Edge change just happens or do you make it happen

HortonHorton Posts: 23,828 Administrator
edited August 2017 in Advanced Topics
I have always been a edge change happens when it happens guy. Lot of smart folks have told me that I pull too long when I am under pressure but I never had a vision of how to manually change the transition point.

Yesterday I was screwing around at 32 off and did something that felt like... Going from 1/3/5 to 2/4/6 at the first wake I just moved the ski left and shazam! I had achieved a very early edge change. It felt great. Is this what everyone else has been doing for hears?

I am a bit doubtful about adapting this for shorter line lengths with out a lot of repetition but I am intreaged.

Any thoughts?

Note this thread is set to Advanced Topics

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

andjulesaupatkingJordanozskisunvalleylawchris55

Comments

• DragoDrago Posts: 863 Crazy Baller
    Hmm....
    Worth exploring.
    I usual figure skiers have to pull long because
    A. They are on the back foot
    B. "Slow" gate
    C. The ski isn't set up correctly.
    C can cause A, B is usually caused by hanging out with the wrong crowd
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,417 Mega Baller
    Do it at 35 and get back to me. It works.
    Jim Ross
    RazorRoss3Jordanandjulessunvalleylaw
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,828 Administrator
    edited August 2017
    @Razorskier1 at least at on easy passes there is really something there. I have worked on it a few times. It will take a lot of 32s and 35s before this will translate to 38 but I think it might be a key at the shorter lines were I really need to get off the line sooner.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

sunvalleylaw
    @Horton -- this morning I just did 32s (mostly because it was cold and windy as hell!). However, even in adverse conditions I just "did less", and had my ski flat at the second wake. It was sooooo easy. So I agree, it helps to do it there, but if you shorten to 35 and can convince yourself to ski it like you just did the 32, it is magically delicious.
    Jim Ross
    sunvalleylawaupatking
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,652 Mega Baller
    While everyone who has posted in this thread is a better skier than I am, I'd really like to hear some thoughts on this from skiers waaaay better than me, Horton, and Jim.

Anybody willing to share?
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Centsunvalleylaw
  • TriplettTriplett Posts: 205 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @horton, judging from your video on the Denali, it looks like you are implementing this very well.

This is something I have been working on a lot. To me, it feels like I am running a narrower path to the ball, but still getting around it and across faster than ever. I am driving into the first wake and shooting the ski on edge. After that, I am trying to stay on the handle as long as possible. I am really good at this into my toe side turn, not so much into my heel side. Sorry if that explanation sucks, @AdamCord is way better at explaining this than me. Skiing to buoy sounds crazy, but that is essentially your path. Once you feel it you know what Horton is talking about.

Before jumping on the c-65 I was doing this very well, but I have sort of lost it setting up the ski. Its time to get back to working on it and I will attempt to post some video in here.

A good over exaggerated pro example of this is Brooke Baldwin or Karina Nowlan.

Brent Triplett - Michigan
    Than_BoganAdamCordRazorskier1sunvalleylaw
    @AdamCord - the trick for me on shorter lines is exactly that - convincing myself to do it. Sometimes I get hung up on "running the pass" anyway possible. Then I pull hard, try to get wide early, and power my way out. It can be done, but it sucks!!!

Last fall I got very good at doing it the right way, and 38 was almost automatic. Funny thing is doing it right is just plain easier, and so I had to get used to the idea that I didn't have to get all amped up to run the short passes.
    Jim Ross
    RazorRoss3sunvalleylawchris55adamhcaldwell
    @AdamCord - the speed building part needs more clarity for people too. For example, I'm a big guy. If I turn in and lean away, there is a tendency to push the ski deeper in the water, with more weight back on the ski. This DOES NOT generate speed, only load. However, if I turn in and MOVE FORWARD into the handle, without leaning hard, the ski stays higher, my weight is in the right place, and I get tons of speed with less physical exertion. Point being, I think a lot of us associate gaining speed with leaning hard (irrespective of forward/backward weight distribution), whereas it is really about moving forward. Once you are moving forward (as I've seen with @adamhcaldwell, you can then lean as hard as needed, generating great speed without undue load.
    Jim Ross
    RazorRoss3
  • AdamCordAdamCord Posts: 492 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited August 2017
    @Razorskier1 yes none of this works if the ski is over loaded and you are moving slow at the wakes. I think my favorite video that illustrates both the acceleration and this type of edge change really well is the one below of KC Wilson. He loads the rope long before he loads the ski, allowing him to accelerate without driving the ski under water. This allows him to have very little load on the ski by the centerline, and he can stand up and ski the handle path. That guy has it dialed, especially going into his 2-4 side:

Razorskier1B_SGaryWilkinsonSivota
    Great vid. You can really see him moving forward into the handle when he hooks up, and the ski is "light" at the wakes, rather than loaded, allowing him to move through the edge and up on top of the ski consistently and seemlessly.
    Jim Ross
    tjm
    @matthewbrown - that's so true -- very easy after a couple of sets or days to go back to "just pulling hard and trying to run buoys". Counterproductive, but tough to get yourself to stop doing it! Been 5 days now of very disciplined sets. Gotta keep it going.
    Jim Ross
  • AdamCordAdamCord Posts: 492 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    This is the best video I have of me attempting to do this. Proof that an uncoordinated wally can sort of make shortline look easy if skiing the handle path.

I know there's some question about the whole "ride a flat ski" part of this concept. In this video I'm trying very hard to ride a flat ski through the centerline and off the 2nd wake, but you can see the result is just a very slow edge change. In reality everything happens so fast that you won't be on a flat ski for very long.

38off 36mph