Next Ski Purchase

bdoe22796bdoe22796 Posts: 7 Baller
I currently am skiing on a 2015 Radar Theory. My PB is 30 mph at 15 off. With my upcoming collegiate season approaching I want get a new ski because I feel as if I am quickly reaching the limits of the Theory. I have access to Pro Deals with Radar through the team but I have found cheaper deals on ski it again with older used equipment. My question is what model of ski should I be looking for and do the new skis really make that big of a difference? I would like to stay within the Radar family.

Comments

• IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,047 Crazy Baller
    I like getting new equipment because with used equipment I don't know how many people have owned it, how hard it was used, if it was left in the sun, etc. Basically anyone can say "was cared for excellently" and "lightly used" but all of that is subjective to the person. Seeing that you are skiing collegiate and your top speed is 36 I would go for a vapor, the senate would be a good option but I'm not sure how good it will preform at 36. No doubt the vapor will preform better at 36.

Where do you ski?
    RazorRoss3bdoe22796
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,269 Mega Baller
    I second the Vapor is your best bet, if you are running 30/-15 I think a Vapor is the next step not because you need it right now but because you'll need it soon and better to shell out now once that to buy an intermediate step and then buy a new one again a year later.
    bdoe22796dvskierBill22
  • bdoe22796bdoe22796 Posts: 7 Baller
    @RazorRoss3 @Ilivetoski Thank you guys for the advice! Would you recommend Pro Build, Lithium or Graphite? Also I ski for Baylor
    Well you ski for the wrong school because Iowa is where it's at but with that aside it think @eddie_roberts_jr might be a better resource since I don't have the differences among the tiers memorized by any means.
    bdoe22796
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,047 Crazy Baller
    If I were you I wouldn't go for the graphite or alloy just because the Lithium and Pro Build are going to be the real top of the line skis. They are going to be the fastest and most responsive. The pro build is more responsive than the lithium because they use a different kind of core. Again, personally if I were going to buy one of them, I would go with the pro build because if I had the lithium I would always ask myself "man this ski feels great, but I wonder what the step above it feels like?". Also it depends on how much you are willing to spend. When I skied for Cincinnati we got a deal with a local pro shop for a discount on Radar and most of the people who ordered new skis just went all out and today 4 years later they are (mostly) all on the same ski they bought from that order. If you don't mind spending the extra $100 (I think thats what it is I could be slightly off) I would go for the pro build.
    bdoe22796RazorRoss3
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 249 Solid Baller
    @bdoe22796 what size are you looking for?
    Might want to check the sizing charts, I have met very few skiers who ride a 68" anything. Most people I know are on 66-67"
    bdoe22796
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,073 Mega Baller
    If you are over 200 lbs and working up to full speed the 68" is probably the right size. Used 68s are generally hard to find. As a former clydesdale it was difficult to find skis to demo and buy used.
    Mark Shaffer
    bdoe22796
    I am 6'2" 195 lbs
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,309 Crazy Baller
    +2 or +3 to the post above, Vapor rocks. If you have the $$ get a Pro build off SIA, if not get a 2016 Lithium. If that is out of your price range I would not rule out the Vapor Graphite 16-'17. The graphite skis are very rare on SIA but you could find one on closeout or ebay. IMHO you would advance faster on a '16 graphite than a 14-'15 Lithium. I have skied both and the 2016 is a more forgiving ski. My graphite Vapor has got me to 5 ball at [email protected] many times, now I just need to figure out how to get out the gates. :) The only downside of the graphite is in 3-4 years you probably will want to upgrade again.

One last comment on the difference in years; the 2016 Lithium had the "super-duper" (forgot the real name) type of carbon fiber. In 2017 only the Pro got the super-duper and the '17 Lithium got the standard carbon (I am sure it's still really good). Just a little vapor trivia for you.
    bdoe22796
    @RazorRoss3 I have decided to buy the Lithium Vapor. You mentioned that not many people ski on 68". I am 6'2" 195 lbs. Do you think I should get 67" or 68"? Radar's size chart says that 67" is for 160-200 lbs and 68" is for 180-220 lbs.
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,989 Mega Baller
    When the water heats up above 80 you will wish you bought the 68". Otherwise both are good. I am 190 on the 67".
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    bdoe22796
    As you can tell you are about on the line. The weight is more important than the height, if you plan to maintain current weight then you'll probably be fine either way, if you plan on dropping weight you might lean towards the 67. Full disclosure I am an anomaly weighing 185 and riding a 68.5 inch ski which is longer than anyone else I know.
    bdoe22796
  • bajabaja Posts: 230 Baller
    @bdoe22796 I have a 2016 Vapor Lithium 67". Skied lots of sets but only a few at 34mph. I'm mid 60's and pretty much stick to 28 mph thru 32 mph. I've been on the 2017 Senate Lithium for a couple of months now and I'm keeping it. So I can make a college skier a killer deal before I put it on SIA this week. PM me or respond here if you are interested.
    bdoe22796
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,721 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @bdoe22796 I wud go 68. Ran 67 last year thru 38 at 34 but seemed like more work than I wanted at 190. The 67 seemed to come alive for me at 36 mph..if that was my speed 67 for sure. I go 195 or so...ordered up a 68 but then injured myself can't wait to get out on it.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    bdoe22796
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 947 Mega Baller
    I'm 6'2" 195 and ski at 34mph I've had both the 67 and the 68. The 68 is what you need, especially if you are working your way up on speed from 30.
    The Lithium is the PVC core, that up until last year, was the best you could get in the industry, and still what 95% of the market place still uses as their top of the line core material.
    The Pro Build is the newest core material PMI that, to my knowledge, Radar is still the only one in the industry using. It's superior in rebound and breakdown quality.
    bdoe22796
  • skihardskihard Posts: 527 Crazy Baller
    @bdoe22796 - I'm 5' 10" and 205 pounds. I ride a 67" Pro Build based on the recommendations of TFinn.
    I tried 68" skis in the past and couldn't get the skis to turn far enough. I seemed to fight the ski.
    It was TFinn who I ran my first 28 off pass with on a 68" ski that said to me "Great work but we need to get you on a 67" ski"
    Personal practice best is a few at 35 off - wished I could ski half that good in tournaments but that's for another thread! :)
    2014 Carbon Pro, Radar Pro Build Lithium Vapor w/ Vapor Carbitex Boa Bindings - life's about working hard and then having fun on the water! I am - are you?
    bdoe22796