How does Nate run 41 and hardly anyone else does?

lhooverlhoover Posts: 147 Baller
Watching the Italian tourney this weekend, I'm sure you noticed that a bunch of the men (and a few women!) ran 39. Some looked pretty good, but most everyone struggled to get through it. Then at 41, it was as if beginners were in the course....except for Nate. What is so different? Are you telling me he has better technique? Better turns? Better gate? What is it? Do we remember that less than 10 yrs ago this was a pass considered impossible? Whatever it is, what a sight to behold that he runs that all but impossible pass a lot more than he doesn't.
RPTAndreToddA

Comments

• MickeyThompsonMickeyThompson Posts: 102 Baller
    I was told he has run more tournament -41(by a wide margin) than all other competitors combined.
    elr
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,620 Mega Baller
    Here's what I think I see:
    1) Subtly gifted athleticism. He makes tiny but perfect adjustments when things go awry.
    2) Incredibly efficient technique, always maximizing what the ski can do for him. The more I study with the Denali Adams, the more I am able to see the myriad of tiny ways that he works with the physics, rather than against it. (But obviously, one can't do that without first having #1!)
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Ralph LeeGWaterskiRPT
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,362 Mega Baller
    Nate never got the note about 41 being impossible. Seems like to me he goes out and ski's it the same way he skis other passes and keeps with the fundamentals.
    RPT
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 971 Crazy Baller
    There was an interview with Nate and he said at one point he had run 41 something like 8 record rounds in a row. He said 41 was just coming to him from confidence
  • WishWish Posts: 6,747 Mega Baller
    What @Than_Bogan said. The differences between him and others stands out so much more for me now. Heard a story that when Nate feels he's in a slump, he watches Brook Baldwin ski. She has similar subtleties.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 292 Baller
    I got some coaching from Nate several years ago and what struck me was his overall personal confidence and the simplicity of his skiing. Nothing fancy - just be in the right place at the right time with the right body position. Very casual confidence.

Right after I skied the organizer of the clinic told him the next participant was running late. Did he want to ski? He was ready and in the water about 2 minutes later. No long prep time etc. just ready to go. Ran right up the line to mid 41 (didn't run it that time). His 39 looked like most people's 28.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
    RazorRoss3jipster43
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    1. As Bruce said, he figured out how to run it.
    2. He has done it enough that he is confident in his ability to do so.
    3. He doesn't have that panic moment most of us have on our hardest pass to screw himself up.

Not a technical view. Just the mental side IMHO.
    Bill22ski6jones
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 573 Crazy Baller
    He's made of rubber and magic
    aupatkingFam-manOne_Ski
  • gmutgmut Posts: 191 Baller
    pop tarts stock just rose 4%.........ha ha!
    Than_BoganMuskokaKy
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Nate does what others talk about doing or try to do. Execution, confidence, etc.
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,547 Administrator
    Nate is an alien

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Bulldog
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,902 Crazy Baller
    @lakeaustinskier my impressions are that Nate just likes to ski. I know he's young, so this is a relatively stupid comment, but he's just like a kid. He has fun while still being a pro. That why he was ready to ski at the drop of a hat.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Seems like he works the least off the water in terms of conditioning if any. That must drive the other pros nuts.
    DavidN
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,701 Mega Baller
    @MrJones "3. He doesn't have that panic moment most of us have on our hardest pass to screw himself up. "

He kind of does... It's just that 41 off isn't his hardest pass.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    Than_BoganRPT
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,377
    I was talking to a good friend about Nate and I think he nailed it when he said "yeah some dudes can just ski"

Right now the planets have lined up for him in terms of equipment, opportunity, ability, genetics and skiing genius. Why is one person smarter than the person next to them? because they just are.. His dominance my never be matched, if any of the current crop of skiers could reverse engineer him then it would have happened by now. In skiing terms he's still a kid so unless he breaks in half pretty much every event is his to lose for a long time to come. Right now he's the second most dominant water skier going around behind Jacinta Carrol with 32 pro event wins in a row... :)
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

Chad_ScottskihartRalph LeeESPNSkierrockdogRazorskier1
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,054 Crazy Baller
    I just want to watch him ski in person some time.
    KillerdvskierRalph LeeMuskokaKyRPT
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,470 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    He's got mad skills remember that video of him farting around on a barefoot boom from a few years back? My guess is if he wanted to and dedicated some time he could probably trick really well, too.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    KillerObrienslalom
  • dbskidbski Posts: 167 Crazy Baller
    edited July 11
    Everyone needs to see Nate ski in person. As easy as his passes look on a screen it's even more impressive live! Get to the Malibu Open this year! You can not only marvel over Nate and all the other incredible pros but stroll over to my booth and check out DBski.
    Rick Bohn
    sunvalleylawSkoot1123UWSkier
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 425 Solid Baller
    1) Talent
    2) Light weight = faster acceleration and deceleration?
    Deanoski
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 683 Solid Baller
    edited July 11
    For sure talent. Light weight.

And maybe a round tail ski with soft bevels is another part of it
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,377
    @Wish his setup and particularly his boot makes the job of getting into that position that much easier. Just riding around on a T-factor boot I've noticed the water is breaking much further forward than my previous setup which tells me a lot. Unless something has changed Nate also runs a pretty shallow long fin setup which helps the ski to run free and flatter.... @skijay may have some more insight on the subject.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

Wish
    @ozski thanks to a great friend I just aquired a Reflex R style for that very reason. Crossing fingers that it works better then moving to a toe kick...that did not go well from being a double booter.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,152 Mega Baller
    Though they're all very good, I don't think there's anything special about Nate's bindings, ski or setup. How he moves inbound, on the other hand, is brilliant!
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
    Wish6ballsThan_Boganbishop8950
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,412 Mega Baller
    um, he's just better than us! Seriously, he is. For example, for the last few seasons I've been about 50% at 38 off, but close to 100% at 35 off. Why? Because even when I screw up at 35, I feel confident that I know what I need to do to get where I need to be to turn the next ball. At 38, I can get away with some mistakes too, but they are more difficult for me to recover from (mostly because I don't believe it!). Anyway, point is for Nate that confident line length is 41 off. All of us have a line where we are confident, and the next one not so much. Nate is just way better than me, so his confident line is 41, not 35.
    Jim Ross
    Than_BoganRalph Lee
  • lhooverlhoover Posts: 147 Baller
    Better hair!
    Wish