2017 Pro Build Fin/Boot Settings

scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,523 Mega Baller
edited March 10 in Skis Fins Bindings
I'm gong out on my 67" Pro Build today for the first time and wondering where to start with fin/boot settings? @SkiJay @Chris Rossi The ski came from the factory at 6.879" (tips), 2.445". 0.781" (head), and 9. Last year on 2016 66" Vapor I ended at 6.961", 2.453", 0.751", 8.5, 29.375". The very last set of the season I skied on @markchilcutt 2016 67" Vapor at 6.964", 2.462", 0.736", 9, center holes on front set of sequence plate, I liked the 67" better than my 66" which is why I sold my 66" and bought the new 67" Pro Build. THANKS
- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- Owner of the FireFan Water Ski League

Comments

• SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,104 Mega Baller
    Hi Scott,

You may have liked the numbers you had on the 66" better if your bindings had been further forward or DFT hat been shorter. I imagine it was a bit loose at the tail. The numbers you had on the 67" would have been noticeably better in that regard, and will likely work pretty well on the ProBuild.

I've also been seeing great width and turn consistency on these numbers:
    6.960, 2.460, .755 (head), 9°, 30.0". This setup leans towards slightly more carving so delivers really consistent smear through all temps.

Enjoy!
    ~Jay
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
    scotchipmankurtRichardDoane
  • ZmanZman Posts: 907 Crazy Baller
    @scotchipman Your height and weight?
    Blood type IPA
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,394 Crazy Baller
    @skijay I am waiting for my Pro Build to arrive, Just want to confirm, front binding 30" ?

Stock states 29 3/4

Setup 67" Front Binding with RTP

"In my mind there is more potential to be released.”

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,523 Mega Baller
    @SkiJay the farthest forward I went on the 66" was 29.5", I did try a DFT as shorts as 0.732" but was normally in the 0.740" range.

On the new 67" Pro Build today I went out at 6.957", 2.444", 0.758", 9°, and 29.75". The ski felt good for the 5th and 6th set of the year, ran some 28's and 32's. I need to go back and check my depth, thought I was closer to 2.455" but my fin log has 2.444"???
    Bruce55
    @skijay invaluable info, thankyou, for the numbers and for the explanation, much appreciated.

edited March 12
    @Zman I'm 5'11" and 155lbs, traditional thinking has me on a 66". I do have long arms/legs with a short torso which "might" explain something.

Thanks @Chris Rossi for your continued help, hoping for a great season!
  • daveokdaveok Posts: 11 Baller
    I'm assuming from the post's this setup was working pretty good? I'm on front Reflex and read is R Style, will try this setting and 5th set this year. running 28's and 32's, water is only 50 degrees, hard for me to feel this ski in cold water. Proposed: 6.960, 2.460, .755 (head), 9°, 30.00"
    edited March 26
    Sligthly off topic but nice presentation on the Radar Pro Build by Brookes Wilson.

scotchipmanBill22
    Hi Guy,s so I got my 67 Pro Build , bearing in mind the water here is still very cold, I run it at stock and then moved the bindings to 29.875 stock fin.
    For me the ski felt really loose, especially in the turn, struggled a bit, fairly eratic, so I decided to go with bindings at 30, got to run more passes, the ski carves a consistent tight turn, but for me the ski now feels really tight, would moving the fin fwd to .755 dft loosen it just a little .
    Hoping@skijay may pick this up

Stock fin being 6.960 2.460 .750

• DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 643 Solid Baller
    @Stevie Boy here is a deep short set up for 67 vapor
    2.505 6.855 .755 wing 9
    front boot 29 5/8 -29 3/4

The skis has a solid feeling for me especially in the turn.

never hurts to try I got these # late last season.
  • Anthony FurmanovichAnthony Furmanovich Posts: 4 Baller
    Any more # for 66 pro build?

