How does Nate run 41 and hardly anyone else does?

2»

Comments

• GarGar Posts: 311 Baller
    Agree with Horton he's alien. He's early and looks wide as well on the 1/4 speed video wish I could be that way at 35 off!
  • MSMS Posts: 5,157 Mega Baller
    Vision. What he sees out in front of him and how/when he reacts. All of the top skiers can ski, its just how they react to what they see is what separates them.
    Shut up and ski
    Wish
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,143 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    To me, what Nate does differently is that he bends sideways at the waist in a way that allows the ski to be tipped on a steeper angle while keeping his upper body free of the spray. This allows him to complete his turn and hook up exceptionally early after the ball. He gets from the ball to the wakes faster than anybody else.

Warning, this technique only works if you are made of rubber and happen to be the best skier in the world!
    6ballsGWaterski
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,787 Mega Baller
    Also, he is comfortable and handles higher speed coming into the buoy better than anyone else. Mere mortals freak if taking that much speed into the turn. Nate seems to crave and exploits it to make a better turn with earlier, smoother hookup to the next wake crossing. Speed is his friend.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • matthewbrownmatthewbrown Posts: 408 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @wish your comments should of ended with a mic drop, and a close out of this thread, spot on.
    WishThan_Bogan
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,039 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @jordan agree and as a result of putting a lot of edge in the water without his shoulders way down is that he remains more upright, picks up the load NOT having dug himself a hole so he goes from fast to faster rather than slow to fast...the boat can just accelerate him. So crazy efficient....
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Than_BoganJordan
  • ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 413 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @MS you're spot on with vision, if you watch Nates eyes, he's looking across to the next buoy earlier than most guys. That is huge!
    MS
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,205 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Going slightly further, but related to vision, is perception. Human reaction time is more or less fixed (somewhere around 250 milliseconds if I recall from college), so Nate, like other pro athletes, must perceive a pass differently than us mortals. I'd bet he perceives a -39 pass at the same speed I'd perceive -22. It's like how Aaron Rodgers can read a defense, go through all the progressions and find the open receiver in under 3 seconds. A normal guy could barely handle the snap. Again, it's not the reaction time, it's the sport being perceived as very slow.
    Scott Calderwood
    WishGloersenRalph Lee
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 943 Mega Baller
    He's Neo on a ski.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    swc5150ozskiRalph LeeTexas6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file