Nationals qualifications

IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 971 Crazy Baller
Does anyone know exactly what the rule is for qualifying for nationals? I called USAWS to ask and couldn't get a coherent answer... Is it still level 8? Was there a rule change last year that said if you have a level 8 ranking at least 12 months in advance of the nationals then you qualify? Or do you have to be level 8 at the cut off date? I was kind of amazed that USAWS spent 20 mins on the phone with me looking up the answer to this in the rule book and pretty much gave me an "I'm not sure" answer

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 244 USAWS Official
    Level 8 as of the cutoff date which is July 13th. There are other ways to qualify both before and mainly after but the major qualification status of which you are looking for is still the same L8 at July 13th.
    AWSA President
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    @OB1 the Southern region determined whether State tournament placement is an entry to Regionals. I don't know what the policy is but it'll be in the regional guide or region website.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    [Deleted User]
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    @OB1 generally regionals qualifications are different from region to region. I think you need to contact someone in the region to ask that question.
    Mark Shaffer
  • DragoDrago Posts: 841 Crazy Baller
    @OB1 looks like level 5, = 2.7 buoys total at the moment .
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,900 Crazy Baller
    @OB1 , I quote directly from the SR tournament guide, "The first place event winning skiers, without regard to their Ranking Level and who scored in their events at their respective current year's state tournament, shall be allowed to ski that event at the Southern Regional Tournament." So if he's the only B1 skier in GA, all he has to do is score one buoy and he's in.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    mbabiashMattPBill22
    @Ilivetoski if you're in reference to your qualification, here's the scenario. You currently have an average of 94, however you will lose your top five scores prior to the cutoff date. It gets a little too complicated to explain here if you do get scores, since we could only speculate what they may be, but if you receive no other scores prior to the cutoff date your top two scores would be used because your next score would "do harm" to your average. So, the system will take those top two, average them and deduct 5%, leaving you with an average of 88.11. So, you need a score of 85 prior to July 13 to keep you in level 8.
    What @Jody_Seal said is good. Based on the previous scenario, due to inadequate water time, living somewhere that skiing conditions are erratic for the first 2 months of the season, you end up not getting up to snuff until close to cutoff date. Then you either cancel the arrangements you already made, or scramble to make said arrangements. Of course some skiers are well above cutoff, and good for you, but many are on the borderline and really want to go.
    Dirt
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 795 Crazy Baller
    Jody for President! Jody for President! Jody for President! whooohoooo
    Bruce_Butterfield
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Dirt. That would be far too simple....
    Jody_Sealski6jonesHortonBroussard
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 944 Crazy Baller
    Or do it like the Jr US Open. Pick the number of skiers you want in each division/event and let the highest rated skiers in until you reach that number. If you don't get that number of entries in a particular division/event, expand the other divisions to make up the difference.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    MarkTimmski6jonesdthateTexas6
  • MarkTimmMarkTimm Posts: 83 Baller
    As of right now I am at level 8. It has been a long time goal to qualify for and ski in the nationals. So here I am just above the current cut off, do I book the trip and make the plans knowing the number could change and I could fall back to level 7.
    Mark Timm
  • WishWish Posts: 6,744 Mega Baller
    @MrJones for President and @Kalvin for VP. And @Dirt can be @MrJones arm candy...his idea was good too.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    @dirt I thought I netted it out to a rather simple answer for @Ilivetoski. He needs to run a couple of buoys at 28 off and he's in. But I do see your point. It is more complicated than an EP.
    Onside135
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,435 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @LeonL your explanation was good, as usual. The moving target is the problem.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    [Deleted User]Bruce_ButterfieldMattP
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    Why not just make it January 1st? That is the same effective date for the age group you would be in for that Nationals. Then, your scores from the post-season of the previous Nationals will either get you there or give you an idea of whether you will get there with enough notice to plan to attend.

