Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Course Set Up Help Please

MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 101 Baller
I recently picked up a used portable course but am confused about a few things on set up. I'm sure the more experienced crowd in here can answer easily.

1. Are the entry and exit gates wider than the boat guides? From measurements on diagrams I've seen it shows entry gates 98 1/2 inches wide but boat guides only 90 inches. I've always looked at courses and seen nicely aligned gates and guides all the way down indicating all the same size.

2. What is the correct distance from the centerline of the boatguides to the buoy?. I want to make sure I have the arms correctly set / extended. I found a listing of 37 ' 8.4" . Is this correct?

3. Are the lines to the buoys usually clipped directly to the small eyelet in the buoy or to a small loop of rope or something attached to the buoy. Clipping direcltly woudlnt seem to work well as the eyelet holes on the buoys are very small.

Thanks much in advance for your help!

Comments

• MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 101 Baller
    Thanks @DaveLemons . Figured these were easy questions for this group.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,217 Crazy Baller
    Go to USAWATERSKI.org, click on the 3 event box. Then scroll down the left banner and click on AWSA rules then click rule book. The measurements you want are almost the end of the book. Center line of boat guides to buoy is 11.5M or 37' 8 3/4".
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    @DaveLemons -the course hasn't been 75 ft wide since the us standard went metric a long time ago. now its 23 meters wide which is just under 75 1/2 ft.
  • MNshortlinerMNshortliner Posts: 87 Baller
    What year about did the course go from 75' to the now 23 m?
    hemlock
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,357 Historical Baller
    @MNshortliner In the mid to late 1970s. I stupor-vised changing Jack Horton's SL course
    over from foot to metric in February, 1974. The metric course is also about 5 feet shorter
    overall (259m vs. 855ft).
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,177 Mega Baller
    I remember the changeover. Left our old course as was and added a new metric course on North side of our lake. Was amazed at how much harder the metric course seemed to be for such small changes!
    Stir vigorously then leave!