many thanks
  • ShaneShane Posts: 17 Baller
    @SkiJay I have a 65" 2017 Pro Build and I have skied approx. 8 sets on it so far. I currently have my bindings 1/8" forward of stock (reflex plate forced me to be 1/8" forward or back) and stock fin settings. My offside turn is very nice, sharp and consistent. My onside turn feels like a large radius turn in which I often take slack coming out of the turn. I have been focusing on an earlier edge change and keeping my elbows pinned to my vest to reduce the slack but to no avail as I shorten the line. Are there some recommended fin/binding settings to help with improving my onside turn to make it as consistent as my offside turn? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 359 Crazy Baller
    69er is loving boots and fin way forward. I've got 1/8" left on my Sequence plate and may end up using it.
  • skihartskihart Posts: 332 Baller
    @Shane what settings are you using? Rini's, Rossi's?
    Perfski set mine up with Rini settings and I tried running the boots 1/4 inch forward like my 16 Vapor but they didnt work out very well. Moved back to stock boot placement and Rini settings and it skis a whole lot better.
    @skihart I am using the number provided earlier on this feed. 6.965, 2.455, .745, 9 degree wing.
    I did not know there were two sets of numbers for the Pro Build. The only ones I have used are the ones provided on the Radar web page.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 359 Crazy Baller
    edited June 16
    @Shane, ping the radar guys if they don't reply on-thread. I know everyone in my particular skiing circle, all on Lithiums or ProBuilds, is having great luck with everything way forward. For instance, I'm at 31-1/4" and .790. She's a big ship and needs big numbers. :) 69.5er

Not all my friends are yetis like me and are enjoying things forward on their 66s and 67s too.
    I'm at, 6.956", 2.458", 0.756", 9°, 29.75" on my 67" and getting a little slack on my onside turn, thinking of going forward with my boots as well???
    @scotchipman @UWSkier thanks for the advise. I will try moving my boots forward a little and adjusting the DFT slightly as well. If I can not get something dialled in I will definitely ping some of the Radar guys. Thanks for all the great advise.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,219 Mega Baller
    @scotchipman how is your speed into offside? Feel fast? If so simply increase wing just slightly. Easy to try, easy to reverse. Binding move alone may necessitate fin compensation as well depending on effect. That still may be the right move just more complexity involved. Just a thought...
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    scotchipman
    edited June 17
    @6balls, possibly... Click HERE for some recent video at 32' from my wakeye, not very watchable unless you slow it down to 1/4 speed.
  • IcebergmanIcebergman Posts: 6 Baller
    I just wanted to throw my current numbers into the discussion since they seem to be quite different from what alot of people are running on they pro builds. I am on a 67 and am running 6.946, 2.466, .765 with a 10.5 wing and 30 front binding placement. I arrived at these numbers over about 2 months of testing and skiing with Jmac.
    scotchipman
  • SkiRVSkiRV Posts: 35 Baller
    @Icebergman Brooks sent me similar numbers for the 68" and it made all the difference
    30.25 - 6.945/2.465/.765/ 9 wing
    Bruce Smith - Villa Lagos
  • IcebergmanIcebergman Posts: 6 Baller
    @SkiRV what have you found the characteristics of the ski to be with these numbers on the 68? I tried bumping farther forward on the 67 as I rode my 16 at 30 1/4 but I found I was losing to much width at my hardest passes
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,104 Mega Baller
    You're right, @Shane, while there are all kinds of different setups out there, there's only one official factory setup for 2017, and they're very good numbers for most skiers.

As for your 65", if your off-side is working exactly the way you want then you're setup is close to perfect. Generally, if we compromise the off-side setup to improve the on-side, we run the risk of lowering the ski's ultimate potential—unless your off-side can be made to turn even tighter, which will help liven up the on-side and make easier off-side turns.

Without video and serious study, this is all a bit of a shot in the dark, but here's my guess. There's a good chance the real problem is that you are not over the front of your ski enough through the finish of on-side turns. Also, with your bindings forward a bit, the tail of the ski will be more supportive—especially through the finish of the turn (read "not finishing with enough angle"). I'd try reducing FL to 6.955 and increasing DFT to .750. This fin area and leverage reduction should make the ski finish with more angle on both sides without getting too tip sensitive. You might also try moving your rear binding back 1/4"—but only if the fin change isn't enough.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
    scotchipman
  • KubaKuba Posts: 5 Baller
    Hello Pro Build riders,
    I am new on a Pro Built 66 with stock setting this year. In the beginning it felt pretty fast. Now with the warmer water it seems to get slower. On my other skis I put the front binding back one hole when the water got warmer. Do you think this could also work on the Pro Built?
    Would be happy to hear from you.
    Take a Degree off the wing , worked for me.