which waterskis made in USA?

moskimoski Posts: 27 Baller
curious which waterskis are made in the USA?

i heard and let me know if this is accurate:
Connelly is made in USA, true or false?
Top end Radar is USA, but their mid range is China, true or false?

What about:
HO, D3, Obrien,

Thanks,
moski
Cent

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,885 Moderator
    edited June 15
    Made in USA:
    Radar
    Mapple
    D3
    Raptor
    HO
    O'brien
    Connelly
    Goode
    Denali
    MC I think has US production?
    Goodman
    Quantum
    jayskiRazorRoss3
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,685 Administrator
    edited June 15
    @MattP got it mostly right. Almost all high end skis are made in the United States. Most mid and low range skis are made in Asia. Reflex has made in France I assume.

Being made in Asia is not necessarily a bad thing. In the case of Radar they actually have their own facility and their own staff there. I have not seen any significant quality issues because of Asian manufacturing.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

RazorRoss3Skoot1123
  • moskimoski Posts: 27 Baller
    thank you guys. good stuff. appreciate it.

im looking for a used/new to me ski.
    @moski don't be afraid of skis made outside the US.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Than_BoganSkoot1123Bulldogsavaiusini
  • moskimoski Posts: 27 Baller
    @Horton thank you. this is a great forum. followed for awhile. great people on this forum. i've talked to a few guys over the phone last night and today. great advice.

as far as skis. i got good advice last night from a guy on this forum. great phone call. thanks @OB1
    im a: 30 mph. ive hit 15 off and have got to 3 ball at 22 off. he said wake will be a little better at 32 mph, so thats what i plan to do. but also my ski is a 1997 HO mach 1 65". boot w/ a RTP. he said dude time to upgrade that shit. lol....
    again he gave me good advice. don't do a top level ski, i should do a mid range ski for what im doing now which will help me in the long run. also do Wiley boots....

I believe he said maybe stay at 65" ski but do a mid range for my speed and rope length (im 5'8" and 150): i think he said Radar senate is a mid range ski. what are other mid range skis????? im a bit out of the loop.

Thanks,
    moski
    D3dude
    edited June 15
    Radar Senate, Connelly V or HO CX would all be great for you. Check out www.perfski.com they will hook you up and give you solid advice

• jayskijayski Posts: 520 Crazy Baller
    O'Brien is not, transferred production about 2 years ago and Ho is transferring production to overseas this year...I would safely assume Connelly will follow as it all part of the same company
    @jayski You are correct about O'Brien but I am doubtful that the high end PVC core / all carbon Connelly and HO skis are going overseas. We will see.

• ScottScottScottScott Posts: 323 Solid Baller
    Im sure the ski manufactures will do a fine job of maintaining quality of asian produced skis. Goes a little farther than that though. If given the choice between 2 quality manufacturers i would opt for the one produced in the US.
    Rluthi
  • jayskijayski Posts: 520 Crazy Baller
    @Horton word right from my HO wholesale rep himself this spring, transition is this year...
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 436 Baller
    Materials, equipment and machinery are everywhere the same.
    It is all about quality management, production and postproduction control.
    HortonmoskiScottScott
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    Connelly just produced a great video of their GT being produced (in USA), similar to the vids Radar has put out over the years. Would be kind of dirty pool on their part to shift production of that ski overseas right after producing that vid... My dad was a bean counter though so I know anything can happen!
  • RluthiRluthi Posts: 11 Baller
    Its also about who is employed. If something goes overseas i would prefer to buy something that is made in the USA. My two cents
    GarScottScottMuskokaKyjipster43
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 323 Solid Baller
    edited September 16
    @Rluthi Agreed
    rawlyRluthiMuskokaKyjipster43
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,850 Crazy Baller
    Depends on the job. Laying up resin in a mold is not rocket science and has little mobility. If outsourcing 3 laminators let's you hire a designer or a pro skier or a cad guy.... This are all better jobs for someone
    Than_BoganScottScottDaveDRluthiaupatkingOrlando76HortonJordanjipster43
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 785 Crazy Baller
    All O'Brien? That is sad. Though, when was their last high-end ski introduced? I've been wondering if they bailed from the competition market.
    It would surprise me to hear that the Syndicate Pro was made in China, not that it has any effect on quality. They keep enough tooling and gear that the Syndicate crew can monkey with a new pressing whenever they want, and send those specs to China when they hit something they like, I guess.
    With the market Korea has right now, I'd put my plant there. Those guys care about quality skis.
    And, as far as made in USA meaning quality, I've seen more broken skis from one of those manufacturers on that list than all others combined.
    I miss when this country made good things too. Like my Radar Vapor they made 2 weeks ago.
    Jody_Sealgsm_peterjipster43
    @aupatking the Syndicate Pro is made in Seattle

• aupatkingaupatking Posts: 785 Crazy Baller
    Sorry @Horton I was really spitballing an example. I figure those guys are pretty proud of that product. I'd be hand making every one, just out of pride. That's supposed to be an incredible ski
  • PhilSymoPhilSymo Posts: 49 Baller
    Thought Reflex Skis were made in Bangkok???
    cedarskier6
  • GlydonGlydon Posts: 171 Baller
    @aupatking suppose you will not say which manufacturer be interesting to know . I love my 2012 Syndicate ... however when time to upgrade comes I want the BEST quality.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,850 Crazy Baller
    @Horton - I don't think my post challenges that sentiment, these companies need 1 or 2 guys who can laminate high end skis and prototype. I'm just not critical of the desire to outsource production of lower end skis many of which aren't carbon, maybe don't have directional lay up in the material etc.

As someone who actually does a good bit of carbon fiber lay up I appreciate the skill and quality that a well trained craftsman is capable and the difficulties - that said you cannot pretend that ALL skis are hand crafted prototypes and a well run production environment can repeatedly follow a process.

ConorThan_Bogan
  • savaiusinisavaiusini Posts: 227 Water Ski Industry Professional
    I'm hearing a little bit of misinformation on here at least as it pertains to HO Skis.
    Allow me to give the real scoop...

All of our flagship Syndicate skis are made in Lynnwood, WA. This includes the Syndicate Pro, VTX, VTR, V-Type, A3, S2... and so on.

2017 was the first full model year where we built our crossover and freeride skis in Taiwan.

For 2018, all Omni (even the Syndicate Omni), Freeride and EVO skis will be built in Taiwan.

We keep a very close eye on production, both here and abroad and I wouldn't let the factory sway your buying decision. We've seen no negative side effects to build or finish quality since moving production.
    Sam Avaiusini - Operations Manager, HO Sports Company, Snoqualmie, WA
    aupatking
  • savaiusinisavaiusini Posts: 227 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @moski Definitely check out a Carbon Omni!
    Sam Avaiusini - Operations Manager, HO Sports Company, Snoqualmie, WA
  • RluthiRluthi Posts: 11 Baller
    I want to hear more about the broken USA built skis
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,063 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    If my skis don't break, I remove material until they do. Part of the design process.

@Rluthi Focusing on breakage is not the primary determinant of ski quality. Buoy count might be. Most will accept a high cost per buoy improved. Only a real problem if you can't get a replacement for the broken ski.

I think that a well designed process will produce quality skis regardless of what country does the work. There's lots of good equipment from many places.

Eric
    HortonMS
    @Rluthi ski breakage is mostly a thing of the past. There is not a brand that I know if that has had much breakage in the last few years.

GlydonRluthi