Two Of My Favourite Quotes From Water Skiing

Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,876 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited February 2017 in Other Stuff
Hi Guy's & Gals
Thought I would share a couple of my favourite quotes, from water skiing.

One came from Tom King fantastic photographer "Doesn't Make Me Happy"

The second was when I was Jetty Marshall, a skier had just skied and equalled the score of the top skier, as he got onto the jetty he was then told that he would have to ski again to decide the winner, he decide to go straight back out with the agreement of the other skier, when he got back in the water, because of the circumstances, a official started to explain his options, at this point the skier replied.

"I Don't Really Care - Hit It"

"Another Ball Bites The Dust”

BRYRalph Lee

Comments

• JAGJAG Posts: 178 Crazy Baller
    One time, my buddy and I were pulling a guy barefoot. (Me driving, him spotting). The guy was going through this elaborate process how to pull him up.
    "ok, give me a bump and take it to 18mph, then I'll give you a signal with my foot to go to 22mph. I'll then give you a quick nod and that's the signal to go to 30mph. Hold it there for exactly 5 seconds and then accelerate to 34".

I look at my buddy and go, "did you understand all of that?".

He looks at me and very softly goes....."Just nail it". :)
    MattPaupatkingschafer6balls
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Advice from Joe Cash at his Sarasota ski school in 1964, about jumping:
    "Accelerate into the ramp. Don't just spring, EXPLODE!"
    I think that advice still is good, some 50 years later.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,407 Crazy Baller
    Something to be said for "just nail it" with barefooting. Years ago when trying my first flying barefoot starts from the top of a houseboat (while friends slept inside, hung over), my first attempt I see the rope go limp as I drop to the water. First failure. "A little quicker please, boat driver". Second attempt, rope goes less limp. Second failure. "Please, hit the throttle a lil quicker". Third attempt, success, flying barefoot attempt works, we add the act to our ski show coming up later that day. I ask my driver, OK, what did you do different on that last attempt? His reply, "as soon as you moved to the edge of the houseboat, I threw the throttle all the way down". Speed is your friend.
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 304 Crazy Baller
    "You can't get hurt in the air!"
    lundbergRichardDoane
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,388 Mega Baller
    Drew Ross used to say "Less is more!" Still haven't figured out how that helps my asymmetrical violence style of skiing?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    drew
  • OTFOTF Posts: 325 Crazy Baller
    @ Thager what Drew meant is that if you (thager) ski LESS then I ( OTF) would be MORE comfortable.........you scare me
    MSWish6balls
    @OTF Learn to react and duck!
    MSWish6balls
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,441 Mega Baller
    Just before leaving the dock for a jump set: "Remember: Safety is job number three."
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Bruce_ButterfieldBill22rodecon
  • BRYBRY Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    "you have excellent error management" first thing a coach once said to me at a clinic
    Zman6ballsBill22RichardDoane
  • MSMS Posts: 5,098 Mega Baller
    Someone needs to repost the "shit skiers say" vid.
    Shut up and ski
    WishBill22
  • CypresskierCypresskier Posts: 35 Baller
    "Well he should be able to hang on to that, as he is as fit as a butcher's dog"
    Pulled Horton [email protected] and didn't even get a lousy BOS t-shirt.
    Don't forget, "New and improved."
  • ThePantsManCanThePantsManCan Posts: 443 Baller
    While in the boat waiting to pull the next skier, my then 2 year old son liked to drop knowledge bombs on us. My favorite was:

"The Go-pellor is Shark!"
    60% of the time, it works.... All the time.
  • Not sure where this originated, but boy is it accurate! "The more I practice, the luckier I get"
    JC McCavit
  • JAGJAG Posts: 178 Crazy Baller

"It's only water. What could go wrong?"
    Shell
  • InthedayIntheday Posts: 134 Baller
    a guy setting up for a barefoot run "this is 90% the driver unless I get this then it's all me"
    Bill22
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 750 Crazy Baller
    A couple tight setups I've seen where its commonly heard "Try not to run into the dock"
  • WishWish Posts: 7,675 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited February 2017
    @MS here ya go.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    thagerMSpumpinpeteLars
    Running the slalom course a series of linked recoveries.
    Luzz
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 181 Baller
    Every time I get in my 4 year old say "just follow us"
    Another one from my brother in law is "why barefoot where nobody can see"
  • SethroSethro Posts: 256 Baller
    No matter the speed at which we approach a dock, even if it's the perfect speed....someone in our group will typically yell "brace yourself, coming in hot"
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 262 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @Thomas_Gustafson: "One more"
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
    See what I am up to on Twitter and Instagram.
    ZmanThomas_Gustafson
    @Luzz That's good. My buds acuse me of too many, "one more, down and back"....
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 525 Crazy Baller
    "He who waits the latest is the coolest."
    edited February 2017
    If we can take this to snow skiing too....you and your snow ski bud trek a lil off-piste on a powder day, then, you both stop as the two of you spot an awesome line of fresh POW through the trees, when you turn to your bud to say....oh, wait....your partner is gone? Ah, "no friends on a powder day".
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 262 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @Zman ooh, yeah that too… Thomas quote is generally about photoshoots and how he makes your turn that super hard onside turn 27 times. I mean, pro photographers want the perfect shot ;)
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
    See what I am up to on Twitter and Instagram.
    Thomas_Gustafson
  • sohoskier2sohoskier2 Posts: 3 Baller
    Getting some coaching from Franck at Florida Ski School and the quote we heard all morning was "I like the intensity BUT...work on x, y, or z"

We took that one back to our home lake and now use (read abuse) it endlessly to give each other a hard time after a pass that does not turn out very well
    Zman
  • xratedxrated Posts: 506 Solid Baller
    @Luzz it isn't just the pro photo guys.

This past summer with my father-in-law along to take pics, "I think if you can just drive over there another 20 yards the sun will be perfect". I then hop in the water and see him telling my wife to drive "20 yards over"....right into the two sets of rollers hitting each other.
    Luzz
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,009 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @fu_man that's awesome!

A young very young @razorross3 to @razorskier1 after pulling off his drysuit...Dad, did you pee you pants? With no answer he simply kept repeating it! Dad, did you pee your pants? Dad, did you pee your pants?
    Dave Ross--die cancer die