Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's Up with USGEAR?

I purchased a new $130 handle in September of 2015 which did not arrive until sometime in 2016 and has only been used about 10 times. Yesterday the super duper "Spectra" line failed in the middle of a set, not cut just pulled apart. I love the ergonomics of this handle, so despite my trepidation I tried to order a replacement. The USGEAR website is a hot mess. The Paypal link will not work and although it says you can pay with a credit card I have not been able to figure out how to do that either. The final straw, I called this morning and was forwarded to a phone that had no voice mail set up. Another dead end. Several of my ski buddies who liked this handle have tried to order them and they never show up, so they end up cancelling the orders out of frustration. I will not waste any more of my time with USGEAR.
Tagged:

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,033 Mega Baller
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    ski6jonesKeith MenardjayskiJust1MorePass
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,687 Mega Baller
    Surprised you got something in 2016, I thought that they had flopped in 2014.
    Horton
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,229 Crazy Baller
    Masterline
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,426 Crazy Baller
    this thread is like deja vu all over again ;-)
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,362 Historical Baller
    $130 for a handle assembly?!
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,553 Mega Baller
    @Edbrazil the Masterline Carbon handle is that price now as well.
    Mark Shaffer
  • bananaronbananaron Posts: 183 Baller
    I really enjoyed the USGEAR products however they are no longer making their products.I now use and really enjoy INTOW products and Brenda is fantastic to work with.Give her a call and she will help you out.GREAT PRODUCTS.......GREAT SERVICE
    Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
    jayskirodecon
  • Mrs_MSMrs_MS Posts: 311 Crazy Baller
    No more USGEAR handles?????
    Then I'm hiding mine so @MS can't use it and wear it out!!! Lol
    I ski for fun, just the wife!
  • spicolispicoli Posts: 120 Baller
    I always hear to restringing a handle I always wear out the rubber never rope how do yall wear out the rope first .I recon the k palms do it do other gloves not wear the rubber.
  • MSMS Posts: 4,840 Mega Baller
    The rubber on USG handles last twice as long as any others I have used. My last handle lasted 4 years and I ski every day for 5-6 months
    Shut up and ski
    Mrs_MSskibug
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,155 Mega Baller
    I understand that ML isn't making the US GEAR handle anymore. A friend lost his over the stearn of the boat a few weeks ago and was devistated as the ML handle couldn't be replaced.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,362 Historical Baller
    @Chef23 Wow. When I was making Ultra Handles in the early 1970s, I felt that I was
    pushing the limit when I charged $25. for a strung-up and tested handle. And, it couldn't
    be lost by falling overboard, since it floated.
    ALPJr
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 441 Solid Baller
    let me see what is going on with Masterline
    And the USG style bent bars.
    I do have a inside track.
    dchristman
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,972
    Last I heard from Randy Shoener at Masterline, they were working on re-introducing the ergo handles after some R&D and qaulity assurance measures were put into place. They had told me, in person while I was at ML, that they thought the handles might be out by July or August, after testing was complete. I am curious is they ditched the whole project.
    Bob Grizzi
  • MSMS Posts: 4,840 Mega Baller
    @lpskier That's another plus about the USG, they float.
    Shut up and ski
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,058 Mega Baller
    I suggested this in a thread last year...

With the acquisition of Eagle, this seems like an accessory that @Russell @mlusa ought to make. Some nice light-weight foam with a tough water repellent cover. It could be made to match your Eagle vest.

It's not an arm guard - It's a handle float ;)
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    gsm_peterBG1
  • SethroSethro Posts: 225 Baller
    I added floats to my ML ergo handle bridle so it'll float. I love that handle, but would love it even more if it would float.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,223 Mega Baller
    I have been thinking about building my own this winter as my next project. Bending the aluminum is a no brainer and is easy. Little stymied by the rubber but am thinking golf grip should work, Just need to see how one is tied internally and source the plastic handle coverings. Really think this is doable. We will see.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,330 Administrator
    @thager Please shoot video of the process. (Comedy Gold)

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

MattPaupatkingMS
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,223 Mega Baller
    Bent and built and sewed my own bimini. This shouldn't be any tougher. I could never compete with your (comedy gold) unboxing vids so will not even try....
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Andre
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,972
    @thager , Randy Shoener at ML described to me the process and they put the rubber on first. They put in on a long run of aluminum tube stock, The rubber is way over sized on the OD. He said there was quite a trick to getting it to cure correctly and stay adhered to the aluminum. Then they bend it and grind the rubber down to size. Grinding the rubber is the other trick to it. You need the right equipment.
    Bob Grizzi
    IronR1Horton
  • spicolispicoli Posts: 120 Baller
    edited August 2017
    We used rolls at work had rubber they get grooved I'd put them on lathe cut it down back smooth
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,687 Mega Baller
    @spicoli for such low precision application as a ski handle one could buy a clapped out old metal lathe, turn the bar between centers and strap a running angle grinder w flap disc on the tool post with a fast auto feed. Good shielding for all the dust and I'm sure a bathroom fan to pull out the smoke and shazaam.