The Ambassador Directory is live

HortonHorton Posts: 25,050 Administrator
edited March 2017 in Site Info & Instructions
Ok so there are only 3 Ambassadors listed as of today but this is a brand new thing. Click here for the directory or you can find it in the Home Menu. Once we have more of a list I will make the link easier to find.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

swc5150

Comments

• 6balls6balls Posts: 4,792 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    OK my memory sucks what does an ambassador do again?
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,050 Administrator
    edited March 2017
    @6balls
    "a person who acts as a representative or promoter of a specified activity."

In this case the definition is not 100% defined. It is something like "a skier who will be a contact to non-skiers or non- tournament skiers (or .....) who think they may want to see what water skiing is all about". An ambassador would be willing to take newcomers to the lake once on his/her dime and time.

I say on his/her "dime and time" because some folks are going to bring gas or beer or money but some will not. As an Ambassador I think the rule is you suck it up for one day if the newcomers don't get it.

See the original thread

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

6ballsReggieO
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,149 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    2 of those 3 on the list definately fit that definition: @Horton ????? Meh!
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • SKILIQUIDZONESKILIQUIDZONE Posts: 10 Baller
    How do we sign up?
    @SKILIQUIDZONE just send me an email as if I do not know who you are....

Guys from Texas are killing it.

• jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 442 Solid Baller
    Do you only want current tournament skiers on your list? I have unlimited course access at a great public site and a zero-off boat, but I have not skied in a non-club tourney in a long while.

Your call, I'm happy to give anyone who wants to ski the course a tow.
    BRYswc5150
    @jjackkrash you might do a better job than one of us hardcore (obsessive / anal) tournament guys. Yeah you should be on the list

Response to this has been really great so far.

For the rest of you guys I need EXACTLY the following

Your real name
    What state you are in
    What is the name of the nearest major metro
    Your email address
    NOTHING ELSE

The list is now in the main menu at the top of the page. If you are a member you can click on your state to see your name. Click on your name to send yourself a blind email.

OK so we have a good starting list. I feel pretty good about the high level idea. Now the trick is how do we make an impact? Do we do Facebook or Google advertising? ??? We are NOT selling ski school but we are making ourselves available to people who want to see if water skiing is for them.

Do we start Ambassadors group with the purpose promoting the sport to new skiers? Does anyone to be considered for the job of Grand Ambassador? (Kommissar / Commodore )

edited March 2017
    Here is the text from the top of the directory. I know this idea is a good one but
    I do need some help from you guys to implement it. This is nothing more than an effort to grow the sport. I'm very open to additional ideas about how to publicize this program

What is the Ambassador Program?

BallOfSpray Ambassadors are skiers who have volunteered to help grow the sport of water skiing. If you are a skier who would like to try a slalom course for the first time or maybe you are curious about water ski tournaments or are just looking to meet some more advanced skiers in your area then you should contact your local Ambassador.

To find your local Ambassador below select your state and then the Ambassador nearest you.

skibrain
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,566 Crazy Baller
    Awesome idea and start-up. To me the text reads like you're focused on growing course and tourney skiing, which is a great thing. Just wonder if there may be a way to include text that encourages some more novice skiers who would appreciate hooking up with an ambassador? Nice job! You'll get our info as soon as we get the next boat.
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 623 Crazy Baller
    If advertising I'd think trying an avenue that would be somewhat related to skiing or outdoors..... boating forums, high school swim teams, CREW, maybe local gyms. I can just picture advertising on Facebook then a couch potato shows up, totally clueless, never been on a boat, doesn't realize you should be able to swim in order to ski, etc.

I guess there would have to be a low limit on "students" otherwise you'd be a free boat cruise for 10 high school students just looking to get a tan.
    updates are up to date. If you sent me an email your name should be on the list and please send yourself a test message to make sure I did not fat finger something.

Hey I have pulled the directory down because of tech issues. Painfull!

Tech issue fixed for now.
    Ambassadors note that temporarily Outlook or other Microsoft email systems may route your Ambassador emails to spam but you will get them. (stupid Microsoft)

So how does this work in the real world?

Someone found me a few weeks ago and said he wanted his 9 year old boy to ski. I said come ski with me some time. We set a time for this upcoming Sunday. I will take them skiing on my dime and then tell him where he can meet more skiers and or buy rides. It will cost me an hour or two of my time and gallon of fuel.

All we are doing here is giving random folks a look at what we do. No more / no less. That is the whole idea.

jjackkrashgt2003MattP
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 796 Crazy Baller
    @Horton just sent you an email
    sunvalleylawHorton
    Update - This is a long term project and it has been a little slow getting off the ground. I spent a good hour on the phone with @JeffSurdej talking about it today.

One of many things we discussed what finding someone be be the Lead Ambassador. This person needs a good knowledge of social media, be willing to accept guidance, and have some time to invest in the project.

• Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 254 Solid Baller
    Absolutely love the idea!

@Horton, any liability for you or any ambassadors?
    I used to do ski lessons in the past and it was a concern
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,021 Mega Baller
    I notice the ambassadors directory has disappeared in the last week. What's up with that @Horton ?
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    @dchristman funny you should ask. I was just talking to @JeffSurdej about the whole program. The original effort was kind of a failure because some technology issues on my side. We will re-envision and relaunch in the spring

• evolskievolski Posts: 56 Baller
    @horton from a marketing stand point, from my understanding the key will be to reach the want-a-bees/interested. one of the best and free ways is SEO which the site is ok right now for current skiers, but not so much for people I think you want to attract. if you are planning to do this again, now would be the time to start implementing some changes. Sorry if off topic or too technical. Making it keyword friendly section for non-skiers wanting to be skiers.
    edited November 2017
    @evolski The past issues were MUCH more fundamental than that. Emails from the the site were not getting through to the ambassadors because of a server load balancing tool I was using... long boring story.

Bottom line is I strongly believe in the original concept so we will start from scratch in the new year.

• AjskierAjskier Posts: 80 Baller
    @horton, do you think you might be able to include the type of pull that you can get. Maybe you already included that, but I never got to see the listing before it was pulled down. I am a member of a ski club, but all we do is slalom and occasionally mess around barefooting. However, I used to jump and that is what got me to go to tournaments because I was and still am not great in the other two events, but I really enjoyed jumping and was somewhat competitive. However, the site that I used to practice at no longer has a jump, but I would like to find someone close by that has a jump and get back into it. I haven't had any luck connecting with another site that has one. I think it would be helpful to people to know that they might be able to try out a different discipline if they want. It might bring some fringe people out and get them back into skiing.
    @ajskier that is not a bad idea. At this point I have not started re-started the project but I like your idea.

Ajskier