,643 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited June 2017
    Give me a basic boat which tracks well, with Zero Off to ski behind, forget the bells and whistles.
    But it has to be a Nautique.

" Ski It Like You Mean It ! ”

Ralph Leejetpilotg4
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,913 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Once upon a recent time, I would've 100% agreed with Stevie and UW (still do 75%). But with a wife and daughter, the spacious, open bow slalom barge makes the entire family happy. Shocker that I'm the target market. I'll confess while I'm at it, that I dig the bling factor too. My 3 year old can even navigate the ZO screen in our boat.
    Scott Calderwood
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 738 Crazy Baller
    Ha, nice try @Ilivetoski . Hellen Keller could tell the difference between a 200 and everything else.
    [Deleted User]Bruce_Butterfield
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,117 Crazy Baller
    @jhughes the 200 is a great boat, I'll say it's the best boat out there. But $15,000 is a year of college tuition or a nice used car.. and the other boats aren't THAT far behind a 200
    Andrefox197
  • WishWish Posts: 7,160 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    How is the Hayday WT doing up against its heavy priced competitors? Bare bones for sure in comparison. Are they making a dent? It's like 20k+ less I think then the big 3 and from the looks (as ugly as they are), it seems to through a massive wake. Could be a gauge for what a bare bones 3 event boat could bring in terms of interest. If they falter and go to the wayside....

I think Gekko had a hard time do to the down turn in the market some yrs back and not really pushing any major or even miner ski events to pull.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • skihartskihart Posts: 414 Baller
    @OB1 ......please elaborate, where did you see this?
  • wartwart Posts: 24 Baller
    If there really is a market for a boat much less expensive than a 200 and slightly less expensive than a Carbon Pro; then why isn't someone buying trashed 196's, then refurbishing and re-powering (with Zero Off)? And why isn't there a line long enough to buy them that makes whole endeavor worth it to that someone?
    DragoBruce_Butterfield
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 440 Solid Baller
    New features add up quick. I have been told adding a catalytic converter to a marine engine, for example, adds about $4K to every boat.
    Ralph Lee[Deleted User]
  • MSMS Posts: 4,650 Mega Baller
    Mint 2013 CB 200 with 450 hrs available in Oct. 44,500
    Shut up and ski
    [Deleted User]Mrs_MS
  • WishWish Posts: 7,160 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @MS now I have to bring my ski next week. Love skiing behind that boat. Color scheme is exceptional.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    MSMrs_MS
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,077 Crazy Baller
    Party at @MS country next week? Awesome! Gotta be nice this time of year. We baked today at Junior US Open at Ski Chaste, Alabama.
    Blood type IPA
  • MSMS Posts: 4,650 Mega Baller
    @Zman Normally a great time of the year but we have had 3 days of NW winds and overnight temps into the low 50s. Our water was 83 last week and now we are back in the 60s. Time for me to head south.

@Wish Look forward to skiing with you next week
    Shut up and ski
  • skiboat38skiboat38 Posts: 116 Baller
    Boat prices are through the roof and I don't buy the profit margin is not huge, new Nautique mid to upper 60's.....you can buy a new GMC SLT, quad cab 4x4 loaded out with leather for under 50. Nautique does not have tires, brakes, 2 diffentials, power windows, power and heated mirrors, leather seats, back up cameras.....@Ilivetoski, you must have fell and hit your head on a ski. I have driven hundreds of different boats in tournaments in the last several years and the worst 200 is 100% better than the best CP...(Did you buy "our" boat that you speak of?) @TFisher the only thing that has carried CP is the wakeboard boats....how many ski boats did they sell last year? 10? 50? 100? I bet the first number is closer than the other 2. The rumors flying around about the 'New" Nautique are just that...Rumors...however if the price jump is remotely true CC will severely narrow the gene pool for purchasing new boats. I can understand the thinking if a wakeboard boat sells like hot cakes for 180K why not a 200 for 85k but the skiing crowd will not take a 30 year note on a boat....myself, if I can't pay cash, I don't need it. CC has proven over the years to keep the new boats very close only letting out what they want...very good marketing....when the time comes they will leak it a week or so before just to a few people they know will talk...until then we shall soon see.
    Kdinger838
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 113 Baller
    skiboat38 I completely agree with your post up to the statement about the CP. Bear in mind that I am a CP rep, and I know you own a SN. I personally know several national champions that would rather ski behind a CP. The CP has a better skiing wake platform than the SN 200. The boats are still designed for the skier if I'm not mistaken. Not the driver. SN has done a truly great job branding and they make a solid boat, but not always the best skiing tug. Bigger heavier, more storage, more hp more money not for everyone. We need to support other tournament boats, least they disappear from the tournament seen completely. Then only SN will be there to pull all tournaments. Maybe that is a good thing???

My $.02 worth
  • GarGar Posts: 252 Baller
    We paid $13,000 for a nicely dressed out 1982 Ski Nautique in July of 1981. Quite a jump in price!
    [Deleted User]RAWSki
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,537
    I think the price of a new 200 hurts the most right about now, if you have just taken delivery of a new boat and the new model / shape genie pops out of the bottle then your new toy has just become yesterdays news. Ouch... I wonder how much the new shape will impact the resale value of the 200 hull.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

sgregg
  • slowslow Posts: 305 Solid Baller
    Gar, Dow was below a 1000 in 1981
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 440 Solid Baller
    @ozski, usually a new model in cars and most boats kills the resale value on the older models, but with the Nautique crowd its hard to tell. The resale on the 196s went up when the 200 came out and that resale value has held from what I can tell, at least compared to normal depreciation and original purchase price. If the new boat is priced higher it might actually help resale on the 200s.
    edited June 2017
    @skiboat38 I said the 200 is the nicest. I fully admit that and anyone who on anything of a consistent basis skis or drives all 4 will admit that unless they are being paid to say otherwise. They ski better, drive better, better interior, better technology, etc. etc. the only thing I like better about a CP than a 200 is the that it doesn't have carpet. That said, $15-$20,000 is a lot of money as you know. Properly weighted the CP doesn't drive bad. I've never skied behind one that didn't ski great. I can get past not having touch screens that control the entire boat. Ive driven multiple 200s, a couple CPs, a few 197s, some 196s and some LXIs and some TXIs... I can hold any of them straight with some concentration on what the skier is doing and paying attention. Is the 200 easier? Yeah. Are the others plenty drivable? Yeah.
    ski6jones[Deleted User]RAWSki
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 376 Baller
    "is a cultural taboo but if you ask enough higher level skiers in private I think they will agree." True of so many of the products hyped. There is a hype world which exists in parallel with the truth.
    dtm8119
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,181 Crazy Baller
    @Golfguy you stated that boats should be for the skier not the driver. Well, if the boat won't allow the driver to give a good pull the skier suffers. @Horton what do these "higher level skiers" find to be less preferable about a 200? Just curious. They seem to ski good for me. Now, I have no idea what happens at 39 or 41.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    @Horton I know of more lower level skiers who don't like skiing behind the 200. Personally i will jump at the opportunity to go ski a 200. Any engine, any year. But I'll do the same for a Carbon Pro, a TXi, Prostar or 196. But I do love our carbon pro
    Ralph Lee
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,913 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    A 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition was also $22k. Our local lot has a Z06 stickering at $97.6k. Just saying...
    Scott Calderwood