My son skied, happy dad!

scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,659
edited June 26 in Videos & Photos
Yesterday was the day my eight year old son Marcus said he was ready to ski after taking 5 years off, he learned to ski on a EZ Ski inflatable trainer when he was three but that is more like a tube than a ski. Best day of the year so far for me!

- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- USI Tech pays for my water ski addiction
lundbergkeithh2oskierRpc29Bruce_ButterfieldKeith MenardDaveD[Deleted User]gt2003UWSkierJordanbigskieridahojjackkrashDmaxJC_skiBulldogMZitoBill22MattPRivvyskihartozskiRalph Leerockdogh2o.nhkbf`bishop8950Chef23Greg BanishjimbrakeMuskokaKyschaferChad_ScottSkoot1123Monkstr6100mjnelson

Comments

• escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 417 Crazy Baller
    I love it!!!!! My 8 year old got up on a wakeboard and rode the length of the course for the first time a couple weeks ago. Now I have bought some skis and we will see if he's ready for that too. Fingers Crossed!!
    scotchipmanDaveDMuskokaKy
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 376 Solid Baller
    The whole video was awesome, but for some reason I really got a kick out of the "I'm done" head tap at the end! Great work teaching the fundamentals.
    scotchipmanescmanazeMuskokaKy
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 656 Crazy Baller
    My oldest took a lap around the lake on the ski platform trainer, then never wanted to do it again. She's already brainwashed the younger one to never try it. More time for mom and dad to ski, I figure. One of these days they'll come around.
    scotchipmanbishop8950
  • epnaultepnault Posts: 125 Baller
    Awesome!!! My son started to reluctantly ski the course and it came fairly easy to him last year at age 14. This season he got a PB off the dock the first week of June without hardly trying on his first attempt. Meanwhile I started skiing the first week of April after ice out. After watching him charging hard the past couple of weeks I decided that I needed to get him a safer binding. I mounted a Reflex on his front foot last Saturday. He complained that he couldn't ski on his first pass and then he kept trying and out skied me for the first time. Granted I was a bit tired and beat up after a week long international business trip but it still made me smile. :smiley:
    escmanazescotchipman
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 437 Solid Baller
    I remember it well myself @scotchipman. It's a great day when they decide that today is the day!
    All my friends and family were happy for my daughter, but I think they may have even been happier for me knowing how I felt about the whole situation. Got mine up at 7 on a single then into the course after about 5 skis at her wish, she's been watching us for years so I think she thought this is the next phase. She's probably only skied 10 times I reckon..

@ozski that's not your boat, Woodford?

ozskih2o.nhkMuskokaKyscotchipman
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    Congrats, @scotchipman ! Many more "best days" to come! You will enjoy the first time up on slalom, the first successful pass, etc.

My most recent "best day" was when my son was able to drive me for a slalom set. I remember the first time my son and I went out to the lake, just the two of us. Training partners - father and son!
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    scotchipmanrockdog
    My son learned to drive this year too. So nice to have him fully engaged.
    scotchipmanUWSkier
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,659
    Any suggestions on how many days I keep him on two before I attempt to get him up on a slalom ski?
    I got some experience with this. Start working right away after you see he has confidence being pulled. With these little guys I actually think it is easier for them to go on one. With 2 they have to fight each skis wake and balance. When I taught my boys we also just did deep water starts with both feet in one ski and go really slow. Make sure you have a nice fat ski. The drop a ski approach didn't work for us. I think my boys only skied on 2 skies a few times before we just jumped into a one ski.
    scotchipman
    edited June 27
    I would say it is more of a matter of his desire to do it. I've had skiers spend only 1 set on 2 skis and then immediately jump to slalom. Clearly they had great balance and athleticism.

Is he skiing without the connecting bar, yet? If not, then that comes next.

If he appears calmly confident, can cut and control the skis, then he should try the skier's salute to see if he can manage standing on 1 ski. Speed the boat up about 2-4 MPH when he tries this just to ensure he has support for being on 1 ski.

If you have access to a boom, use it! Success builds confidence. Booms are great tools to learn the feel for riding on 1 ski before having to learn how to get up on 1 ski.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    Thanks @epnault and @ToddL I took the connecting bar off and replaced with a rope for his third and fourth time up. Will remove the connecting rope next, will feel him out and see when he wants to try one. I do have access to a boom.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,046 Mega Baller
    @scotchipman I recommend keeping him on 2 skis until he can run the slalom course at 18mph long line. Seriously. He will learn balance, edging, getting wide and early much faster on 2 skis than 1.
    The main idea is where do you want him to be in 2-5 years as opposed to getting up on slalom next week.
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    ToddLscotchipman
    edited June 27
    edited June 27
    +1 to running the course on 2 skis. Heck, even do the "mini" course once he can cross both wakes and can cut pretty confidently. The mini course will challenge little skiers to have a fast pace from side to side without all of the width and potential to dip the rope in the water during turns. Also, it may be easier at -15 or even -22 to keep the rope out of the water.

If your lake doesn't have the narrow "mini" buoys, simply have the driver split the difference between 1-3-5 side and the boat guides. Use the boat guides as skier turn buoys for 2-4-6 turns. After rounding "6" ball, just have the skier return to the center behind the boat. When you head back the other way, you will be on the other side of the lake, still using 1-3-5 turn buoys and boat guides for 2-4-6.
    [Deleted User]
    edited June 27
    I'm not a believer in the minicourse. Its much better to slow the boat down (10mph for kids), use properly sized skis (big) and use the full course at long line.

The mini course does not teach anything about lean (edging on 2), body position or angle. IMO the minicourse does little more than teach bad habits at too fast a speed.
    thager
    I do have a light weight kids rope for him use, forgot to use it on his first time out. Good idea on getting him to run the course on two skis first before I get him on one.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,844 Mega Baller
    I would leave him on 2 skis for a while until he is asking to move to one. I did use the mini course with my kids but we shortened the rope. I think my kids were running the mini course at 32 off then we went to the full course at a slower speed.

I never thought about running the course on two but it is a good idea.
    Mark Shaffer