This is why i love the internet

HortonHorton Posts: 23,558 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

MattPthagerMISkierBruce_ButterfieldScottScottOne_SkipumpinpetewtrskiorlakeaustinskierkingshreddDmaxJC_skiBulldogMuskokaKyparkerc2112skibugMrs_MSRalph LeeKrisGaryWilkinsonPacManvtmecheng

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 575 Crazy Baller
    Epic! Bad thing is that we all have done the same thing more than once!
  • EdmundEdmund Posts: 115 Baller
    Nice binding release. :D
    Than_Bogan
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,621 Mega Baller
    What @Edmund said. Do we know what type of release system this fellow is "endorsing"?
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • art90notchart90notch Posts: 42 Baller
    I would laugh, but I did the exact same thing coming through the gates yesterday. There may actually be video of it somewhere. @aupatking
    1skinutaupatking
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 316 Solid Baller
    Shit.....great wipeout, fun to watch.....someone else doing it. So, what did he do wrong?
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,861 Mega Baller
    @ScottScott, the main things I think caused the crash:

1. Butt dragging behind, didn't have hips up.
    2. Arms away from body and chest high, instead of lower and on the hips.
    3. Leading with shoulders first.
    4. Riding a flat ski into the wake, instead of leaning away from the boat with ski on edge.

There was probably more that happened before the video started to put the skier into this bad position, but I wouldn't speculate as to what it was.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    ScottScottskihound
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,155 Crazy Baller
    That kind of OTF can take a day or three to recover from. I did that last year and did not release.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,115 Mega Baller
    I did it yesterday too. Used my head as a fulcrum for which to rotate my body around right behind the boat. 2nd set of the year does not mean you're back in rhythm
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    aupatking
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,558 Administrator
    @ScottScott @MISkier you are both close to getting Pandas. This thread is about skier pain.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• ScottScottScottScott Posts: 316 Solid Baller
    @Horton yes, a pain I have felt many times so trying to learn to avoid as much as possible..... I've never gotten a panda tho....looking forward to my first.
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 647 Crazy Baller
    pretty sure that's a dismount score of 90 with ZBS - regardless of speed
    stå løpet ut
    Bruce_ButterfieldBill22Fast351
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 292 Baller
    Back when I was much younger and much more stupid a friend and I took two very attractive girls out on a public lake. Massive rollers and boat traffic but darn it I was going to ski and make big spray.

Right after the driver pulled me up I realized I needed to shove one foot deeper into a rubber binding so I jumped up on the ski and tried ram my foot deeper.

Unfortunately when I came down I completely buried the tip (like this guy) and took the hardest fall I've ever taken in my life. At full speed right behind the boat in the hard white water. As the driver came around to pick me up the girls said "yeah it looks like we need to take you home and we'll just go out solo with your friend". And thats what happened.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
    Bruce_ButterfieldKeith Menardseveet
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 573 Crazy Baller
    @lakeaustinskier you must have taken quite a shot to the bean to let your friend get away with that... I don't care if I'm near death, I'm not giving that opportunity away.
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 292 Baller
    Like I said - worst fall in my life. Big eye peeler. Next day I had a red eye and bruised ribs. Catching a tip is the worst.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,827 Mega Baller
    The best thing about a crash like that is that you almost never see it coming.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,288 Historical Baller
    Some of the worst crashes used to be on shoe skis. Even though you aren't moving all
    that fast, you can splat barely before you can shut your eyelids. Yes can be worse than
    barefooting falls, since you can sense with your feet what is going to happen in a few
    milliseconds ahead.
    dancin

MattPBruce_Butterfield
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,046 Mega Baller
    @horton more awesomer. Great slowmo
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    @horton, how do you embed IG? img src HTML doesn't seem to work for me since it's not an img format. I'm an ol' skool HTML nerd but what's the trick here?
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,880 Moderator
    @UWSkier just paste the share link. It will auto embed.
    UWSkier
  • One_SkiOne_Ski Posts: 29 Baller
    Total yard sale! This is hilarious.
    edited April 25

art90notchsunvalleylawRalph Lee
  • So_I_SkiSo_I_Ski Posts: 79 Baller
    It really is very hard not to laugh. Immediately when you see the jumper hanging up there with all that time you know he's thinkin ..... this ain't gonna end well! I suspect that I may have seen the hardest, most violent slalom fall that did not end in death when I was driving for my ski partner and he was free skiing in the spring about 10 years ago.

He was going full tilt boogie after about 5 really hard turns on short line and was just exiting the wake when he hit a dead head about 20 feet long, half submerged laying right across his path. I had not seen it and had driven right along side it about 4 feet from my boat. His ski skipped right over it but when the fin hit the log it drove the tip into the water. He smacked the water so hard that his first bounce was about 6 feet in the air. He told us after that he not only had time while he was airborne to get over the shock and wonder what the hell happened but he could even look around before the second impact which was followed by a third and then a tumble. We still laugh at the first words out of his mouth when he climbed onto the swim grid cause he repeated them at least four times. He said ... jesus guys, that really hurt you know! NO KIDDING!
    This is what happens when you lead with your shoulders going into the wake.

Ralph LeeHallpass
  • BeastmodeBeastmode Posts: 85 Baller
    Im very familiar with OTF's I take a few a week. The worst ever was April 2015 Skiing for @lakeaustinskier Driving test for Assistant Driver. My first set on a used Goode Nano Twist ski with an Interlock plate. I had pulled the plate off to look at the way the boots were mounted on the plate and didnt know how to reattach the interlock and just push it on with my hand and foot. My first cut at the gates the plate came off and caught the front edge of the interlock plate- my head slammed into the water so hard and my legs bent over my head and my back locked up. had to be rescued and floated back to the swim step. Jokingly they told @lakeaustinskier "You hurt your skier You FAIL"
  • BeastmodeBeastmode Posts: 85 Baller
    here's a good OTF from last Mays tournament at Bennetts That Tony Lightfoot posted on Utube-
    Texas6Hallpass
    If I took a few OTFs a week, I'd find another sport. I take a couple a year and that's enough for me.

I do wish we had a camera in the boat on my worst ever. Entering the course, blinding sun and glare in my face. Way, way late. Bad form entering course and hooked the left gate ball. Ski stopped, I didn't. People on shore said it looked like I skied over a WWII era anti-ship mine. I'm told my ski did about 5 flips in the air before it landed about 20 yards from where I eventually surfaced.
    Texas6
    @Beastmode, that is some shallow water!
    Justin_C