The Interpretation/Implementation of staying connected after the second wake

mlangemlange Posts: 144 Baller
@Horton 's "What vs Why vs Interpretation/Implementation" post really hit home for me. I'm pretty bad at sensing what I'm doing - good or bad - so having different interpretations to try in order to accomplish the "what" really helps me.

So here's my current and biggest struggle. I free ski more than anything else and have created an awful habit of being narrow. I'm focusing right now on staying stacked past the second wake, but I'm still struggling to keep the handle in and stay connected as I cast out wider.

What things are you guys doing to "trick" yourself into doing this?

Mike
jetpilotg4

Comments

• IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 971 Crazy Baller
    I make sure that my arm that is pointed in the direction I'm going (right arm going to 1-3-5 and left arm going to 2-4-6) is attached to my jacket until I'm close to the buoy line. Just started doing this and it felt great and was putting me wider at the buoy
    andjulesESPNSkier
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,362 Mega Baller
    I find staying connected has more to do with what I did before I got to the wakes. If I make a gradual turn in and build angle into the wakes then I feel the handle all the way out to the buoy line and it seems to carry through the course. If I start my turn in to gates too late and turn in and load early then I get pulled up through the wakes. No amount of handle control seems to correct poor gates for me.
    wtrskiorbassfooter
  • mlangemlange Posts: 144 Baller
    I like @Ilivetoski 's suggestion. That's the kind of "trick" I need to get my body to do what I want and know it should be doing.

I am at 32-off @AdamCord so, yeah, I get punished when I'm not doing some of the right things. The problem I *think* I have is that I'm simply beginning my turn too early and have been doing it for so long that it's become muscle memory. I need something to break out of that bad pattern and cast out further.

It's been frustrating because this should be such an easy thing to fix.
    andjules
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 573 Crazy Baller
    are you crossing the wakes with your shoulders open to the boat? That's what usually pulls me narrow. Trying to work on the same thing this summer.
    jcampgregy
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,807
    Does a Victoria's Secret model count?
    Shane "Crash" Hill

skidawg
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,790 Mega Baller
    Only if sober and not by the side of the road.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    skidawgAndre
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 536 Crazy Baller
    @BoneHead Yes, but only to 10. Maybe higher if she can borrow someone else fingers and toes.
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,807
    @daved I'm not gonna lie, this one might have needed help getting to 10.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Andre
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    10 on the entertainment scale!
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,412 Mega Baller
    This thread has gone completely off the rails - but it is Friday I guess.
    Jim Ross
  • AndreAndre Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    (Pissing in my pants reading this threadjack!)
  • gmutgmut Posts: 191 Baller
    try to keep your elbows pinned to your vest through the wakes and into the edge change.
    HortonlkbMISkier
    Go back to the handle path. You can either (a) pull on the handle, (b) let the line go loose, or (c) you can let the boat pull you. If you make sure you keep the boat pulling you, then you have handle pressure, you will be wide and early, and your line will be tight.
    Jim Ross
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,547 Administrator
    edited June 24
    @Razorskier1 I feel like you're teasing a nugget of wisdom.

Are you saying A) bad B ) bad C) good ?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

@horton - winner winner chicken dinner!
    Jim Ross
  • mlangemlange Posts: 144 Baller
    I think @Horton's and @Ilivetoski's ideas worked the best for me this weekend. Forcing myself to keep my outside elbow in tight helped me a bit, but it's definitely note a natural feeling for me yet. I'm going to keep working on this and see if it's my silver bullet.

Thx guys
  • ESPNSkierESPNSkier Posts: 117 Baller
    Thanks @Horton! I know that your comment about squeezing the handle with your outside hand was meant for skiers waaaaay better than me but I have been really struggling to get back on track this spring so I tried it today. I ran a couple of clean openers and then ran 22 off back-to-back for the first time since last year! I was really struggling with getting pulled up off edge at the wakes and somehow this plus a more progressive approach into the gates helped me to stay in my lean a bit better. Or perhaps it was good to just focus on one thing and not 5 or 6 every pass. Either way I appreciate the tip even if it wasn't meant for skiers at my level....thanks!
    [Deleted User]Skoot1123
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,547 Administrator
    @ESPNSkier hey man it is as important at 22 or 28 as it is at 38

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Ralph LeeSkoot1123
  • ESPNSkierESPNSkier Posts: 117 Baller
    Thanks again, hopefully I'll give it a try at 28- tomorrow!
  • DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 341 Baller
    edited June 27
    Not to hijack this thread, but I skied for the first time this year a couple weeks ago, and I'm finding myself using good stack only when I need too if that makes any sense. This was the first time I skied since last august which was a coach session with Breanne Dodd, I remembered and applied everything she said and in all honesty I exceeded my own expectations, I found that I was super early, but not excessively wide throughout the whole set. Was nice and wide on the gates skiing 15 off @32mph. So how do I force myself to maintain that stack all the time more so then when I need to? Also made a binding change and felt better then I have in 5 years on my previous setup.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Horton
    Please include accompanying SI Swimsuit pic with any further thoughts you may have regarding this issue. (I learn more from pictures than words)
    Thank you
    dchristmankeithh2oskierBruce_Butterfield
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,770 Mega Baller
    Talk about hips and stack probabilities all you want, but if you drink more beer, the probability of getting a girl who looks like a SI swimsuit model goes up tremendously....
    [Deleted User]keithh2oskierAndre
    After edge change I am just trying to be a weight at the end of the line, using my direction and speed to keep the line tight. I think sometimes people talk about keeping handle pressure and they think they need to PULL after the center line. No. After center line you should feel the pull of the boat, and keep your handle close, but you should not be actively pulling.
    Jim Ross
    MISkierdropski
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 646 Crazy Baller
    @matthewbrown can you clarify "more tangent my shoulders are to the load"? Do you mean a line through your shoulders is tangent (perpendicular) to the load?
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • matthewbrownmatthewbrown Posts: 305 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @ski6jones Yes, the more square my shoulders are to the load the more balance I have. If I decrease my shoulder width by twisting slightly, I have taken away from my ability to be completely balanced. Again, we are not talking about the amount of lean I have away from the boat or the amount of pressure I have in my lead arm, only that my shoulders should ideally remain tangent to the load. How much of a difference does it really make? I think like anything else, the better you can become at the fundamentals, the better you will ski.
    ski6jonesRazorRoss3ALPJr