For those that continue to shoot for LCQ, they already know they are in that boat (so to speak) and are making their decisions based on their understanding of their chances to qualify and their related desire to do so.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    [Deleted User]
    edited June 28
    @MISkier Jan 1 is not really the effective date for age groups. It is the age that you are on that date that determines age group for that season, however the season starts the day after Nationals possibly before your birthday. Now, I may have misread your intended point. If so, as Emily Latella would say "Never mind."
    tdusin
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    @LeonL, I realize you already start skiing in the next age division after Nationals, should you be forecasted to achieve that minimum age by January 1. I was just aligning the calculation of the COA with that date to link them and allow post-Nationals scoring to be applied in the calculation. It would potentially allow the post-Nationals scores of those new divisional members to possibly be included in the distribution, whereas just setting the COA the day after Nationals would not.

Some of my best skiing occurs in late August and September. It seems that including those scores would help the calculation be more accurate/representative.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • scokescoke Posts: 617 Baller
    January 1 would be clean simple cutoff date. As miskier mentioned and others, It could work well:
    • Skiers age into their divisions on August 14th. MANY tournaments for next years divisions from August until November when tournaments shut down. Heck, half the ski year has gone by with plenty of all of our best scores in the books

• Everyone knows in the dead of the winter where they stand and what the cut line is. No pickle surprises.

• If our goal is to have more families involved in tournament skiing, give them as much time in advance of "are we going to nationals as a family?? YEEEHAW" feeling all spring. Gives plenty of time for vacation planning, summer school, getting off work.

• Everyone can stew all spring when the wind is blowing and it's cold "I've got to ski as I know exactly at what level I have to perform."

Personally, as a former single guy scheduling to attend nationals at the last minute was no big deal but with now that I have a wife 2.5 kids, 2 cats, a turtle and a demanding boss, I can't imagine trying to schedule that only 6 weeks in advance.

I vote for a Jan 1 cut line. This could increase overall participation in nationals and more family involvement for a vacation.

The more I think of it, the more it doesn't make sense to have it very LATE in the year. If you have the LCQ scoring, that gives an outlet for people to bump up into it as well and push those averages.

• Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,150 Mega Baller
    edited June 28
    So Jeff what is the problem with having an EP style alternative avenue for national qualification that allows skiers and family's to make decisions and plan ahead sooner then 30 day's from the big show?
    let's just continue down the path of hardship and not take a realistic approach at scenarios that would bring skiers into the game.

Still no Board packet! Southern region State's meetings less then 10 day's away. Going to be another year with ambush type of leadership I see!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

MattPBoneHeadskosney
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,035 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    I loved the old EP system. It worked.

I was totally against the ranking list way. But I took advantage of it probably more than any other skier. We live with the rules in play.

Will an EP system get more skiers at a higher level to Nationals? I doubt it but I doubt it would hurt either. A couple people will be able to plan ahead (good! ) and a couple will not be as excited about the ranking list.

Either way, people will gripe. Not me, either way. The last change wasn't magic either way. I doubt any change now will cause or solve a crisis.

@JeffSurdej thanks for listening and trying. Sorry for a wishy washy response.

Eric
  • TriplettTriplett Posts: 205 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I like the idea presented on this thread. I think the floating cut-offs are a little weird, I originally achieved my OM rating due to the floating cut-off. I believe there is an upside to the way we are doing this now, tournament participation. With the old system I could ski 1 or 2 tournaments, get my EP, then never show up to another tournament until the regional. I could even ski my EP at nationals and only ski in two tournaments during the entire ski year, the regional and national. Right now it encourages you to ski at minimum 2 tournaments after nationals to qualify.

In short, current system probably helps participation of local events. Should we qualify more people for nationals, yes. Is there a better way, probably. Do I know what that is, no. Do I think L8 needs to attend regionals, no.
    Brent Triplett - Michigan
    tdusin
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I'm really out of this. I thought that my score/placement at nationals last year would have gotten me in this year.