Perfect Pass

Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 172 Baller
At the end of last season I inquired about an upgrade, and told them my season was about done. They took the order, and called me back later saying...you said you don't need the boat, we have another upgrade in the pipeline...do you want to wait?

I said absolutely!

A few days ago they called, said the upgrade was ready. Today they shipped it out. Can't wait!
gt2003MISkierHortonBrodie James

Comments

• Rpc29Rpc29 Posts: 150 Baller
    Any details on the upgrade?
    Ryan Christopher
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 263 Baller
    Is this for Stargazer?
  • brodybrody Posts: 279 Baller
    Website says stargazer 3 event
  • WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 372 Baller
    I'm looking at upgrading my PP to stargazer w/ Z-box. Any idea how the upgrade above works with Zbox?
  • Brodie JamesBrodie James Posts: 10 Baller
    @WBLskier I have a StarGazer 3 Event without the Z-Box. The unit which I installed 3 years ago includes 3 components; the control box mounted under the dash, the GPS sensor mounted under the dash forward of the windscreen and the servo motor. I am considering adding a Z-Box which I believe includes an accelerometer and settings that allow the skier to select what sort of pull they would like, similar to Zero Off.

The main reason I am considering adding the Z-Box is the boat over runs on speed when the lead-up to the course is short. The driver can compensate and pull the throttle back a little once the boat is on the plain to ensure the servo has less work to do. This makes a difference however it takes a driver that is familiar with the boat.

If you already have an older PP system you should be able to email PP with the details and they will advise what upgrade components you will need. I have found them to be very helpful.
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,140 Crazy Baller
    Helps with short setups, more user friendly interface! Sounds great. Anyone know how much the software upgrade is? I already have Stargazer.
    schafer
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 159 Baller
    PP website says something about a software upgrade stick for $150
  • Steven HainesSteven Haines Posts: 914 Solid Baller
    Will it make Z Box work correctly?
    escmanazeThan_Bogan
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,415 Mega Baller
    Will it now work out of the box new like one would expect a product to work without fiddling? I'm still running classic b/c I didn't want to fuss but if a really good product now may dump it in my 2000 SN 196
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    brodyWishescmanazeDaveLemons
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 594 Crazy Baller
    I installed ZBox last year and it was plug and play. It immediately took care of some surging issues I was having at 2-ball and felt much closer to a Zero Off pull. Super happy with it and would highly recommend to anyone.
    MISkiersgreggkurtjpattigr
  • brodybrody Posts: 279 Baller
    I have zbox in my bu, no issues was an easy instal and times are good.
    tdusin
    Just talked to PP, upgrade is $150 for one and $250 if you have 2 boats that need it.
    Ryan Christopher
  • AjskierAjskier Posts: 65 Baller
    I didn't see it mentioned above, but did PP mention how it works with Z-box or is this a an upgrade only for Stargazer and no Z-box?
    sgreggrockdogBrodie James
  • LarsLars Posts: 86 Baller
    I was fighting star gazer all last season, I need this update! Anyone know if there's a chance they'd reduce the price for problem-laden stargazer installs?
    escmanaze
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,818 Mega Baller
    @Lars I would say call them and ask. The PP people tend to be pretty accommodating.
    Mark Shaffer
    jcamp
  • DWDW Posts: 1,530 Crazy Baller
    @Rpc29 : Did they happen to price out an upgrade package for the PP Classic people, which would be 2 levels, with 2 line display and with single line display. Reason for question, also noted above, the upgrade to Stargazer has not always yielded great results and it seems like several people have simply stayed with classic to avoid the headaches of getting Stargazer calibrated and performing properly or they simply had no interest or knowledge of the upgrade. Of the 9 boats I ski behind, 3 are ZO, 4 PP classic, 1 Malibu system, 1 no speed control, none are Stargazer equipped. It would be interesting to see the actual PP distribution of classic. SG & SG + Z box.
    @DW I didn't ask. But I'd assume they have something
    Ryan Christopher
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 412 Crazy Baller
    I was all excited to see this as it seems to be exactly what my boat needs. Then I saw the $150 price tag. It's not that I don't have $150, it's just that in today's world where all your microsoft, apple, etc. upgrades are free, it's tough to pay for a software upgrade just to try to get the product that you thought you were buying in the first place. I guess we will see just how desperate I get right around July when my setup starts getting shorter and shorter.
    BrennanKMNGWaterski
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,140 Crazy Baller
    +1 what @escmanaze said.

I still agree PP is a great company, their tech support has always emailed me back. Don't think I'll drop 150 for a upgrade my unit is less than a year old. I plan to run it in classic mode anyway.
  • Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 172 Baller
    I am several versions old, so I don't mind as much. I would rather pay for the upgrade than have ads pop up on my dash though :)
    escmanazeBill22
    @DW There is (and has been for a while) an upgrade package that includes both Stargazer and Z-box along with an optional Multiline display. You can find it on the PP website.
    AkBob
    @Lieutenant Dan : 10-4 I know that, what I was interested in is whether adding the new software to that package would add less than $150 to the price tag. Just my observation is there is a decent % of PP systems out there still PP classic.
    @DW Oh, sorry, misunderstood the question. One would think that the newest software would come with a new upgrade package.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,824 Mega Baller
    @DW, I think PerfectPass runs a great operation. If an update is out and you don't receive it in a new system you order after the update is available, I have to believe they would make it right. I would think the update is included in the systems sold after it is released.

As always, call and ask about what is included and explain what you want. They are really easy to deal with and as helpful as you would expect.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Lieutenant Dan
    @MISkier : They do run a great operation, I have dropped them a note &/or called for information / advice & they are always courteous and great with customer service.
    @Lieutenant Dan : no worries, hopefully that will be one of the configurations available as depending on what you have, different components will be needed to upgrade to latest.
    It would be interesting to know what the distribution of BOS members ski behind, a PP or ZO equipped boat. Not at tournaments but at their own ski site/lake.
    edited March 3
    @DW I emailed Max at skiertoskier.com and he confirmed that the latest software comes with any new upgrades. I may finally now pull the trigger on the Stargazer/Zbox upgrade myself. FYI if you belong to a ski club you can register as such on skiertoskier and get a discount and free shipping if you order via the web.
    DW