Guide post on Carbon Pro

Justin_CJustin_C Posts: 116 Baller
Anyone know if you can buy one of those little guide posts for keeping the boat lined up in the course like what come (or came) on the Carbon Pros? I thought about making one but I don't want it to look sloppy. I'd like to put one on to make it easier for my wife to keep the boat straight.

Comments

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,897 Crazy Baller
    Don't think that stuff is worth a crap. Stick a piece of tape on your windshield if you think it might help.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • Justin_CJustin_C Posts: 116 Baller
    @LeonL never thought of doing that
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 569 Crazy Baller
    Yep I put two pieces of tape for my wife to align with the guide balls. Not on the windshield tho, actually on the front rail.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,810 Crazy Baller
    One direction we have a shorestation to look at - the other you have to look at a water tower in the distance. Way better than something on the bow to stare down at.
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 874 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    You need something on the bow, not in the distance. Every single good tournament driver agrees. Centurion gunsight is cool and adjustable from the drivers seat but a well placed strip of tape is just as effective
    MattPBraceMakerShell
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,810 Crazy Baller
    Very true if it's straight, we fight depth and wind on a portable and usually we can keep the gates in line but you really can't follow the center too hard or the driver usually ends up having way more overall swerve.
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 874 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited September 1
    @BraceMaker I need to make an edit. I said

"You need something on the bow, not in the distance. Every single good tournament driver agrees."

When riding in the boat with Chad Scott this weekend at the CaProAm, he made sure we pulled the bow target off becuase he a) does not use it and b) said it's distracting. Since many pros consider him the best driver on the planet I am happy to stand publically corrected.
    Justin_CDrago
  • DekeDeke Posts: 321 Baller
    Can someone explain how to setup and use the "tape on the bow rail" thing? I have always heard of this but have never seen or tried it.
  • Boat030Boat030 Posts: 35 Baller
    If you still want to put in the effort to put in the gunsight like the Centurion, this is the cable and knob that's used. goodvibesracing.com/cable_micro_adjust.htm
    Mateo Vargas
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    I can't use the gunsights or most other tape markings, etc. I'm left eye dominant. I have to develop a reference using field of vision off the point of the bow. Don't forget, with any reference point, your position in the seat affects your accuracy. Be consistent in your adjustments behind the wheel.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    DaveD
  • LLUSALLUSA Posts: 206 Solid Baller
    @bishop8950 I have to agree with Chad, I find those very distracting, find a point and stick with it.
    LLUSA, Sr Driver, AWSA Board of Directors, Towboat Committee,Lake Owner
    Dragobishop8950
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,195 Crazy Baller
    i always sight down the left hand boat guides and drive as if i was trying to brush my right shoulder lightly against those guides. i also remember a post where someone recommended lining your right foot up with the guides but the imaginary shoulder brush works better for me. most important is to look *ahead* down the line of buoys, not just at the one you're closest to.
  • MSMS Posts: 4,285 Mega Baller
    Depends upon which boat your driving
    Shut up and ski
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,818 Mega Baller
    @MISkier If your boat has a visible bow light, you can align the bow light and the left side boat guides. That might work better for you.

I'm the guy that uses his right foot.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • DanEDanE Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2
    @mwetskier Guessing buoys # 2,4,6 is fairly easy with you behind the wheel? :-)
    mwetskier
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    @lpskier, that is what I usually use. That, or some contour in the bow that is approximately where the light would be.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    @DanE -not sure why you'd guess that -or bother to guess at all. fortunately for me i regularly pull nationally ranked skiers who ski into and sometimes thru 38 off. i constantly ask for feed back when they're skiing or riding in the boat. so far they seem to be satisfied with the results and i'm pretty sure they get a better look at the boat path than you do. just sayin'
  • DragoDrago Posts: 841 Crazy Baller
    @mwetskier -- he was making a joke. You said you brush your right shoulder down the left buoys, making you about 4' off center.
    edited September 4
    @Drago -oh okay i get it i guess i wasn't clear. I actually sit in the driver seat backwards and look over my shoulder using a hand mirror, much in the way annie oakley used to shoot clay pigeons in her wild west show. that way i am able to double check my boat path directly in real time.

and in case *that* wasn't clear, this is whats known as ' doubling down on a typo '.
    lpskierBulldogDanEDrago
  • DragoDrago Posts: 841 Crazy Baller
    And watch the skier ;)
    Good plan. I will try it out
  • coach3coach3 Posts: 9 Baller
    note if a skier is lff or rff and how soon they load on each side, and then drive them in rhythm.
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 338 Solid Baller
    After reading this I was out driving today. I do find I give a better line if I look down the course, I actually focus on the far end gates and then the 55m gates as I get about halfway thru. But I also like the CP Gunsight, I can see it in my peripheral vision (or a quick glance down) and know that I need the right side guide balls to be split by the sight just as it disappears from view, I can see how some tape in the window could help as well by keeping your eyes down the course.
    DaveD