68" V-Type R Settings

ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,205 Crazy Baller
68" VTR skiers what front boot and fin settings are working for you?

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 409 Solid Baller
    My buddy rides a 68" and these are the settings that work for him.
    7 degrees

I use similar numbers on my 67.

• LuzzLuzz Posts: 184 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @ALPJr Despite I have never used the 68", here's something to try as far as fin goes (stock bindings):
    9 degrees

I know they look way far off, but the surface area is not drastically different, despite the out-of-ordinary length-width-dft.
    Give it a shot and let me know
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    See what I am up to on Twitter and Instagram.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,205 Crazy Baller
    @Luzz they are very close to where I landed today. Slightly long and shallow of factory. 9* and dft is a little less .740 (I've been measuring that the from bottom of bevel). Front boot at 29 13/16. Compared to the 67" I really like the extra surface area and slightly increased stiffness.
    Luzz
    @ALPJr Nice. I can't talk much about binding placement for the 68", but with that setting on the 67" I ended up at 29 5/8, so slightly further forward than stock. Maybe something to consider. However, given that dft is .74, make sure to go forward also with the fin.

Also, I have actually tested the 68" at a point, but it was early in my VTR days, so I can't honestly recall what I tried. I remember that, in my case, it was too much surface area :smiley:
    @Luzz so I have a funny question. Are we measuring tail to fin from the bevel or from the back?
    @bigskieridaho wow… that may be too technical for me haha. I press the head of the caliper against the tail and measure vertically, so I am guessing bevel?
    MJ1
    @Luzz Well we could say the top of the bevel or the bottom...... of it is the top then my measurements are good, if the bottom then they are off....just sayin. Or I could be off??? Ha
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,205 Crazy Baller
    HO rep said to measure from bottom where bevel meets bottom of ski. The tail end of the VTR is beveled, not flat.
  • skialexskialex Posts: 518 Solid Baller
    It's critical to use a common measuring method when sharing numbers. What @Luzz says, measure DFT by pressing the head flat with your thumb against the ski. Holding ski vertical takes out the weight of the caliper and produces repeatable numbers. Bevel edge is not your reference point for measuring DFT. check finwispering for how to and measuring methods.
    Alex,
    @Luzz just set my V Type to the setting you gave me. Let you know how it goes tonight!
    Luzz