Strange Self Coaching? Odd slalom ideas?

HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator
edited August 23 in Technique & Theory
I did something today that I guess makes sense but I would never think to coach it. Maybe it is more of a trick then a tip.

Whatever, is there stuff that you think about that gets you more balls but that you most skiers to not think about?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator
    My thing? It was just chin up from the wakes to the ball. Not that I am normally head down. Does not seem like a HUGE thing but it definitely changed my score today. When it worked I was like "Who would ever have guessed?"

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

ReggieO
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,882 Crazy Baller
    edited August 23
    Are you sure it wasn't just the ski? Rossi had a whole article about vision.
    Bob Grizzi
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 263 Solid Baller
    More pressure on your left arm as you turn in and pull through the gate. It helps me get my hips and handle connected
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    Horton
  • Mateo VargasMateo Vargas Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    "You don't have time to think up there. If you think, you're dead."
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
    ScarletArrow9400keithh2oskierthager
  • JGrayJGray Posts: 62 Baller
    Honestly I think this is a great topic. I have found that at times a simple idea such as "chin up" or "palm up through turn" or "left arm pressure at gate" helps me actually get my body to do a much more complex action such as "hip to handle" or "counter rotate" that for some reason I struggle at actually implementing while on the water. But yes I have used all three listed above to simplify a more complex thought and has helped me achieve those at warp speed on the water trying to scrap out a hard pass.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,164 Mega Baller
    I think this speaks to how you can say something to a skier 99 different ways and the 100th way is the one that will make sense to them.
    andjulesMattPThan_Bogan
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,818 Mega Baller
    My go-to self coaching tip when things aren't going right:

Driver: What are you going to think about on this pass?

Me: Absolutely nothing.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    Whenever I find myself trailing my hips or looking down at the buoy I think about shooting a bow and arrow at the pylon. It keeps your shoulders back, your hips up, and extends your arm nice and straight toward the pylon. When you draw a bow back, its best to be one smooth motion. Works for me!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    UWSkier
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 569 Crazy Baller
    It is amazing how little things make such a difference. Whether it is body position, fin settings, or arm pressure etc...... A sport that we seem to improve with every run through the course.