Kids Slalom Ski

Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,745 Mega Baller
Looking for recommendations on a kid's slalom ski. My daughter is 7 and her wish is to get up on one ski this year. Any ideas are appreciated as well as tips for getting her up on one ski?
rico

Comments

• ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    I think the most recommended beginner ski was the O'brien Jr. Amigo. It is a shaped ski combo set. Moving the rear toe up closer to the front binding made it a stable yet crisp turning slalom for beginners.

I don't think it is still around. However, I suspect that many currently available skis with similar shapes will work, too.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • h2o.nhkh2o.nhk Posts: 135 Baller
    @Bruce_Butterfield can definitely provide some insight

my 7yr old daughter learned on a connelly JR slalom from a combo. Worked really well for her. Once she was up, turning, and crossing the wake Bruce recommended going to a bigger ski. I put her on my old 64" KD7000 with kid size bindings this year. She's 8 now and doing really well on the bigger ski.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    As for transitioning from combo to slalom, there are many paths:
    Skier's Salute (ability to ski on one combo while holding the other tip up and out of the water)
    Boom
    Dropping a ski
    Boom with only handle section
    Deep water start with EZ up handle (long "V" bridle)
    Deep water start with adult helping to keep stable in the water

My recommendation is:
    • Do skier's salute to determine which ski she can ride on the longest while holding the other out of the water. This skiing leg becomes the front foot.
    • Then, gain access to a boat with a boom. Get up on slalom and refine the proper stacked skiing position on the boom. Do this for a few rides before moving on.
    • Then, drop ski (on boom or on rope).
    • Then, deep water on boom 5-foot or rope).
    The whole time, reminding/modeling good posture (arms straight, chest proud and tall, hips over front foot, front ankle bent, etc.). Anytime the skier starts to get unstable, remind them to be tall and arms straight. That typically settles things down.

The skier needs to know what it feels like to ski in proper position before they learn deep water start. This way the skier knows what position they are trying to get to while getting up. The above methods help to build skiing position skills before attempting deep water starts.

Also, the skier needs to know that they will be pulled along in the water for a few feet before they have enough speed to push with their legs to get up. This is different than combos, so remind them frequently.

-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,055 Mega Baller
    Definitely the wide shaped skis are the way to go. Unless she is screaming to slalom i would try to have her get more time on 2 skiis. Run the course at slow speed (start about 10mph) long line and increase each pass she makes. That will make her progress much faster and really pay off in the long run.

Try this for more than you want to know :)
    goo.gl/0ZkZcR
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 451 Crazy Baller
    We did some ski dropping with the first kid and skipped that step for the second, going straight to getting up on one ski. The younger is ahead of where the first kid was. We'll see how long that lasts. So no right answer here, either can work.

One used an O'Brien Jr Siege and the other is on the Radar Total Awesomeness. Both were/are good, but to me the TRA is much better.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,862 Mega Baller
    My son learned on one of the skis from the pair we had. When he was starting out I put a piece of non skid on the back of the ski without the RTP so that he could just step on the ski and not worry about where the binding was. Once he was comfortable with that we moved to a RTP.

My son just learned to get up on one ski behind the boat he didn't drop a ski. He was pretty young at the time and couldn't control the combos in the water without the bar on them. He begged me to try a deep water start and on about the third try got out of the water and by the fifth try skied 200+ yards. I generally would have gone the skiers salute and dropping a ski.

Definitely get an easy up handle for the kids it helps with keeping the ski straight when they are just learning.

My son's first slalom ski was a 63" HO wide ride ski that worked great as he was learning the course and he ran 30 mph @15 off on that ski. Frankly a 65 or 66" conventional ski would have worked just as well but I didn't have one to give him.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,745 Mega Baller
    Thanks everyone. Has anyone tried the Connelly Prodigy?
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 123 Baller
    My daughter is just learning to drop a ski long line. She's on an old set of combo's, I think they are 57". We tried a newer set of 63" HO Blast but they were too tough to control in the water. When she drops she is really wobbly on the single as she tries to get her back foot on (one foot in and one foot still out). We are coaching her to drag the toe of her back foot for stability.
    Would moving the front binding help with stability of the ski? Would slowing down or speeding up help?
    She's 9yr and 60lbs
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,862 Mega Baller
    @Fam-man I would try slowing down until she gets more stable. The other thing I did was put a piece of non skid on the back of the ski without the RTP so the kids could just put their foot down without searching for the right spot. It made it much easier for the kids to get comfortable on one ski. Once they were comfortable skiing on one we moved to the ski with the RTP.
    Mark Shaffer
    Bruce_Butterfield
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 123 Baller
    Thanks @Chef23 I saw the nonskid in your earlier post and thought it was a good idea.
  • moskimoski Posts: 27 Baller
    my daughter came up on one last summer when she was 8 yrs old. 64" obrien slalom ski from a pair of combos.... she was smiling from ear to ear. amazing....
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,329 Crazy Baller
    A good, right sized pair of combos should work.
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 451 Crazy Baller
    A weight on he tail is very helpful when they are young and trying to control a floating ski in the water. You can buy or make one easily. I painted two strips of steel and used double sided tape to go on either side of the fin. That with an easy up handle helps tremendously.
    Skoot1123