Looking for an older boat

scorban2scorban2 Posts: 42 Baller
All,

I'm looking to pull the trigger on buying an actual ski boat. Looking at the 91-94 ProStars, but also came accross a 93 Malibu Echelon in my searches. 93 Malibu. I know the ProStars are great slalom boats, but does anyone have any experience with the early Echelons?

Also, I've also found references to the 91-94 prostars being a rougher ride than most in chop. While we try to avoid it, at times we cruise through some chop on the way to smooth parts of the river when the winds are right. Is the ride really that much worse on these boats than other ski boats of the era?

D3dude

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 21 Baller
    I have never owned an Echelon but had friend who did and skied with them. A nice ski boat from that era. If it's in good condition it would be a good choice.

I owned a 92 ProStar for several years and my wife is still disappointed I sold it. I recently skied behind my old boat and it is still a great slalom tug. The only thing it lacks is zero off and fuel injection. On the other hand Stargazer with z-box does a pretty good job of emulating zero-off and if you have to fix a fuel problem a carb is way cheaper than a fuel injection system.

• aupatkingaupatking Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    edited July 26
    I've got a 95 Ski Nautique for sale with a fuel injected GT40, cheap. Real cheap for a baller
    tdusinGlydon
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    I've got a 95 Ski Nautique for sale, with a fuel injected GT40, cheap to a baller
    Bill22
  • FSSPCatFSSPCat Posts: 53 Baller
    edited July 26
    Skied behind a 95 Echelon last week. The wake is wayyyyy more firm than my 2000 Response LX. I can't say I have skied behind an older Prostar, but I hear they're good. That Nautique from @aupatking would be worth a look though. A fuely is always nice.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,653
    Sweet 1994 ProStar HERE.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction
  • pudgyskierpudgyskier Posts: 13 Baller
    We will be advertising our 2002 Ski Nautique soon….. Original owner, GT 40 runs strong, Perfect pass, tandem trailer, new tires, spare and swing away tongue. 1300+ hours, oil and tranny oil changed every 50, fuel filter every 100, Plugs and wires every 2 years.,,
    Pudgy Baller
  • CentCent Posts: 79 Baller
    The 91 to 94 Pro Stars are fine boats. I have owned a 94. Used one yesterday. My brother still owns one and won't sell it. The wakes are excellent and I would have no complaints about the ride for a Slalom boat.
    Boats got bigger after 94 and some got modified seeking broader appeal and generally the wake was not as good. If you find a good one I think you will like it.
    Mick04
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,311 Crazy Baller
    edited July 26
    91-94 Prostar is one of the all time best imo. We owned a 92 for 10 years. Just slow down and cruise through choppy water. No need to go fast or ski in it anyway. There are good ones around. Ours was very clean and solid and we sold it for 7k after 6 months on SIA in 2014.
    Mick04
  • 2001Sunsport2001Sunsport Posts: 7 Baller
    Not sure where you are located, but I have my 1994 Supra Comp TS6M for sale in the "stuff for sale" section.
    6balls
  • slowslow Posts: 257 Baller
    The Nautique TSC1 are the boats to buy if you can find one. Preferably with a gt40. Solid, handles and skis fantastic.
    bassfooterToddA
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 27 Baller
    aupatking - nice boat. Can you send me your location and a price? Thanks
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,148 Crazy Baller
    @Nautibynature has a '92 (maybe '94) prostar. It has a nice wake.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 572 Crazy Baller
    I'm a Malibu guy generally, but between the Echelon and that vintage PS190, I'd go for the PS190. Just better slalom wakes. Echelon is a fantastic boat to drive, will ride the chop better than the MC, and makes a respectable wake, but as others have stated, it's a firmer wake.
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,623 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    As stated, a 91-94 Prostar would be preferable to an Echelon. It skis better, tracks better, and was built better (superior materials and craftsmanship). A '94 will have EFI standard too, if that matters to you. I wouldn't pay $14k one for, as you can find them under $10k all day long. If you're going to spend that kind of money, find a Ski Nautique TSC1. You could easily find a 97-99 for that kind of cash.
    Scott Calderwood
    Wish6ballsbassfooter
  • DCookDCook Posts: 3 Baller
    I've owned my '95 Prostar 205 (still the older hull, before MC screwed it up). I loved it. Due to flooding at our club, i even had @jdhughes in a public course last week, and he jumped in for a second set. That said, yesterday i tried to cross a 3,000 acre lake into a 20 mph headwind. I had to turn around. The boat hates any rough water. But if you want a great wake under $20k, that hull is the way to go.
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,786 Mega Baller
    Look for a 91 -94 Hydrodyne inboard. Not big three but very well built. Very good shortline wakes and bigger wakes for tricks and boarding at slower speeds. Cheaper than the others and built like a tank. My 93 Comp had the 285hp Indmar engine and they also came with the 310hp GT-40. I have a 2002 196 but my wife still liked the Dyne better for tracking. Thought I saw a really nice one on CL Minneapolis with 150 hrs. recently.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • DWDW Posts: 1,541 Crazy Baller
    @scorban2 : The Echelon is a good option, the key to maintain a flat wake is to minimize transom weight via removing the rear seat and keeping the tank low on fuel. If you do that, since the same hull as the Response, you will find the wake same as Response. SV23 hull which was introduced in the Echelon is what put Malibu on the map for slalom skiing. The wake does change across the line lengths, flattens nicely at 32-38 which is the sweet spot for the Echelon. If you are a barefooter, the Echelon wake is second only to a Sanger for that. SV23 hull is also all glass, no wood. Malibu will be GM power and should be a Mercruiser for that year/model.

