Jump skis are hard to slow down/turn

Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,843 Mega Baller
edited July 26 in Jump
I have been riding the jumpers (my son's 84" Goodmans) for about a week as I am on the come back trail and took a crack at the course today. I didn't run the gates and I got around 5 ball at 21 mph. Getting out to the ball isn't the issue getting the skis slowed down enough to turn was. I am getting a pretty good pull and feel like I am out there early enough but have slack after the turns.

I read in a thread here that someone either ran or watched someone run 28 mph on jumpers that is flying.

I am going to take a crack at it again tomorrow but hopefully soon I will be able to get on my old wide ride ski and run some passes at slower speeds on one ski.
Mark Shaffer
rfaThan_BoganBruce_Butterfieldgt2003

Comments

• RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,177 Mega Baller
    Work really hard on edge changing early and maintaining your out bound trajectory and handle control off the second wake. You don't need to pull very hard because the ski ride high and carry speed.
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,807
    I used to run 34mph-15 off on my 92 inch Goodmans. The mistake you probably make is to pull all the way out and then immediately roll inward on both skis. In reality, you have to give up your pull WAY earlier, but don't roll in. Let your momentum carry you out in a glide. Then as you approach the buoy line start letting the skis roll over and unweight the inner one. If you've got your weight distributed across both skis as it glides you'll never slow down.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

RazorRoss3Bruce_Butterfield6balls
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,843 Mega Baller
    edited July 26
    Good tips thanks. I won't be going over the ramp as my wife has threatened me with divorce if I do but they are fun to ride.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,046 Mega Baller
    @Chef23 you obviously don't have enough life insurance. Go get a sizeable policy and your wife will be encouraging you to go over the jump B)
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    Chef23mnewthunksskis
    When you have the control to run the course solidly at 34mph, it's time to send it over the ramp. You'll be fine. Just video it for our benefit. :)
    Shane "Crash" Hill

RazorRoss3Bruce_Butterfield
    @Bruce_Butterfield my kids are already debating whether I am worth more dead or alive I don't want to give them anymore motivation.
    Mark Shaffer
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,470 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks for this post. Been on the jumpers in recovery free skiing some but not in the course yet...planning to get there soon. The advice about edge change and glide out is great...cuz I was not thinking that...I was thinking off the wakes, pick up my inside ski to only ride one and increase drag so that I could pick up the higher speeds.
    I'm riding ancient EP 72's, so will get off the pull early and glide out. Thanks all.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    @6balls the old EPs should turn a lot easier than the Goodmans I am skiing on. I am going to give it another go tomorrow and I will report back. I am going to continue skipping the gates until I get a couple of full passes in. I did go to a 75 foot line also.

I will admit I don't want to fall hard I am not sure how my body will handle that right now.
    Mark Shaffer
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 621 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    VERY GOOD to see you are back on the water @Chef23 !
    2016 Radar Alloy Vapor
    Than_Bogan
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,826 Mega Baller
    You can learn a ton about slalom on your jump skis. If you need some advice, call Lucky. He's the king of jump ski slalom.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    I'm gonna have to make a long line rope...I don't have any. A good number of them start at -28. The stubborn in me says hell I can run -15 on jumpers slow enough.
    Attempt two in the course went much better. I missed the first pass when I pulled long into 5 ball but then I ran 5 passes in a row with gates at 21 then 23 mph. I am tired now though.

Getting off the pull earlier and on to the turning edge sooner definitely made a difference I was able to turn with a relatively tight line as long as I focused on that. Once the ski finished the turn I loaded hard to the middle of the wake and started to think about changing edges.

@lpskier what do you think you learn about slalom on the jumpers? The work zone is certainly different for me than it seems on the slalom although maybe it is where it should be if I was a better skier.

I am off for the next three days to take my son to a lacrosse tournament but I am looking forward to next week.
    Mark Shaffer
    gt2003Than_Bogan6ballsDeke
    It'll also teach you patience and how to ride the line out.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

@Chef23 1. Where to get off the gas and coast

2. How to coast with your arms in at your side.
    3. How and where to reach.
    4. How to wait for the skis to come under the line before getting on the gas.
    Ran balls on the jumpers today...fun! I'm gonna be sore.
    @6balls I wasn't as sore as I thought I would be and I have done very little for 8 months.
    Mark Shaffer
    @chef23 and @Mark_Matis it was interesting for me. I jumped in college, and I've ridden the jumpers twice in the last few weeks but at 34 mph open water...big cut and end up way up on the boat...wait, wait, wait, big cut the other way and same thing.

This was very different being so slow, rounding a ball and putting a bunch of angle on 'em, then getting off of it at the second wake, reaching forward and, as you say, on the balls of the feet and then putting a pile of angle on them again.

I would recommend this to anyone who is in a little slalom funk or something just to remember it's fun to be on the water. Feels like I got a good core workout whereas doing the big cuts fast on the jumpers in open water was more a quad thing.

Got my new slalom binding today but will be a while yet...baby steps.
    thagerChef23Bruce_Butterfield
    Got back out there this morning. It was a beautiful morning and it is really great to be back on the water in any form.

I ran 21 and 23 mph with no problem then bumped to 24.9. It is amazing how much faster this feels than 21. First pass I was doing pretty well until I got my weight on my heels at 4 ball and I went out the back. I ran the next one although it was a little late then was running the pass nice and early and I got lazy at 5 ball and fell out the back again. I ran a good nice and early pass to finish the set up.

Even on those big skis it is really important to pay attention to where your weight is. I am trying not to lean back on the line but drive with the equivalent of my down hill ski crossing the wakes.

I am going to ski a few more sets on the jumpers but I feel the pull of the 69" HO Charger I have. I think I may be getting strong enough to get out on that.
    Mark Shaffer
    [Deleted User]Deke
    Personally, I think there is more to be gained by staying at a slower speed where you can do a lot of things right and repeat them rather than speeding up and seeing how fast things can go south.
    @lpskier agree...as much as I'm riding the skis I'm not the least bit excited about testing my leg/ankle/foot in a fall yet.
    @Chef23 Great for you, Mark!!