Reflex release padding / cover

ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 745 Crazy Baller
My daughter uses a Reflex for trick skiing. Her shin gets cut from the Reflex release mechanism. I thought for sure I've seen someone have a padded cover from Reflex for this very purpose, but I can't seem to find it online. Any thoughts or ideas here?
Anthony Warren
Tagged:

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,959 Mega Baller
    I have seen people cut a hole in a tennis ball and put it over the release. Or a coozie taped on/ rubberband. Pool noodle works too.

Are you sure it is from the release? She could be kicking her shin with the heal block on the boot when releasing.
    ScarletArrowrockdog
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 267 Solid Baller
    Usually from the heel block. Use a soccer shin guard.
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    ScarletArrow
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,622 Administrator
    @ScarletArrow I have seen the cover and just searched the intertubes. I can not find it either. Someone will know....

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 745 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2017
    It definitely comes from the release mechanism and occurs when she is standing on the ski. She doesn't fall much and when she does they are usually not hard enough to require release.

Edit... Looks like it was called an "Eva Release Cover" . Here's a pic.

Edit x2... Started calling Reflex dealers and Miami Ski Nautiques had some in stock. Put in order #fingerscrossed.
    Anthony Warren
  • SivotaSivota Posts: 85 Baller

Sorry, I can't find the link button but go to Reflex Skis UK and look under soft goods
  • SivotaSivota Posts: 85 Baller

ScarletArrowBlueSki
  • OKSkierOKSkier Posts: 102 Baller
    @DaveLemons is totally right - it comes from the heel block on the back of the boot.Not the release mechanism
    ScarletArrow
  • OKSkierOKSkier Posts: 102 Baller
    Soccer shin guard solves the problem
    ScarletArrow
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 989 Mega Baller
    @ScarletArrow Despite the frequent insistence from many here that it's the heel block inflicting the pain, I believe you. I am a smaller person who has scars from numerous contacts with the release mechanism when no release occurred. I have never kicked myself with the heel block on a release, either.

I had one of those release covers, lost it, and don't miss it. It was minimally effective. Either a do-it-yourself cover with more padding or shin guard with some hard plastic to distribute the impact would be better.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    ScarletArrow
  • skialexskialex Posts: 647 Crazy Baller
    It's easy to loose the release cover and it keeps the moisture in the release, shin guard is the best solution.
    ScarletArrow
  • ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 745 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2017
    When you say "heel block" do you mean the plastic block on the back of the front shell that the release mechanism locks onto (see pic)?

If she were releasing from frequent falls (either slalom or trick), then it would seem logical, but she hardly falls and releases even less.

This past week, while vacationing at a lake, she took a very long open water trick set with maybe one release. When she got back into the boat she complained of the "cut" on her shin from the binding and showed me on the platform. I guess one is all it takes??

Totally agree with the shin guard solution - I've seen others wear that too.

Where's @eleeski !? There's a legit trick ski conversation going on and no input from him?
    ;)

Anthony Warren
  • MattLMattL Posts: 38 Baller
    I bought a release cover at the 2014 nationals and got it to protect myself from releases also, however I have found that most of the time it is the heel of the front boot that hits me, not the release mechanism. You'd probably be better off with a shin guard.
    ScarletArrow
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 470 Baller
    I was always thinking that this neocap is for transportation only
    MattL
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,322 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Most trick falls that whack your shin are pre releases. Make sure you have a high enough setting so that releases are rare. It's not like slalom for injuries. The twisting slipping falls that tweak things won't release no matter what. The quick edge catch falls will release you immediately - or rip the binding out of the ski. Your legs should be strong enough to handle this.

Shin guards work OK but they were a pain to keep properly in place. Use them while you are learning that flip but eventually you can lose the shin guard.

There's no reason to not pad the Silveretta clip. If you can't buy a factory one, duct tape some padding to it. Everything helps.

I chewed up my shin learning the flip even without a Reflex binding. No heel block to hit. I hit the edge of my ski. My edges are blunter than most skis but still got me. Staying in is safer especially with the sharp edge skis that are popular.

I added more Gatorade lids to up the retention. No more injuries but I break a lot more boots. Expensive but worthy trade. I'm working on a new binding design...

Eric

@ScarletArrow Life's busy....
    @ScarletArrow if that's your daughter in the picture, she look a little small to be using the Reflex. The impact would probably be around her knee. :)
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    eleeskiMattL
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,959 Mega Baller
    Aha! I thought that picture looked familiar.
    Is it time to ski, yet?