Gas Gauge on new Prostars?

LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 135 Baller
edited July 21 in Boat Talk
Anyone else experiencing a faulty gas gauge reading on the new prostars ?
I've heard around the dock this is a common problem and not worth getting it looked at . First time I noticed it was on a public lake when we were camping . Boat was full when I brought it there. Read emptied the next morning then I thought someone had just siphoned it out from the public dock . Got the boat home and put it in our lake gas gauge went right up to full again . Now it seems to be running on empty right around a quarter tank reading. Last weekend on the Delta I had to be real careful . The labyrinth of sloughs in rivers with the pretty good current . I gave it about a three hour engine time before rushing to fill it up again . Put on about 10 hours on the motor and likely never ran out to empty.
At home it's not a big deal , however a bit worry some out on public water. Anyone know what the actual engine time per tank should be or gph. ?

Comments

• kurtkurt Posts: 73 Baller
    @LoopSki about 4 hrs on the hr meter
    billy's puddle swerving around the frogs
  • 94009400 Posts: 553 Solid Baller
    Mastercraft does seem to be gas gauge challenged.
  • ThomasAliveThomasAlive Posts: 33 Baller
    edited July 21
    We have two Prostars and both of them have gas gauge issues. Our 2017 having this issue is quite frustrating. We keep a journals in the glove box with the # of engine hours from last full tank :/
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 295 Solid Baller
    Are you able to view the gas tank? On our much older prostars or my nautique I can move one of the carpeted barriers and just peak at the gas tank. Always a nice quick way to check to see if you have fuel.
    Than_Bogan
  • ThomasAliveThomasAlive Posts: 33 Baller
    I'm not sure what our gallons per hour on the new Prostar is. We get around 3.2 - 3.6 gallons per hour on our older Prostar which has a 32 gallon tank. We slalom and trick, but mostly trick (please don't kick me off this forum).
    eleeskiandjules
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 135 Baller
    Unfortunately you can't see through the gas tank. The color of the plastic is too dark to see the level. At least with my eyes
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    I drove one in a tournament on Tuesday. Gauge read empty.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,413 Crazy Baller
    @jrs has a 16 that had this issue and I have a 16 that had the issue. It would read fine until somewhere under a half tank, it would show full again. John worked with Mastercraft on this and they changed some material in the pickup which seemed to fix the issue. Mine has been fine since the change and his was for a couple of Months at least. His is now back to showing full when it's not. Mine is still working correctly at this time.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    Mitzysman
    Sounds like it common issue and I'll just deal with. Love the boat so much I can overlook it. I'll just keep a mental log to keep track. 5 gals should run close to an hour.
  • skinutskinut Posts: 334 Baller
    Blows my mind that these are 70K boats and they can't figure out how to make a gas gauge work. Seriously, it's not rocket science.
    scotchipmankeithh2oskierandjules
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,377
    My 2005 196 gauge works perfectly as did the one on my 2003 LXi so my assumption was that this problem had been buried in the past.. I've been looking at the new Prostar so this is disappointing to hear. I hope there is a simple reliable fix.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

Mitzysman
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,512 Administrator
    Almost every boat I've ever used has some sort of gas gauge malfunction

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

AndrekurtMuskokaKy
    Well mine today did this today . Launched boat into our lake. Typical tournament waterski lake. Parked at my dock. Gauge read 1/4 tank. Added about 2 gallons. Upon boat restart , gauge went straight to full . Pulled one set and still reading full.
    Texas6
  • joel_fuel_sndr_mfrjoel_fuel_sndr_mfr Posts: 5 Baller
    LoopSki:

Was the original 1/4 reading believable?________ I ask because it will give me an idea of how close to the FD stinger the fuel was.

I remember from John's boat that the sender is viewable by looking under the cushion of one of the bench seats. Are you able to find the label date (mm/yy) or give me a photo of the label?_______. That will let me see whether the sender has the teflon jacket on the FD stinger.

Joel
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 326 Crazy Baller
    edited July 22
    @joel_fuel_sndr_mfr No offense, but this sounds like a terribly complicated and error prone solution to a really simple problem. If the science (and reliability / repeatability of the components) can't deliver a stable and reliable solution, then it is merely an engineer's wet dream. In today's world customers pay a lot of money and expect (rightfully so) for things to work correctly every time. If a solution is more complicated and costs more, that could be ok if the result is an improvement over a cheaper and less complicated solution. Cost / benefit analysis. It sounds to me like the customers perceived value does not support the complicated, unreliable solution, even if there was no increased cost over a simple float swinging on an arm attached to a mechanical variable resistor.
    bbrannanskibug
    Lol it does sound complex. I thought it was a stick with a float in there.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,359 Mega Baller
    I'm impressed with quick from Joel. BOS is awesome.
    RichardDoane
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,882 Crazy Baller
    We have a 2015, gas gauge sucks!! As an engineer, I agree with @skiinxs way too complicated. K.I.S.S. should be the applied principle. Also, some feedback to MC (and all the manufacturers) on the gas tanks....make them transparent enough to see the gas level visually or put a clear window in it somewhere.
    Bob Grizzi
    Andre
  • 94009400 Posts: 553 Solid Baller
    How about a sight tube that can be reasonably accessible?
    Andre
  • JordanJordan Posts: 841 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    And....I've never had a gas guage problem I a car....just sayin'
    Andre
  • joel_fuel_sndr_mfrjoel_fuel_sndr_mfr Posts: 5 Baller
    We've been building them since the late 1990s. And as I always say to folks, we sell tens of thousands a year, and are a small company, so if we were having many problems I'd never have time to email (or post).

My goal is to work with those having problems. The Shealy/LoopSki symptom would be to power up and get a false Full reading after having gotten a sensible reading of 1/2 or lower on the previous session. That's the false Full Detection, and we can trade you a sender with the modern teflon-jacketed FD wire if I can get a photo of the current sender's label and your address. On John's boat the sender could be accessed by lifting a passenger-side bench seat cushion. The sender's head looks like a hockey puck and there's a connector with red/wht/blk wires. Or if it's easier you can do it through Mastercraft. A surprise I found on John's boat-- when the tank is full the fuel is right up against the sender head, so you'd want to be down to say 3/4 tank or less.

Joel
  • JordanJordan Posts: 841 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    You could only fill the tank 3/4 full? That sounds like something went wrong in the design stage. Perhaps when Mastercraft had the tank designed or maybe it's just a bad interface between the design of the tank and the design of the sender.
    Surely there is a better solution than not being able to fill up .
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,412 Mega Baller
    They just don't work. I pour six gallons every time I ski. Every few sets I pour 12. Guage is useless
    Jim Ross
    Mick04dchristman
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 342 Baller
    I have been in many prostars over the years and every one has had multi has gauge issues. Even just after replacing them. It seems to be MC MO. I have had many Nautique's through out the years and I can't remember have a gas gauge issue.

Dave Macchi / Nautique promo team member
    Killer
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,512 Administrator
    @dave2ball spoken like an unbiased Nautique owner.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

bigskieridahoLoopSkiBulldogSkiwoodgateTonster17