Time to replace the fin?

LokiLoki Posts: 3 New Baller
My Connelly F1 is 8 years old, and the fin has a bunch of small dents from hitting the spring hooks on the buoys (see the image). Will this sort of damage materially affect the ski performance?

Also, I was looking for a shop which would be able to replace the fin for me, and I wasn't able to find any. I live in Toronto, ON. If you could recommend a shop which would be able to do the job, I'd appreciate it!

Comments

• keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 295 Solid Baller
    No doubt that will have some sort of impact. You might not notice it over time but I would replace it.

Ill try and beat Horton to the punch but Performance Ski & Surf is an advertiser and a quick check on their website shows they have the Viper fin.

Connelly also came out with a new fin box that has set adjustment screws that you might be able to get a new fin as well as a fin block. I just got one for my prophecy and its awesome and was a direct drop in. Horton also did a review on another company a few days ago that makes fin blocks as well.
    Loki
  • skialexskialex Posts: 587 Solid Baller
    Find a baler near you with the skills to set up a fin, to change it for you. It could take some effort thought as f1 has no adjusting screws and those tighting screws might be a bitch to unscrew.
    Or you can smooth out the dents with a sandpaper, they don't look that deep.
    Or maybe move to newer technology B)
    wtrskiorski6jonesLokiandyr
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 295 Solid Baller
    Good point @skialex

Here is a newer Connelly GT for sale in Canada. Maybe that can help with the extra taxes and fees that you fella's up north have to deal with.
    skialexLoki
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,827 Mega Baller
    On an older ski like the F1, and assuming the ski still works for you, personally I'd just take the burrs off the fin with a stone and keep going with it. My thoughts are as follows:

1. It looks to be in reasonably good shape.
    2. If you replace the fin, unless you or a friend know what you are doing and are very patient, you'll have a hard time getting a new fin into the same setting as the existing fin.
    3. Replacing the fin and clamp will cost you more than the ski is worth.

If it were a new ski, I might feel differently.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    davemacLoki
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,044 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Talk to @Horton to get a carbon fin for it!
    HortonLoki
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,153 Mega Baller
    edited August 15
    @Loki Although it looks bad, I wouldn't say it's essential to change. If the ski is working to your liking, and you don't have qualified help to put a new fin in the right position, just file off the burs and carry on. Yes, a new fin would be infinitesimally better, and it actually won't cost all that much—but if you don't have someone who knows how to set up the new fin, there's WAY more chance of messing up your skiing by screwing up the installation of a new fin in that fin block than just sticking with what you know.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
    LokithagerBruce_Butterfield
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 131 Baller
    @Loki I'm in Toronto as well. Best place's around are Boardsports and Buckeye Surf and Snow. You can always head to Spray Lake as they have the expertise and im sure the gear. A lot of us up here head down south in the winter and grab the gear and tune ups then. PerfSki is great and based in Florida.
    Loki
  • LokiLoki Posts: 3 New Baller
    Thanks for all the responses! Neither Boardsports, nor Spray Lake wanted to do it, but the shop at McClintock's said they would replace the fin for just 20$. It's not far from where I work, so I will head down there tomorrow.

The ski felt a bit funny the last couple times I skied, which is why I started looking into this. I am not sure if it's also possible that the fin moved a bit. Unfortunately I never took the measurements on the fin, so I can't even tell.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 3 New Baller
    Thanks for all the responses! Neither Boardsports, nor Spray Lake wanted to do it, but the shop at McClintock's said they would replace the fin for just 20$. It's not far from where I work, so I will head down there tomorrow.

The ski felt a bit funny the last couple times I skied, which is why I started looking into this. I am not sure if it's also possible that the fin moved a bit. Unfortunately I never took the measurements on the fin, so I can't even tell.
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,791 Mega Baller
    :You're welcome! :D
    Stir vigorously then leave!