Zero Off for Different Boat Manufacturers

albernhagenalbernhagen Posts: 4 New Baller
Hi All,

I have a 2012 Malibu Response LX that I'm looking to put Zero Off into (it currently has Malibu's Cruise Control). My question for you all is whether or not I can put in a Mastercraft ZO kit or if it has to be the Malibu version? I am able to buy the former (E1885560 part #) much cheaper than buying the new Malibu setup straight from ZO. I'd appreciate any input/advice you all have.

Thanks!
Andy

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 589 Crazy Baller
    I believe each ZO is made for the type of manufacture. Software, harness, etc. May be universal with the same ECU but that would be all. Call ZO and ask or @Jody_Seal might have some insight also.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,882 Mega Baller
    edited June 12
    I think Jody has a Malibu head unit available for $400. All you have to do after that is get it flashed with the new rev R for your boat.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • albernhagenalbernhagen Posts: 4 New Baller
    Do I need anything besides the head unit to be able to wire it into my boat? I'm not sure what difference is between just that and the full kits you can buy.
    I believe the boat might be pre-wired for ZO with a harness already. If so, you should be able to see connectors under the helm. Most of the control software is already in the ECM of the engine. You will also need the GPS pucks and the wiring to connect those to the harness.

What was included in the MasterCraft kit you were considering?
    Go to the Zero Off site (zerogps.com) and select Products. Go to the second page of those and look at the Main Wire Harness. It plugs into the CAN interface to the ECM and provides separate connectors for the head unit, GPS puck/antennas, judges display, jump switch, etc. If you have only the CAN interface plug under the helm, you need this cable (if not included with the kit/head unit). If you see all the separate connectors, you are in pretty good shape to get a head unit, GPS puck/antenna, and cables for the antenna.
    This is the one I was looking at getting - https://greatlakesskipper.com/mastercraft-2013-zero-off-e1885560-marine-boat-gps-speed-control-kit-509162. It's tough for me to justify $1600 for the kit, but $700 is a bit more reasonable to me. I'll check tonight to see if the wiring harnesses are there. I don't entirely know what they look like -- are there certain pin counts I should be looking for? If this kit would even potentially work? I could look at that Malibu unit, though I'd have to find some pucks for it too I assume.
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 589 Crazy Baller
    Like PP systems, it seems more expensive to piece the ZO together. Unfortunately I would just buy the kit from ZO, that way you know it's right. Just my .02. Our sport is expensive no matter what you buy, and this is just another cost that would be well worth it in the end. Good luck!
    edited June 12
    That's a great price and a complete kit. There is a picture on the site you linked that shows a group of pictures of the connectors of the harness. The connector in the upper right portion of the group (red rectangle with rounded corners) plugs into the CAN interface. Look for its mate under your helm. I think you could make it work, but you might need your Malibu dealer to flash the right software for you.

Edited: the connector for the CAN is in the upper right of that grouping.
  • Chad_ScottChad_Scott Posts: 358 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    You will want one that is set up and calibrated for the Malibu. Each manufacturer has set different gains and delays based upon hull and performance
    MISkierUWSkier
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the MC version probably isn't the right way to go judging from what Scott said. I looked today to try and find some wiring and wasn't really sure I had what I needed. The boat does have the Malibu precision pro cruise control, but I only found one open wire below the dash. I would think being a 2012 this has the necessary wiring but now I'm not so sure.