tdusin
  • NautibynatureNautibynature Posts: 137 Baller
    edited July 26
    @Bill22 mine is a 94, but 91-94 is same hull. If I were to sell mine it would be priced around $14k
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,148 Crazy Baller
    @Nautibynature yeah but yours is low hours and super clean.
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,623 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    $14k for a '94 Prostar? That's a very tough sell, no matter how good of shape it's in. If you can get it, take it and run.
    Scott Calderwood
    BrennanKMN6ballspumpinpete
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 135 Baller
    Deep down I dont think the seller wants to sell it! @swc5150
    Bill22swc5150aupatking
  • scorban2scorban2 Posts: 42 Baller
    All, thanks for the comments. You're helping to reaffirm my thoughts on going for the ProStar. I currently only ski behind an i/o other than a handful of sets behind a 2016 ProStar during lessons, so likely any these boats will be much better than what I'm used to. I've done very little course skiing, so the wake at 15 and 22 off is what I'm most concerned about as that's where I free ski, and where I'd be in the course for a while. From what I gather, the 91-94 PS is superior at those lengths specifically compared to some of the others.

@ALPJr How many hours did your's have that sold for $7k? That seems a bit lower than most of what I've been seeing. Might be a negotiating point.

I've been eyeing these two that I've found over the past few weeks. Not FI, but that's by no means a deal breaker.
    93 on SIA
    91 on Craiglist
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,810 Crazy Baller
    Have a '94 myself - not sure if the fuel injection is as big of a seller as everyone says - in my book anytime it falters I'm worried I'm going to be shopping for unavailable MEFI parts from the 90's. Where as when my older carbed boats faltered I was pretty confident in what they wanted. I'm not sure at this point if it failed if I would bother trying to fix the FI or if I'd drop a carb onto it.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 645 Crazy Baller
    94-96 SN are also all glass and have good wakes through 32 off. The boat @aupatking has would be a nice starter boat. I just sold my 94 SN Open Bow. Great boat.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • NautibynatureNautibynature Posts: 137 Baller
    https://goo.gl/pzpZ1x check this 91 PS 190 out.
  • CentCent Posts: 79 Baller
    A few thoughts.
    I prefer the wakes of a 91-94 MC over the Nautique of that era so to my mind your making a good choice in looking for a MC.
    If you find a 94 with EFI MC emphasized changing the fuel filter as scheduled. I believe they found approximately 90 per cent of boats that came in with a performance issue were fixable with a filter change.
    Finally good maintenance can be more important than hours in key respects and it is worth paying more for a well maintained boat.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,311 Crazy Baller
    @scorban2 about 1,100 hours and 100% clean, solid and meticulously maintained. Meh, probably could have held out for more.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 572 Crazy Baller
    edited July 26
    If you want a 15 and 22 off wake, the MC is certainly your best bet. Nautique 22 off rooster is much bigger than the MC at 22.
    Cent