Tournament practice

jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 212 Baller
Just getting back to skiing tournaments after a 17 year hiatus, thanks @Horton, and lets say my tournament PB is still a ways a way from my practice PB. My question how do most of you prep for a upcoming tournament? BTW tied my PB that i set in 1999
RichardDoanesantangelo

Comments

• 6balls6balls Posts: 4,415 Mega Baller
    Go ski enough tourneys to get rid of some of the nerves. If you can ski the site ahead of time (arrive in time for practice). Ski down the line in practice with some regularity...it's amazing how you can ski a really ragged pass, shorten up and ski a clean one that is more difficult. This helps confidence following a ragged tourney pass...wash it away and just be happy you are out the end gates and go to the next one.
    Ski multi-round tourneys...not only more skiing for your buck and time but more chances. Stay cool and hydrated on those days helping out where possible...sometimes by round 3 if too much sun you can feel pretty beat.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    MISkierRazorRoss3
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,899 Mega Baller
    volunteer to help out with dock starting duties - you'll get to meet everyone and put faces to names, plus it really helps the tournament
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    bassfooterJohn BrooksRazorRoss3Than_Bogan
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,818 Mega Baller
    Great advice from @Than_Bogan and @RichardDoane. I dock started the first couple of tournaments I went to and it was a great way to meet people.
    Mark Shaffer
    RichardDoane
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Make sure bindings and fin are in the correct place.
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    IlivetoskiRalph LeeMattP
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,142 Mega Baller
    Many skiers do not ski the day before a tournament. I ski the day before just as another opportunity to ski. Try to not ski a day or two after a tournament.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• dchristmandchristman Posts: 820 Mega Baller
    @Jody_Seal why not ski a day AND two after the tournament as two more opportunities to ski?
    Patience is the key to Joy.
    Than_BoganJody_Sealskialexeyepeeler
  • MSMS Posts: 4,279 Mega Baller
    Every lake is different, get there the day before and take some sets to dial it in.
    Shut up and ski
    thager
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 82 Baller
    I generally ski as well or better at turnaments. Keep in mind you need to be prepared mentally and physically. As Thad recommended be rested, unless I have a compelling reason never ski day before tournament. Better to be fresh than one more set of practice. I never feel the need to ski at tournament site, bettter to be rested, every site i have been to has the buoys in the same pattern. Your first three passes in tournament are for getting adjusted to the site. To be better mentally prepared on ski passes that you wont miss on last set before the tournament.
    ALPJrMSBruce_Butterfield