Beginner Help

MEDDERXMEDDERX Posts: 3 Baller
edited August 3 in Technique & Theory
Hi I just started skiing back in late May. I feel like I have began cutting across the wake at a good pace now but right at the time I want to start my turn the rope gets quite a lot of slack in it. Anyone have any ideas on why this may be happening? I usually ski 31-34mph and at full length though I've tried 15 off but it did not seem to make a difference with the slack, I will try to get a video the next time I go. Thanks

Comments

• gregygregy Posts: 2,362 Mega Baller
    Often with beginners this is caused by rocking back on the tail of the ski in the turn. Also you want keep connected by keeping both hands on handle until just before you turn. Letting go to early will cause you to get too much on edge causing the ski to come into the turn narrow resulting in slack. I'd suggest going to 15off if your free skiing and be patient in the turn, don't rush it. If the ski is setup good and you're balance on the ski it should kinda turn on its on.
  • scorban2scorban2 Posts: 44 Baller
    In addition to @gregy 's comments, make sure you're not pulling past the wakes. I've got a friend with the same issue, and he's still trying to break the habit of continuing to pull out once he crosses the wake. You should pull through the wakes, then coast/glide out with the momentum you've built.
  • MEDDERXMEDDERX Posts: 3 Baller
    Thank you for the tips. Now that you mention it I think i am pulling past the wake and I know for a fact I am sitting back on the ski. Would moving the boots forward help with balancing it out? Sitting back is a bad habit I've always had snow skiing. @scorban2
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,362 Mega Baller
    sitting back is a bad habit almost all of us have to overcome. Its a natural defensive position. You have to get comfortable standing tall in a stacked position with hips forward, ankles flexed with shoulders, hips and front foot align. Commit to this and try to stay in that position as much as possible while skiing.

For a beginner its probably best to have the ski set to factory recommended settings. Adjusting a ski to compensate for bad habits often just reinforces the bad habits.
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 536 Crazy Baller
    Partly the reason you're getting slack is because you're turning in too soon. As you glide out you are faster than the boat. You should continue to glide, be patient in the turn and the boat will soon start to suck you in which means you're going the same speed as the boat which is the time to turn in and the rope will be tight. If you turn too soon while youre faster than the boat you will turn into a slack line and the line won't tighten until the boat takes up slack and as a defense we tend to fall back on the Ski to take up the slack.
    dvskier
  • JordanJordan Posts: 842 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Slack occurs only when you are going faster than the boat, in the direction of the boat- this usually occurs when you transition from the pull and coast on a flat ski. The answer is to coast outbound, (as opposed to down the lake) on an inside edge.

If you read @Bruce_Butterfield excellent article on handle control, it will help you with the mechanics that will help with this.
  • MEDDERXMEDDERX Posts: 3 Baller
    So I managed to get a video, this was my first run in about a week so I tried to push myself a little much. My second run was too dark to video but I forced myself to slow down a bit and focus on not sitting back as well as not pulling past the wake and it did help quite a bit. https://youtube.com/watch?v=UC4ILkxMH1Q&feature=youtu.be