Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tumacs boat cover is AWESOME

HortonHorton Posts: 25,181 Administrator
edited July 2017 in Boat Talk
This year, my backup boat ( @Rico's boat ) has to be moved out of the garage so I need the best cover I can find. That is why I contacted Skip Dunlap. He sells covers made by Tumacs. So how much difference can there be? A boat cover is a boat cover, right? In this case, the answer is no. The cover that Skip sent protects the boat better than any I have seen in the past.

As you can see in the photos the cover comes all the way down the sides of the boat. When I get ready for long term outdoor storage I will just need to add some bungees.

The material is also different from what I have seen before. It is a coated canvas called Aqualon . I suspect it is coated for durability and better protection but what I love about it is how easy it is to keep clean. Honestly, my boat covers are always filthy with dust and bird droppings. With the Tumacs cover all I have to do is squirt it with a hose and it looks like new.

One other feature that is worth mentioning is that the ratchet strap goes all the way around the perimeter of the cover including the swim step. When you crank this thing down your boat is really all sealed up.

Give Skip a call
863-605-0340

The Video

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Tagged:
MattPsunvalleylawski6jonesshansen345MuskokaKyScottScottkstateskier

Comments

• WishWish Posts: 7,223 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Price?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 776 Crazy Baller
    skiboatcovers.com offers a waterline cover that looks just like that. Also a great cover. Not sure they offer that material though.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 152 Baller
    Looks like a vinyl coated fabric - I assume it does not breathe like Sunbrella - might work ok in dry desert climate, but how about in damp regions that produce condensation?
    Matt
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,181 Administrator
    @wawaskr Skip is based in Florida so I have to assume that the material works in the humidity.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

@wish IDK

call Skip 863-605-0340

• acmxacmx Posts: 222 Baller
    I have a Tumacs cover exactly like the one pictured, one summers use under covered boat lift. Fits 2002 and up Nautique 196. Sold 196 so don't need cover, will let go for $375 pm me if interested.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,217 Crazy Baller
    I've been telling you guys about Skip and the covers he sells from Tumacs.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • storm34storm34 Posts: 54 Baller
    +1 for Aqualon. It doesn't breathe well but with vented pole mounts it's great. We have one for our 01 SN from Angola Canvas and had a custom cover made for the Chris Craft.

Low maintenance and great protection. What else can a guy ask for in life?

I had a ski buddy cover my boat the other day. Next time I saw him he was like "Now I understand how great that cover is"

skierjp
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,994 Mega Baller
    They look ok for mooring, but you can't actually tow with that, can you? Looks like a whole lot of slack.
    @OB1 the commercial sewing covers that Malibu uses come in light grey, my 2012 has one. No idea why anyone orders black any more.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    edited August 2017
    @Mark_Matis yup. Thus why I am wondering why when light gray (vented) is a factory option towable cover from commercial sewing (Malibu, nautique and maybe MC?) - why anyone buys black any more. The 04 LXI in the picture has an old school factory black canvas cover - but doesn't suffer from the newer Malibu vinyl discoloration. Side note, that water sucks doesn't it (Lake vermillion if you can believe that) ;) And I chose to ski it behind the boat on the right.

Chuck P
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 431 Solid Baller
    Skip will go the extra mile for you. Super person.
    Horton
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 700 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ball park figure on price?
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,124 Mega Baller
    I believe the price is under $500.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 828 Crazy Baller
    @Horton can you trailer with it? That is the main thing for me. My Malibu cover discolors my vinyl in the heat. Would like something new.
    @bigskieridaho I really do not think you should trailer with ANY cover.

jayskiPat M
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 828 Crazy Baller
    @Horton agree. But I have no choice in Idaho with unpredictable weather sometimes and going down some dirt roads I don’t want dust and rain in my boat.
    @bigskieridaho The commercial sewing covers trailer fine at 75MPH. Is your Malibu cover black? Better off with their gray covers, that is what I use.
    Chuck P
    Horton
    @oldjeep I've seen pretty substantial gelcoat damage from the best tight fitting covers. Having spoken to the manufacturers about it no one has ever recommended to me trailering with a cover.

@Horton - when you are going 2-6 hours on the interstate you appreciate a cover so that the boat is not all full of junk when you get to your destination. Never had any damage, but when I am going on a long trip I run a layer of shrink wrap around the rub rail so that the cover never touches the gel.
    Chuck P
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,941 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited December 2017
    @Horton How heavy is this cover? I kept the factory delivery cover my Prostar was shipped in, which I'm sure you're familiar with. I like that it covers the entire hull, but it's a heavy PITA to put on. And the OEM cover, as you also know, doesn't just roll on like a sock. This cover looks like the gem I'm looking for...full coverage and easy/fast to put on. Post a vid if you get one for your boat, as I'm really interested in getting one.
    Scott Calderwood
    It is pretty light and easy to put on but I tend to think the stock Factory covers are pretty easy to put on also

• BdeckerBdecker Posts: 241 Solid Baller
    Interested in one for my 05 Prostar- the factory cover is brutal on the rear sun pads. Does the Tumacs solve the color transfer issue when up against vinyl?
  • mnewthmnewth Posts: 20 Baller
    @Bdecker I've had a Tumacs on my 04 Prostar for the past 6 months and haven't had any issues.
    Bdecker
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,217 Crazy Baller
    I've had the same Tumacs cover on my '08 196 since '08. No vinyl discoloration.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Bdecker
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 478 Crazy Baller
    The Tumacs do look impressive almost look more like a 'storage cover'. I have never heard of or experienced discolored vinyl, is this something unique to Malibu's covers/seating?? The new factory covers that come with Nautiques and Carbon Pros are very impressive, well thought out, and they trailer great. MC also has nice covers but the last one I saw had two support posts so I wouldn't see that one trailering well.