Malibu Response Model History?

scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,639
edited June 13 in Boat Talk
What was the first year for the Response? What was the first year for the Response LX? LXi? What was the last year Malibu used wood in their boat? THANKS
- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- Owner of the FireFan Water Ski League

Comments

• andjulesandjules Posts: 616 Crazy Baller
    edited June 13
    @scotchipman I think these are the right answers:
    - I believe the Response was introduced in 95 and I think it was available in closed bow and walk-over open bow (LX) from the beginning. It was a mid-price option between the Echelon (high) and Tantrum (low), they all shared the original SV23 hull
    - I believe a couple of aging Malibu models still had wood as as late as 1994, but the Echelon (the first Malibu based on the SV23 hull) was all-glass from it's introduction in 93.
    - It's important to note that from 1998 the Response gets the favourable diamond hull (added lift chines that make for a softer wake). They killed the Echelon and Tantrum (97), making the Response the high-end option and introduce the slightly cheaper Sportster (98).
    - Also worth noting that from 1999 the Response gets a rear storage locker
    - I think the LXi (walk-thru) was introduced in 2003
    scotchipmanMISkier
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,639
    edited June 13
    Thanks @andjules, just what my friend was looking for. Was 1998 the first year for the LX?

To add to the list I know the Response TXi came out in 2012, changed to Crusader power in 2015 which is located the engine 3-4" further forward than the Indmar powered boats in years prior, and the latest Response TXi in 2017.
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 71 Baller
    The guys over at www.malibucrew.com should be able to provide you with all the info you need.
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 616 Crazy Baller
    edited June 13
    No, unless I'm mistaken, the LX was available from the start (95). But 1998 is the year the Response (both closed bow and LX) gets the diamond hull, which was a noticeable improvement.
    Just to be clear:
    - Response = closed bow
    - Response LX = walk-over open bow
    - Response LXi = walkthrough open bow
    scotchipman
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,530 Mega Baller
    Looks like Response LX first year was 1996 looking at the brochures over on Malibu crew
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    scotchipman
    edited June 13
    @andjules
    And lets not forget
    Response FXI - VTX hull with a direct drive motor location (2009-2011)
    Response LXR - Basically an LX but with a skinny walkthrough and open bow (2015-2016)
    Chuck P
    andjules
  • DWDW Posts: 1,530 Crazy Baller
    @scotchipman : @andjules pretty much nailed it, the Response (which was simply a different top deck and interior appointments to the Echelon) was offered 1996 onward specifically to hit a lower price point to the Echelon.
    - The LXi rides on a wider SV23 hull and has Gen 1(2003-2006) and Gen 2 (2007-2011) variations, followed by the TXi introduced in '12.
    - the Response & RLX were available during the LXi lifecycle.
    - 1993 was the introduction of the SV23 hull which has no wood which is the basis for the Echelon / Response series. Prior models and the Euro F-3 which ran to '94 did have wood stringers.
    - To add to the Response heritage, the LXR was introduced (2015) as a lower cost option to the LXi, the LXR is pretty much an LX but with a walk through bow rather than step over. I think available earlier in the land of Oz.
    scotchipmanandjules
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,140 Crazy Baller
    Slightly off topic; I don't see how anyone could order a LXR without a wedge plate bracket??!

In 6-8 years a 2015 LXR would be in my price range to upgrade my Lx. I don't do any boarding but as a family man a wedge would be nice.
    @Bill22 - trick might be finding one. Be curious to know how many they actually built and sold. There are still dealers with unsold 2015's so they must not have been real popular - or maybe just over priced

New 2015 LXR

Another 2015
    Chuck P
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,639
    Thanks guys! I forgot all about the FXi.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,818 Mega Baller
    The LXR was kind of pricey when new for what it is. The one listed for 45k isn't unreasonable to me but I seem to remember them being closer to 60 when released.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 522 Crazy Baller
    So is the Sporster the diamond hull? All very good info as I am no where up on the Malibu scene.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 563 Crazy Baller
    edited June 14
    Sportster is on the SV23 hull. Good footing wake. Small but hard wakes for slalom. Same as majority of Echelons and Responses before 98
    andjules
  • mlangemlange Posts: 144 Baller
    edited June 14
    Go to LINK and you can find everything about years, models, etc...

RTXi 2012 - Current - T Cut Diamond
    RLXR 2015 - Current - Diamond
    RLXi 2007 - 2011 - Cut Diamond
    RXLi 2003 - 2006 - SV23 Diamond
    R/RLX 1998 - 2014 - SV23 Diamond
    R/RLX 1996 - 1997 - SV23
    UWSkierscotchipman