The Muhlitner Scoring Incident

HortonHorton Posts: 23,532 Administrator
edited June 21 in Rules/Politics/Issues
If you followed this thread you know that most of us do not fill out any paper work when we tower judge and only some of us do so when we boat judge. I bring this all to light because the very first time I was ever the chief judge we had a bit of an issue.

Rob Muhlitner ran something at 38 off but somehow his score got into the computer as something at 35 off. For Rob the error was not consequential but it was still wrong. The chief scorer was @rico and he had a written record of the correct score and was able to correct the score for the standings list.

The lesson from this error is that it is very easy to make an error and the more written backup we have the better. Because most of us do not take notes we do not have any backup. Perhaps all of us that judge an should think about filling out the paperwork next time we judge.

Richelle “The RuleBook” Muhlitner also makes a good point when she asks “what happens of the scoring computer crashes?”

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Comments

• thagerthager Posts: 3,788 Mega Baller
    We could blame the " Hackers" then protest on major highways!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Hortonski6jones
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    @horton I think your poll results are not accurate. Although many judges may not keep a paper record. In almost all cases I see the event scorer is keeping a paper record.

In several tournaments I have been CJ we have had to correct a score in the computer just as you describe. I have not seen a case where the paper record by the score keeper was also wrong.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,532 Administrator
    edited June 21
    @thager your post is only remotely funny because Rob has nicknamed @Rico "The Russian". The nickname makes no sense because @Rico is French.

Now that I think about it, it does seem plausible that his wife who appears to be British could be a double agent for Putin and they're working on a secret conspiracy to lower Rob's scores.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

thagerMSBulldog
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,532 Administrator
    edited June 21
    back on topic

I was just reminded to ask the question " what about scorers who don't write everything down?"

• KrleeKrlee Posts: 462 Baller
    When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about someone letting Rob score a tournament? Only rule I know for Rob is don't let him have a radio in the tower!
    RichardDoaneHortonDirtbishop8950
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 874 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @skierjp great call on ZBS. I bet the number of communication/scoring issues is higher while we all get used to that.
    Horton
  • DragoDrago Posts: 841 Crazy Baller
    But we did it with kids last year. Just charge your radios.
  • matthewbrownmatthewbrown Posts: 305 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @horton when one deals with Muhlitner in regards to anything at all, notes should never be taken.
    DirtHortonDrago