Crashing with a boot binding?

KrisKris Posts: 10 Baller
edited June 12 in Skis Fins Bindings
Hey all,

So this will be my fourth season waterskiing, and having paid our dues over the first three seasons with a combination of old boats and inherited seventies special combo skis, my husband and I finally got properly equipped this year, with a decent boat outfitted with an optimal prop, and a brand new Radar Senate Alloy, which is *da BOMB* compared to what we cut our teeth on.

We share this ski. My being a chick means I am at the lightest end of the weight range appropriate for it, while he is at the heavier end. We opted for a boot binding for the front foot, and a semi-boot for the back. (We are both RFF.) He wears the bindings at their loosest, and I wear them almost at their tightest.

We both love these bindings, and agree that they greatly enhance our performance. The ski feels more like an extension of my body, as opposed to something I have to "manage" with constant micro-adjustments to my foot's position, as has been my experience with velcro and slip on bindings. The support provided to my foot and ankle is wonderful.

I am cutting harder and with more control than ever before, but it occurred to me this evening as I struggled to remove the ski from my foot after 2 good runs that it might not come off when I crash. (Ahem. I am still at a level where if I cut too hard to try to clear a buoy, I wipe out spectacularly. It is not a matter of "if", but "when", lol) :)

So here is a newbish question... Am I being paranoid to think that all of that wonderful, snug support comes at the cost of the ski not releasing during a wipeout, thereby potentially maiming me for life?

Is my ski going to come off due to the bungee cord attachment system? Should I be using a product to keep it slippery? I used a bit of camp soap for my second and third runs- but I frankly do not want my foot to slide around in there... that would defeat the whole purpose of a boot binding!

We currently take the slalom course at 30 mph.

(And the worst part is that even if y'all tell me "Why yes. You probably *will* break a leg if you crash in the slalom course at this speed with a boot binding"- I'll probably stick with it anyway, and just try to "be careful". It really is that much better.)

Thanks

Comments

• gregygregy Posts: 2,345 Mega Baller
    Eventually you will both want to have you own skis and boots. What boots did you get? I think most of the Radars are meant to release from. Injuries do happen be careful.
  • KrisKris Posts: 10 Baller
    I have Radar Vector bindings.

I've used them quite a bit since posting that, and concluded that it is only important that I know when to release the bar.

I have so much more control with this ski that I'm not really worried about it anymore. Anyhow, it's just a risk that comes with the territory.
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 305 Solid Baller
    Any boot, unless in a release system, will need to be loose enough that you can kick it off in the water at end of set without loosening any strings or buckles. I wet my foot and boot before putting it on on the platform, then test to see if i can just lift my heal past the ankle to know i have laces just loose enough. I would second that you would want to look toward having your own skiis as much to have a good fitting boot as for the skiis. Check ski-it-again for some used year or 2 old equipment, or performance skiis often has some great deals on demo or discontinued equipment.
    Kris
    Re: releasing the bar..... thats a good plan.....but, sometimes those wipouts can sneak up on you. Make sure youll come out of that boot.
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 469 Solid Baller
    Not to tell you your business, but if you two really enjoy skiing I highly recommend each getting your own equipment. Equipment is designed for size of the person. Especially bindings. It's not a matter of ability as it is a matter of safety first. If you continue with this setup for the two of you it is not a question of if but when you will get injured. I second what @ScottScott said about ski it again.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 2,997 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    edited June 20
    College kids share skis and bindings with wide variations in foot size and weight. I've seen wetsuit booties and foam pads for the girls to make them fit safely and give good comfort.

Eventually you both need skis of your own.

Eric

Heretical PS Sometimes no release is safest if you keep both feet attached.
    ALPJr
  • KrisKris Posts: 10 Baller
    We do eventually want our own set up. We both love the ski (and it is within range for both of us in terms of our height and weight) but after looking into it, we thought we would invest in OB4 or Relex release bindings and individual boots next year. We have already spent as much as we are going to this season.

Scott, that is exactly what I have been doing: making sure I can easily pop off the ski in the water after a set. I realized I was doing it wrong when I couldn't do that the first time around. This makes for less support, but it's better than breaking an ankle.
  • nzguynzguy Posts: 19 Baller
    @Kris +1 for the MOB release. But just be aware that with a mechanical release, unless you just happen to be about the same weight, height and ability you will each want different release settings to be safe. They do also require maintenance.
    There are quite a few threads on here about all the different binding systems. Definitely encourage you to check them out to get a feel for the pros and cons of each.
    Kris
    Mob is the system i am hoping to move to eventually. AND it would allow for one ski, one plate, then each of you to have your own boot. But, as @nzguy said, even more so than 2 people fitting into the range in size /weight of boot and ski..... a release system is going to be more specific regarding adjustment so it releases properly. You would likely be needing to adjust with every switch between the 2 of you. For the cost you could likely get into a nice ski/boot combo so you each have your own, then look to move to a release syatem a little farther down the road.
    tdusinKris