Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Binding Solution for Ankle Injuries

Hey Ballers,

I recently sprained my ankle after my foot did not release out of the binding during a fall. I would say I'm an aggressive skier, but far from a pro. I ski on a 2016 Radar Senate graphite (which I love) with a front Profile boot and RTP.

Would anyone recommend a different binding setup (double boot, releasable binding, etc.) to avoid this problem in the future? I'd like to continue to ski aggressively without worrying about what happens if I really take a fall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks BOS!

Comments

• foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 476 Crazy Baller
    How tight are you pulling the laces? They dont need to be tight.
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2016 66 lithium vapor
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 476 Crazy Baller
    Lots of posts about radar bindings. Here is one if you have`nt seen it. bindings
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2016 66 lithium vapor
    Walker
  • parkerc2112parkerc2112 Posts: 113 Baller
    After missing a month of work twice because of a 3rd degree sprain then a broken ankle that

required surgery. Went to reflex. No issues in 2 years
    aupatking
  • WalkerWalker Posts: 9 Baller
    @foxriverat fairly tight. Not to the point where I've used all of the elasticity but tight enough so my foot/ankle feels locked in place. Sounds like that might be part of my problem though.
    @parkerc2112 looks like a very bad break...glad you found a solution! Have you seen others with the Reflex system on a non-36mph ski?
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 276 Solid Baller
    After 2 bad falls with HO Animal and a blue ankle for 3 weeks....went to Reflex white cuff.....the best....I had 3 OTF and 1 big one no problem and very happy I swiched to Reflex. But you have to check the release system at least every 3 weeks. And better safe than sorry
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 522 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Walker I can put your Profile boot on the MOB system, then you can tighten it as you want. Just have to lose the stretchy laces. Then you won't have to get use to a new boot.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    aupatking
  • nam1975nam1975 Posts: 127 Baller
    tight on the foot, snug, not tight, on the bungee around the ankles....

I would say 50% of the regulars I ski with are on reflex. All shortline(28-35off) 34mph. We have all blown ankles using "non release" bindings. No problems since, it's just a matter of overcoming change.
    Greg BanishWalker
  • Greg BanishGreg Banish Posts: 99 Baller
    I completely destroyed my ankle (broke the medial malleolus off the tibia) last fall. I'm on an HO Syndicate boot and Reflex r-style rear this year. It took a few weeks to get used to the feel, but I'm skiing better than ever now. The release worked and prevented a similar injury already this year, so I'm staying with it.
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 761 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2017
    Summary of a whole bunch of discussion over the years on this site:
    - Reflex (hard shell), MOB/OB4 (hard shell) and Radar RS-1/Strada/Vapor boots ('firm' shell with liners that release in a fall and very different in 'release-design' vs Radar's other bindings) are mentioned most often in relation to reliable bindings that reduce incidents of injury.
    - You will always find someone who got hurt, no matter which binding system (no system eliminates 100% of the risk).
    - Hard shell systems: a) cost a bit more, b) take a while to get used to (switching from traditional bindings, your performance will go down for a few sets before it goes up), c) sometimes take some fussing to get the release tension right (like downhill ski bindings, they are adjustable in terms of how easy/hard they release); all that being said, d) those who make the transition would generally not go back.
    - Most people hurt their ankle going 'out the front'. That said, people sometimes get hurt in strange torsional/back/sideways falls, and the MOB/OB4 systems address that risk
    - There is some theory/truth that double boots are safer than using a rear toe piece - that it's safer to have both feet out or both feet in during a fall - but in reality, I haven't noticed an onslaught of stories of single boot/RTP skiers getting hurt in greater numbers because of one-foot-in, one-foot-out falls.
    Walker
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 761 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2017
    I'll follow the above post with my personal experience:
    I snapped my achilles on traditional, tight rubber bindings about 10 years ago. I bought a pair of Radar RS-1s (original ancestors of the current vapor carbitex bindings) and was able to adjust instantly and comfortably, and they have always released when they should and never when they shouldn't. Most importantly, psychologically, they give me real peace of mind... I simply never worry anymore about ankle injuries. Great, simple, no-fuss design that works.
    slow
    I bought reflex for 2 reasons.
    1. release
    2. Achilles strap
    DeanoskiWalker
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 275 Baller
    great timing @Walker. I'm 30 years old been slaloming since 7 and this is the first time i have ever sprained my ankle due to a bad fall. stupid me i crashed 4 times on saturday each brutally painful on my left ankle ( LFF). once i knew i couldnt walk the rest of the day i got in the boat and asked if a non 36'er can ride a hard shell..Some great insight here and like @Deanoski recommendation. Great thread
    Walker
    I'm not on the shortline yet, but have been spending more time in the course over the past few summers. Sounds like an investment into a Reflex or MOB system might be the way to go. Thank you ballers for the great insight!
    @MuskokaKy Sounds like what happened to me this past weekend...I've been wondering that same thing for a while. I guess we have an answer!
    MuskokaKy
  • RichRich Posts: 248 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I just broke my ankle a few weeks back. I never hit buoys, Never go for that late quarter!!! I has coming into 2 ball @ 38, backsiding it. I was wide & early, and hit the buoy! My front reflex released, rear power shell with just one strip of 220 interlock didn't
    My new set up will be the half boot on the rear, and reflex style front.